I am the Thread Killer

T-40

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

Well, you could always wave a diaper in her face to remind her what happened the last time you two got too cozy. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Speaking of which, how much are you sleeping these days? biggrin.gif

I'm sleeping pretty well! 6-7 hours a night usually.

Of course, I'm not sleeping in the same room as the wife and little one. I tried and I can't manage to even fall asleep as I'm always hearing her little breathing noises and such. I'm a light sleeper with dog ears so all kinds of noises bug me.

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

Melanie You're welcome!

Hey, I have a job-related question for you. How much time do you spend outside of school hours (nights, weekends) prepping for classes? And what do you teach again (grade and subject)?

I have a fuzzy memory that it's English, but I'm probably brainfarting.

I ask because I'm submitting an application for a 2-year master's in teaching of Social Studies with an ESL add-on. I hope to do it in 1.5 years, maybe faster... smile.gif

Possibly, the amount of time it took me to see this and reply goes someway to answering your question!! biggrin.gif

You asked at the wrong time really. I have a real downer on at the moment about time spent outside 'normal' school hours. This was my week:

Monday - 8am-6.45pm - 2 hours marking coursework at home

Tuesday - 8am-6pm - 1 hour marking books at home, 30 minutes planning Wednesday's lessons

Wednesday - 8am-7pm - 1 hour at home marking

Thursday - 8am-8pm - didn't do anything when got home so wasn't planned for Friday

Friday - 8am-5.30pm and I've brought home more coursework and another set of books. I also need to plan for Monday and Tuesday. Probably about 5 hours work for the weekend.

Next week will be pretty much the same, except I'll be at school later on Monday.

It is a lot of work. A lot. But the rewards are fantastic. I was congratulated by the Assistant Headteacher today because 10 of my low ability year 9 class acheived level 5 (national average) in the mock SATs - he was only expecting 2 or 3 to get level 5.

You were right, it is English. This means harder work marking everything - it's not prescriptive like, for example, Maths. There's no right or wrong answer. I teach 11-18 year olds.

• Members

Originally posted by Melanie

Possibly, the amount of time it took me to see this and reply goes someway to answering your question!! biggrin.gif

You asked at the wrong time really. I have a real downer on at the moment about time spent outside 'normal' school hours. This was my week:

Monday - 8am-6.45pm - 2 hours marking coursework at home

Tuesday - 8am-6pm - 1 hour marking books at home, 30 minutes planning Wednesday's lessons

Wednesday - 8am-7pm - 1 hour at home marking

Thursday - 8am-8pm - didn't do anything when got home so wasn't planned for Friday

Friday - 8am-5.30pm and I've brought home more coursework and another set of books. I also need to plan for Monday and Tuesday. Probably about 5 hours work for the weekend.

Next week will be pretty much the same, except I'll be at school later on Monday.

It is a lot of work. A lot. But the rewards are fantastic. I was congratulated by the Assistant Headteacher today because 10 of my low ability year 9 class acheived level 5 (national average) in the mock SATs - he was only expecting 2 or 3 to get level 5.

You were right, it is English. This means harder work marking everything - it's not prescriptive like, for example, Maths. There's no right or wrong answer. I teach 11-18 year olds.

biggrin.gif

thumb.gif

Mel, you rock.

At least it's two hours on bad nights, right? That is sucky. Gives pause for second thoughts, too, but I think I can handle that...maybe...

It was the 15 hour days with 4 hours of sleep (if that - guaranteed two or three days per week, and frequently 10 hours for the other days, plus working most of each weekend) that almost did me in while teaching my first year of higher ed over 2003-04. That's why I have to ask, 'cause if I had to do that again...oy. Don't want to think about it.

Granted, I'd probably overprepare in secondary school, too. frown.gif

The other thing was, it was near impossible to tell if I was making a dent with mostly well-heeled kids, some whom had some rather remarkably rude behaviors...

On the other hand, I think East Europeans learning English and maybe Social Studies would be a lot more appreciative of the work you put in, and fun. wink.gif