Haven't had THIS happen before...

• Members

Played one of our monthly clubs last night, were setting up in the afternoon as usual, and all of the sudden there was a huge crash over by the empty cases on the dance floor. A middle-aged woman just fell completely into it, and had to be helped up and out. It didn't look good; then I saw it, a slender white cane, she was blind. :eek::(

Wow, what can you do but apologize?? The cases weren't blocking any walkway or anything, but being blind she didn't know what was going on. I didn't see her again, I hope she's OK.

This is one of those things, you wonder how you could've prevented it, and I don't really see how we could've. :confused:

• Members

Well, there's not much you could've done. I mean, you didn't see her, you didn't deliberately try to trip her. And plus, she obviously wasn't using her cane right if she tripped over something right in front of her. Isn't the point of those cane things to PREVENT this kind of thing?

• Members

Hi Botch!

I would say, from where I was standing, that we actually did have a ton of gear out where someone walking to the bar could have run into it. It's not that someone couldn't get around the cases, but you would have to be watching where you were going. If you had vision trouble to start, and were now in the significantly dimmer space of the club, it would be easy to stumble over something.

The only way to have prevented the accident would have been making sure absolutely nothing was where it could be a hazard. I would argue that such a thing is not possible in that club (with our gear). We could take up all the regular floor space, leaving a perfect path along the window-wall to the bar - but then someone would trip when they were walking around the tables.

The bottom line is that any of the regular patrons would have been fine - but she couldn't see well enough to avoid the gear. (Of course, not five minutes later, I nearly tumbled over my electrical workbox. I was stepping backward, and almost keeled over when I made contact. That would have been funny, though.)

Archived