Band member stereotypes

• Members
Add a few years and you'll end up like us . .

Drummer - plays the same fills in every song - rushes, drags the time a lot - but he owns everything and writes the checks and gets the gigs.

Not me AT ALL! Playing the same fills over and over just gets too boring, I always like to try to mix it up, keep things interesting.

• Members

Bassist: Always borrowing someone else's bass 'cause he's pawned his...again. Always late, shows up just in time for the first set, apologizing all over himself...again

Lead guitarist: Has an inferiority complex and threatens to quit the band if the rhythm guy takes one more of his solos.

Rhythm guitar: Owns most of the gear, does most of the setup and breakdown but can't play his way out of a wet paper bag.

Drummer: Drunk by the end of the first set.

• Members

the only real consistancies ive noticed is that bass players are USUALLY chilled out and keyboardests are USUALLY the geekiest.

The thing about guitarists being obnoxious isnt always true, i've played with plenty of laid back guitarists. Drummers are a total crapshoot.

• Members

LOL almost everyone says drummer always drunk. Mine is usually hammered by the end of the first set too. What's amazing is that he can still play. Usually by the end of the night, he's so plastered he has to bum a ride home (from gigs)

• Members

the only real consistancies ive noticed is that bass players are USUALLY chilled out and keyboardests are USUALLY the geekiest.

The thing about guitarists being obnoxious isnt always true, i've played with plenty of laid back guitarists. Drummers are a total crapshoot.

Keyboard players typically have had music lessons and some formal training. Geeks ,, yea prolly. But some of those geeks can play several instruments as well and when they leave a band ,, its not long before their phone is ringing for another seat. The only problem i have with being a keyboard player is , you do end up hauling alot of gear.

• Members

Here's a band I used to be in, many years ago:

Guitarist: User - of women who are stupid enough to let him mooch off of them until they finally get fed up after 7 - 10 months.

Thinks he can make women feel the same passion with his non-existent lovemaking skills as he does with his singing and playing... the mark of a true idiot.:rolleyes:

Bassist: User - of drugs and alcohol, and people stupid enough to enable his habit, or give him a ride to the gig.

Also winds up getting used, himself, because he can't say "no" to anything, or anybody. Plays well when he's sober, though.

Drummer: Abuser - of drums... An afront to anything tasteful or musical, who treats his instrument like a punching bag.

Also treats his women the same way.

Me: A babysitter to men who are older than me. :facepalm:

• Members

Lead Guitarist: Control freak, constantly twiddling with his gear because nothing is ever right. Obnoxious when drunk.

Rhythm Guitarist: Good intentions but apparently incapable of learning his parts. Morose when drunk.

Drummer: Friendly guy. Talks incessantly when drunk.

Bass Player: The quiet one. Only talks when drunk.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Keyboard - the "sophisticated one". Usually has some theory under his belt. Will argue minor thirds with the guitar players at the drop of a hat. Brings wife to gig.

Wow your right LOL.

You left out the part about winning every chord debate every time.

• Members

I'll play along...

Our band:

Bassist: Yup typical. Tall, skinny, laid back. Never has much to say. When he finally says something its usually hilarious and cracks the whole band up.

Guitarist: (Me) "Type A Personality" Things have to be perfect for me, even down to wrapping up mic cables properly. Control a lot of the bands direction but at the same time I get sh*t done. Probably could relax a bit.

Singer: Complains about having to buy a microphone. Has the chops and confidence to kick some ass at our live shows. Always has 1% of a cold, or sore throat, or whatever else the problem is... hypochondriac.

Drummer: Smart ass. Always brings the beer. Solid as a metronome. Somehow is always getting out of load out and load in...

Thank god we're all good friends...

• Members

Originally Posted by Outkaster View Post

Keyboard - the "sophisticated one". Usually has some theory under his belt. Will argue minor thirds with the guitar players at the drop of a hat. Brings wife to gig.

You left out the part about winning every chord debate every time.

Wow, you all have seen me play.

• Members

Singer - primadonna, center-of-attention, very outgoing/vocal

Guitarist - Loose cannon, crazy, belligerent, energetic

Bassist - Nice quiet fat guy who doesn't really annoy anyone, quirky

Drummer - Passed out in jail

Any others?

My singers live up to it.

I'm the guitarist, and I'm crazy, energetic, and can be a loose cannon.

My bass player, is the guitarist description x100 (imagine 37 years of undiagnosed HDAD)

My keyboard player is the bass player description.

My drummer would probably be passed out in jail...after assaulting the singers for being such primadonnas lol!

• Members

Originally Posted by Outkaster View Post

Wow, you all have seen me play.

My key guy doesn't bring his fiance, but he's the sohpisticated one who ALWAYS corrects me when I say something like "it goes from C# to C to a B flat", as I never think to say the proper names in relevance to the key. Always points the subtle extensions in chords I miss. Damn, I envy his ear.

• Members

I believe it was David Lee Roth who compared the roles to people in nightclubs.

The guitar player is that cool, friendly dude you step outside to smoke a joint with.

The singer is the guy who screws your girlfriend while you're hanging with the guitar player.

The drummer is the guy getting thrown out of the bar....and the bass player is the guy who looks around wondering what the hell just happened.

• Members

I believe it was David Lee Roth who compared the roles to people in nightclubs.

The guitar player is that cool, friendly dude you step outside to smoke a joint with.

The singer is the guy who screws your girlfriend while you're hanging with the guitar player.

The drummer is the guy getting thrown out of the bar....and the bass player is the guy who looks around wondering what the hell just happened.

Michael Anthony could write a hell of a book, if he wanted to, though...

• 9 years later...

Archived