Sign in to follow this  
Scafeets

Spazmatics - Is this the new business model for cover bands?

They should be required to post a sign on the door when they play stating "Most parts of this performance are pre-recorded".

how about printing that on the face of Britney Spears concert tickets?

They do, that's were I got it. All Britney tickers have a disclaimer that say "portions of show pre-recorded"

They do, that's were I got it. All Britney tickers have a disclaimer that say "portions of show pre-recorded"

I believe that's law in some states.

I also believe that most audiences don't give a damn.

so what have we established here:

1. Britney is a no-talent hack that sells out Arenas

2. Pre-recorded tracks (backing or leading) are A-OK with Joe Public

3. we could all make more $ if we quite music and gave blowjobs behind the 7-Eleven

It's just the way of the world. If you want to participate in the Pop/Rock music world, there is an increasing amount of reliance on backing tracks and pitch-corrected singing. I don't think it matters if it's big time performers or every little corner bar band, the technology is here and it ain't going away.

Raging against it won't stop it, and to the average audience member it's a non-issue.

Hell, if the Milli Vanilli scandal happened today, no one would bat an eye!

So I did a Youtube search for The Spazmatics. For all the backing tracks and such I still hear a large number of mistakes and off key singing/playing. But I don't see any reason to get mad at them. If they're taking away shows from you, then that just means people would rather see them than you. That's an issue you need to work on.

As far as cover bands go, there's little room for musical integrity. You get booked based on how much money you can bring in to a bar/club, not on how good of a musician you are. We all know this. If you're that concerned about musical integrity, then start an original band. But then, even the top original artists are doing this too.

What does that tell you? Music is dead? Far from it. I'm seeing a resurgence in the last few years compared to the last ten or so for the local scene around here. I say let people do what they want. The public will go see what they want to see. If you don't personally feel right using backing tracks and harmonizers and such, then don't. No one is forcing you to. Maybe you'll find an audience that supports that.

Well the reality is if the "band" brings people and the bar makes money they don't give a rat's butt whether anyone is actually playing. I was told yesterday that the Spazmatics are 100% tracks, no real playing or singing - now whether this is 100% correct I don't know. The venue's don't care until the audience cares.

But when it's done poorly as it was the other night, the audience will walk just as if a real band was playing like crap.

Well the reality is if the "band" brings people and the bar makes money they don't give a rat's butt whether anyone is actually playing. I was told yesterday that the Spazmatics are 100% tracks, no real playing or singing - now whether this is 100% correct I don't know. The venue's don't care until the audience cares.

But when it's done poorly as it was the other night, the audience will walk just as if a real band was playing like crap.

Exactly, if a guy swinging a dead cat over his head brings tons of people to a bar and sells the place out night after night the bar will hire him over anything else. It's all business.

so what have we established here:

1. Britney is a no-talent hack that sells out Arenas

2. Pre-recorded tracks (backing or leading) are A-OK with Joe Public

3. we could all make more $ if we quite music and gave blowjobs behind the 7-Eleven

:lol:

I think you nailed it. Around here there are so many originals bands that take themselves so seriously. It's fun to see a quirky cover band that more concerned about you having a good time. Also, Austin has a pretty large hipster scene that takes delight in all things retro & unapologetically absurd.

I prefer a really good originals band. But I also like to have a good time and take the wife somewhere she'll recognize the music and dance. There's room for both around here.

What's funny about Hipsterz is they refuse to admit they are, indeed hipsters and will try to deny that there is even such a thing.

When will "ironic" t-shirts go out of style anyhow?

And we have done just that and I don't have a victim mentality. I don't care what you do, just do it well. I appreciated what Space Rockers did, I don't care for rap music, but they brought a crowd, kept that crowd and they were entertaining. Would I see them again, no but only because I don't like the music.

Now, the other band was complete crap. And I'm sorry but it putting on a bad costume that doesn't make sense and lip syncing and doing it badly get you into A level venues then I'll stick to private parties and weddings.

If a cover band or a tribute band is entertaining to the audience, having fun, getting paid gigs, seems like a good thing. Certainly some tribute bands are better than others, but that's true of all bands.

Tribute bands for hire--find a band, get your cover band gigs.

On 1/4/2020 at 1:17 AM, Subtopic said:

YouTube spazmatics, and you see the band members are different every time lol. 

There are several versions of the act out there.  Depends what city you see them in. 

Edited by Vito Corleone