Band member stereotypes

• Members

Singer - primadonna, center-of-attention, very outgoing/vocal

Guitarist - Loose cannon, crazy, belligerent, energetic

Bassist - Nice quiet fat guy who doesn't really annoy anyone, quirky

Drummer - Passed out in jail

Any others?

It's the exact opposite in my band. I'm the guitarist, but I'm usually laid back about stuff. Our bassist is the loud one who's always trying to be the center of attention.

• Members

Singer - egocentric and controlling, wildman on stage, quiet offstage

Guitarist - creative and "not quite right" mentally

Bassist - ADHD....waaaaaaaaaay ADHD

Drummer - loud and obnoxious, usually the last one to be set up and the first one to get a beer.

• Members

Female singer - Shows up 15 minutes before show time wondering why her mic stand isn't set-up and wired and discovering that she's left her lyric fake book back at the hotel.

Male singer - Too busy "recruiting" females for the after-party to help with set-up. Too busy "bonding with fans" to help with tear down.

• Members

Singer - show boat and diva; thinks he owns the band. Chicks dig him.

Guitar player - prima donna, walking inflated ego to all other musicians. Will tell everyone who will listen about all of the big acts he's played with and how good he is. Sometimes too obnoxious for all but the most adventurous chicks.

Bass - Usually the "quiet hippie". Happy as long as drummer is keeping good time. Brings live-in girlfriend to gig. Goes outside on breaks to argue with her.

Keyboard - the "sophisticated one". Usually has some theory under his belt. Will argue minor thirds with the guitar players at the drop of a hat. Brings wife to gig.

Drummer - the "animal" of the band. Always wired and bouncing around the bar on breaks. Takes two chicks home at the end of the gig.

Soundman - the "worried one". Has self esteem issues. Always scowling and unhappy with the guitar players. Goes home alone at end of gig.

• Members

Bassist - Doesn't know how to actually play bass. Late. Likes to call the shots, while contributing little to nothing to the band. Stupid ideas.

Guitarist - Sits quietly in his corner until it's time to play. Questionably autistic.

Drummer - ADHD. 'Nuff said.

Singer - Late. Doesn't like to move or buy his own equipment. Stupid ideas.

If you haven't noticed, I have a grudge against a lot of bass players. :facepalm:

• Members

My take:

Lead vocalist - show off extrovert

Lead guitarist - Prima donna

Bass player - get along, go along

Keyboard player - thinks he's the music director

drummer - clown

Funny thing is that I play bass and keys. When I find I'm doing more of one than the other, my general interaction with the band changes. That would make me easier to work with as a bassist.

• Members

Singer - egocentric and controlling, wildman on stage, quiet offstage

Guitarist - creative and "not quite right" mentally

Bassist - ADHD....waaaaaaaaaay ADHD

Drummer - loud and obnoxious, usually the last one to be set up and the first one to get a beer.

LOL +25 That's totally my band...except our drummer isn't too obnoxious.

• Members

my experiences:

Singer: The party animal, does it for chicks and free drugs. Usually late to practices, never invests in own gear, expects band to revolve around him/her.

Bass: Aloof, good enough to hold a rhythm, but not good enough to be creative. Likes chasing tail, as if in competition with the singer. Always has volume 50 decibels above all other instruments.

Drums: Easily controlled by female counterpart. Usually leaves the band because the gf/wife gets sick of dealing with it. Whipped beyond belief, and usually on several drugs to ease the pain of nagging.

Keyboards: Easily the most easy-going in the group, quitetly lets everyone else argue and smokes buttloads marijuana. "check out this trippy new sound I created dude"...

Guitarists: Overconfident, fail to realize that all that wanking means nothing when they can't carry a simple rhythm. Easily intimidated and quick to confront everyone on ideals and philosophies. Usually the "visionary" of the band, in direct contrast to the equally common visionary singer.

• Members

My band

Drummer - Laid back, monster player, back problems, so he lets up around the middle of the third set.....

Guitar Player 1 - totally owns the 'aging rock star' look and vibe, loves to play, plays note for note, a little finicky when it comes to political talk, just wants things to be fair, I've heard runors of 10 inches, I've not comfirmed these rumors.

Guitar player 2 - likes his green relaxation before gigs, it doesn't mess him up. He recently left his wife for his g-friend of a few years, has tons of pedals and makes some cool sonic vibes, really easy-going... really..

Me (bass and lead vocals) - I am a hard-headed 5'7" 200 pound wrecking ball when I get going, until then I've got the front-guy with no 'tude thing going, I'm personable and up-front, I talk, I am the mouthpiece.. I rock my bass like a motherf*cker and no one can stop me... try to pick a fight, I'll take your bate, I hate getting hit, but love the intellectual challenge that comes before the fight (because I'm smarter thatn the guy who thinks he has a reason to want to fight me) and I can throw down if I need to... I don't talk politics, at all, and if you drag me into a political discussion be ready for a possible offensive statement from me on how to handle the situation, (don't quit the band because of it, you started it , pussy... uh sorry, going back in time in my head.).....

so that's us in a nutshell... actually this is us in a nutshell "Let me out of this F*cking nutshell!"

but yeah, it's great to make broad generalizations about people just by what they play, the only one that is ever right is the chick singer, that one is always dead- on .. "what do you mean I have to plug in my own cable, I don't know where to plug in my own cable......."

• Members

Bass: Aloof, good enough to hold a rhythm, but not good enough to be creative. Likes chasing tail, as if in competition with the singer. Always has volume 50 decibels above all other instruments.

hahahah that's me!! my amps freakin loud and everyone in the band gets pretty pissed off. and even when it's louder than everyone else's i still think it's not loud enough hahahaha

found this thread to be amusing so i signed up!!

hello everyone first post!!!

• Members

For me and at least one other musician I know well enough to say it's true, too much bass masks the mid-range, vocals, keyboards and guitar. In my hearing it's like the bass starts creeping up to smother all other sounds. I realize that my hearing, that has been like this at least since I was 19 years old, may not be like your hearing, but I'm sure when ever someone asks you to turn down, it's for the good of the band and not because of their ego. Work with your bandmates for everyone's sake. Too much bass isn't an improvement. For me it was a reason to not hire anyone else to play bass and to pickup the instrument cold. We were gigging 5 nights a week steady within six months of my starting my first stringed instrument. Can you say the same? (We were getting paid. Never playing for free. Two musicians were full time college students who didn't have time to look for gigs.)

For those who care, I don't think we used music or stands. I know we knew more than 150 songs. Just don't know how many more. Didn't really have a song list that I can remember. Now I carry a music stand and charts for each band I play with. Don't look at them much.

• Members

I see a few consistent stereotypes with several of the local bands around here, the most notable having to do with uneducated drummers who goof off too much and guitarists who frequently lose scope of what they're actually working toward.

With the guys I play with it kind of breaks down like this:

Drummer: Spends too much time trying to find new things to do and almost no time perfecting any of them. Would probably be better off playing with someone like John Zorn.

Bassist: Spends too much time trying to find new things to do and almost no time perfecting any of them. Would probably be better off playing solo instrumental guitar at open mic nights.

Guitarist: Spends too much time trying to find new things to do and almost no time perfecting any of them. Would probably be better off playing a piano in a lounge somewhere.

• Members

I always think of bassists as tall lanky guys who are the chill guy in the band, and the translators between the guitarists and drummer

I certainly resemble this. :thu: Though I do take a "music director" role a lot. I feel most at home on bass, but I'm decent at the other guy's instruments too, so I tend to tell them what to do when they're otherwise clueless. ;)

• Members

Add a few years and you'll end up like us . .

Drummer - plays the same fills in every song - rushes, drags the time a lot - but he owns everything and writes the checks and gets the gigs.

Guitar Player - great guy - cancer survivor - one of the "gems" out there that are getting harder to find . . .

Trumpet Player - cancer survivor - great musician - dedicated beyond reason - been with band for 30+ years - loves his Gin

Sax Player - fine musician - runs sound from stage - loves his Gin

Male Singer - Great range, but he's getting a little bit "tired" - perhaps it's the cigs . . . he's very easy to work with and exhibits none of the typical male singer ego problems.

Female Singer - typical bi-polar Diva - when she's on the upswing, she's really great - when she's on the downside, look out.

Keyboard/Bass Player - me - control freak deluxe - and I'm ok with it!

All that being said, these are some of my very best friends.