The LDS Church smacks Live Music again...

Mr. Botch

• Members

How familiar are you with the 10th Amendment? One might argue that the Commerce Clause is violated when Utah's alcohol restrictions prevent, let's say, the Coors Company from selling its product across state lines. In a similar vein, it could affect the draw of a touring band playing in a club without a liquor license.

What I'm referring to is a state discriminating against a person's religion--or in this case, one's lack of religion. I have nothing against a group practicing their religion in private, but I don't support it's use in law that affects everyone. It's just not fair...

I don't see how their restricting who can and can't sell alcohol and what time, etc. interferes with your ability to practice religion (or not practice) as you see fit.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with many posters above that, if the majority of the population agree with a position and it becomes law, I should just learn to live with it. As the above example shows, though, its not the majority that rules here, but rather "the church".

Excuse me, but the "church" didn't rule. The state legislature did. You know, the ELECTED (by the people) representatives ? Opinion polls, while maybe worthwhile "food for thought" for your legislators when coming to voting decisions, should no more "rule" then the church should.

• Members

Seems like you don't agree with your state's politics. Why not move to another state? That's what I would do if faced with this.

He's in the Air Force.

And I don't buy that anyone who doesn't like some of the politics where they live should just move. Someone might have a lot of good reasons for living where they do yet still feel that some of its laws suck. In fact, I'd bet no one could move anywhere where they wouldn't feel there were at least some laws that suck. And they certainly have a right to speak out about it and work for change.

• Members

He's in the Air Force.

And I don't buy that anyone who doesn't like some of the politics where they live should just move. Someone might have a lot of good reasons for living where they do yet still feel that some of its laws suck. In fact, I'd bet no one could move anywhere where they wouldn't feel there were at least some laws that suck. And they certainly have a right to speak out about it and work for change.

Oh, I didn't realize he was in the Air Force. I'm just saying that, for me, if I couldn't play out in a particular area, I'd move to where I could. Just my opinion.

• Members

Well, let's see:

By far, the largest number of Mormons by percentage live in Utah.

These people vote for those who will represent them, which is their right. If the majority of Utahans don't even want liquor at all, they're free to ban it, just as nannystater crowd in California has banned smoking in entire city limits.

Don't like it? You'll have to work to change the law, live with it, or move.

Why should a majority have the right to impose their will on everyone else? Ever heard of tyranny of the majority? By your logic, it would have been ok for the Nazis to kill the Jews if most Germans supported it, or for Southerners to lynch blacks if it had mass popular white support. The majority doesn't have the right to tell me what to do if I'm not hurting anyone else. What if anti-music Baptist type fundamentalists became a majority in the U.S., and decided to outlaw music, card playing, and dancing. By your logic, that would be OK.

• Members

I believe the U.S. Constitution also guarantees the right of people of a like mind to band together to further a mutually shared political agenda. If individuals choose to receive their guidance from their church or their own private political beliefs, well I think the Constitution also guarantees that too, doesn't it? Weren't your legislators there in Utah ELECTED by the people?

In the future we won't have rights they we be called privileges drastic changes like the Patriot Act guarantees your loss of rights there's many more to come. Stay tune to our government's next how to {censored} the people out of there Bill of rights and Constitution. As Thomas Jefferson stated a government that fears the people is called Liberty but if the people fear the government is called Tyranny and BTW to you religious {censored}s out there:poke: Witchcraft still the oldest religion known to man.:lol:

Archived