Are musicians really all unreliable?

stype

• Members

I'm in a band right now. Been with them for almost a year and we've played a couple small bar shows here and there. We've got a lot of talent but I'm so different from the rest of the guys, we really never hang out. I'm known as "the reliable one". I'm the only one in the band who ever shows up to practice within a half hour of when we say we are going to meet. I'm the only one who spends time practicing when we aren't together, and I'm the only one who ever follows through on anything they say they are going to do. I get real fed up being in this band sometimes. I'm the only person in this band who actually has a decent job, and I attack my music with the same amount of professionalism that I apply at work. Its a joke among all of us about they are so unreliable but I guess the question is why do I put up with them? Theres times when I want to quit but the music we put out is good and its not like we don't get along. Is this how all musicians are or am I the one who is different? If I go try to find other musicians will I always be frustrated by their lack of effort and dedication?

• Members

Welcome to the music business! Just so you know, there are flakes in every walk of life, but you're much more likely to meet them in the entertainment business than any other.

Much of the time spent putting bands together and playing is actually sorting out the flakes. You're not going to change people...you can give a "head's up" that you don't want to continue in this fashion and see if they'll dedicate themselves to the band a bit more, but it's likely that you're going to leave the group. Even if things improve, it's probably temporary, and their true colors will come shining through once again.

Every ad you see on a board at a music store says "must be dedicated" on it for a reason...everyone likes the idea of being a rock star, but they don't want to do the hard work required to get there. It only looks easy from the outside.

Keep looking...eventually you'll find kindred spirits.

• Members

No I think there are many stable musicians out there.

I find that the bands that fall together tend to have more of those sort of problems.

If you carefully select the members through auditions and such I think you have a better chance of weeding out the flakes.

Max

• Members

Alright well thanks for the posts. I've played guitar for 8 years but this is my first time in a real band, so its hard for me to judge. I'll probably keep playing with these guys for a while. The music is still good and they haven't done anything too bad yet, but I'm just waiting for the day to come where they really piss me off and let me down.

• Members

Every ad you see on a board at a music store says "must be dedicated" on it for a reason...everyone likes the idea of being a rock star, but they don't want to do the hard work required to get there. It only looks easy from the outside.

Keep looking...eventually you'll find kindred spirits.

Agreed. There are flakes in every business. I do agree with a previous post that there seem to be more in music (or, perhaps the arts in general?). You have the right attitude. ractice, improve, know your stuff, treat it professionally.

It is easy for some to not be that way as there is no 'guaranteed paycheck' every Friday. And for those with that attitude, there never will be either.

• Members

There are a lot of flakes out there. Seems like most times, talent and creativity come at a price, and the price is usually the lack of common sense.

I feel very blessed with the current bunch of guys I'm with. Every one is a great guy who pulls their weight, and does their homework. It helps that we're all older and have families, mortgages, and day jobs. so we're used to responsibility.

• Members

How many fine chefs do you see working at Mc Donalds?

It seems to me the number of flakes is proportional to how much money you make playing.

For example, when I played in a blues band for fun last summer, the musicians didn't show up on time , didn't learn parts, etc etc. In that band you were lucky to get $100 a gig per person

But playing a in a corporate/wedding band where the pay starts at $300 per person, guess what? The players show up and they are on time. They know that if they aren't , there are a whole lot of other musicians who would like that gig.

There has to be a band leader, or manager who sets down the rules.

My rule is, if you make the great money, you'll get the best players with the most professional habits. If you play low end gigs, you won't get the best players or the best personal habits from the players.

Again, how many fine chefs do you see working at Mc Donalds?

Same principle applies in any business. If you are responsible, try to up your level and get with players in a band that is pro and making great money. They'll be glad to have you.

Stefan

coverbandbook.com

• Members

I've played guitar for 8 years but this is my first time in a real band,

Herein lies the crux of the issue. The thing is, when you first start playing in bands, you usually have to start out playing with guys that no one else is playing with. And it usually doesn't take long to find out why they aren't in a working band already. You just have to stay with it and keep 'trading up" until you find guys that are compatibale, commited, and responsible. It's called "paying your dues." It sucks, but that's part of the process.

Back in the early 80s, I was 'big news' around where I live, having a full time road band that made a record album with a label, etc etc. I quit, got married, moved and retired for a few years. After about 8 years I came back and got back into the scene. And few people were around who knew me form back when, so I had to pretty much start all over again, going through the process of weeding out the losers. It took me a few years, but I finally got a great band again, made 4 CDs, played a lot of high profile festivals and concerts, etc etc. You just have to go through it if you want it.

Best of luck to you, and don't give up. That's the biggest reason people fail-they quit too soon.

• Members

Musicians? No.......

Drunks and stoners? Absolutely........

Did I make it that obvious? I'm actually the only one in the band that doesn't drink or smoke. The drinking doesn't bother me so much, but these guys smoke weed sometimes 10 times a day. This reason alone is probably going to be the reason why I will eventually leave this band. They are in a constant dazed state and can barely hold a conversation much of the time. Its like we get along great but then its time for them to smoke up again and we go our separate ways. We haven't practiced in a few weeks and are supposed to get together next week, but I'm not sure I'm going to be up for it. We played a show a couple weeks ago that was the biggest show we've ever done. We got paid squat and there were maybe 25 people in the whole bar, almost all of which were friends of ours. On top of that, we ended up needing to fill time and we had to play 10-15 songs extra that we had never practiced once. And on top of that, I've been telling them for months the best thing this band could do would be to move me from guitar to bass and we'd be real solid, but no one but me wants to do that.

• Members

Ah yes. The weed factor.

Some percentage of grass huffers get focused and remain coherant when they get high. God bless 'em. The other percentage...feh. And if you're on the outside looking in (ie straight), they can seem like real morons.

(Like the surfer stoner who lives upstairs seems to me now. As I type this, he's pumping that reggae bass through the ceiling- a sure sign that he's praising Jah again. Morning, noon and night. What a bore.)

I don't smoke at practice anymore, and find the whole experience much more real. I bet you'd be happier with folks that have the same ethic as you. They're out there.

• Members

It comes down to ,,,, the question. do people what to play or get high and drunk. I dont have a problem with people who drink or smoke weed. If its more important than the music, it isnt going to work. My rule i am going to apply as i work my way back on to that ladder strat talked about is no booze or smoke at practice or gigs. My plan is the network and nab the guys out of bands that are fed up with the boozer and pot heads that while in working bands, are working with bandmates that are sick of the isssue. rat

• Members

Some percentage of grass huffers get focused and remain coherant when they get high. God bless 'em. The other percentage...feh. And if you're on the outside looking in (ie straight), they can seem like real morons.

Yeah, and most of the "other percentage" are in denial and THINK they're part of the first group. :rolleyes:

• Members

IME pot saps ambition, since the primary goal is to get high, and the only motivation to work is in finding different ways to get high. When my brother and I used to smoke (all those years ago) our favorite thing was finding things to make pipes and water bongs out of. Looking back on it I see how stupid it was, but whaddya want? I was young and stupid, and did dumb things that young and stupid people do.

It's apparent that you're planning your exit from this group, and I think you're right to do so. You're not happy musically, you're frustrated with the work ethics of your bandmates, and you're wanting "big shows" to pay worth a {censored} and have more than 25 of your friends there. Move on, and don't look back.

• Members
IME pot saps ambition,

I dont know if I agree with that totally. Pot is good for home practice and such, Its not a bad motivator when you have a boring no brainer job to do around the house. Like mow grass,,, detail a scooter or move 10 yards of dirt with a shovel and a wheel barrel.

I dont think it helps people play better on gigs or at practice or gets people off their butts to put pipe dreams into real life action. Its like anything ,,,you can let it control your life. If it does its not a good thing. In moderation it has its place...... at band practice i think its ounter productive... just like booze is. rat

• Members

Well, I've known plenty of people (I'm related to some, too) that have (had) tons of potential and ability, and just don't pursue it because of this excuse or that excuse.

Basically, I say "get your head out of that baggie and get to work"! When I used to get stoned, I never wanted to do anything that didn't relate to getting stoned except jam, eat, and watch tv...it's not like I haven't been there.

My best example: my brother has nearly all the equipment for a commercial recording studio, and has done some small-time recording projects a few years ago. He's incredibly talented, and a great guy, but he just never gets motivated enough to make running a studio a reality. He says it's his dream to be a full-time producer/engineer, but he can't get his head together enough to make it happen.

• Members

One other thing...There are two stages...practice and rehearsal.

In practice...that's what you do on YOUR time.

you learn your material.

You run through said material at reharsal (duh)

I dont care if one smokes or drinks.

Do it after a SUCCESSFUL rehearsal.

Am I making any sense? I ben 'mokin' and gettin' ma drink om this 'eve.... :thu:

:D

• Members

You will eventually find folks that are as dedicated as you are. I did and have been playing with basically the same guys for about 30 years. There may have been some "grassing" in the early days (not my thing) but we were musically on the same page even though we had diverse influences.

• Members

Most of 'em are pretty reliable. Except, in my case, bass players. I've played with six of 'em, only one who had his head on straight. The others had loads of issues and where totally unreliable. I wonder if there's some reason for that...

Archived