Spazmatics - Is this the new business model for cover bands?

Scafeets

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just started using 'backing tracks' as of the first of the year when I had to blow out another drummer. The bass player and myself were going to continue on. Finding people our age (50+) to play is tough. So, I bought all the stuff and started making my own tracks. Before we got too heavy into just 2 pieces, we stumbled across a drummer so the 'tracks' are me playing some rhythm guitar and keyboads/synth. Sounds great. Major acts use 'tracks' all the time. I see absolutely no problem with it as I recorded, produced and mastered all the stuff myself. No butchering or cut and pastes of other peoples music. THAT is where it becomes 'karoke' in my mind.

• Members

I've worked with a guy here in San Diego who used to work with PWE, but now does his own version. Nerds (Pocket Protectors), Metal Shop/Skool (The Aqua Nets), Boogie Nights (Platform 54) and Anthem (Jurassic Rock). Guitar (sometimes 2), bass, drums, vox. Keys, b/g vox, sound effects, occasional rhythm guitar are all tracks). It's actually pretty fun. I don't mind playing with tracks at all. Makes my life much easier both on bass and drums. I don't especially like the drums part, though, because I can't really hear my drums. Got a click & cues in one ear and FOH tracks in the other.

• Members

I just started using 'backing tracks' as of the first of the year when I had to blow out another drummer. The bass player and myself were going to continue on. Finding people our age (50+) to play is tough. So, I bought all the stuff and started making my own tracks. Before we got too heavy into just 2 pieces, we stumbled across a drummer so the 'tracks' are me playing some rhythm guitar and keyboads/synth. Sounds great. Major acts use 'tracks' all the time. I see absolutely no problem with it as I
recorded, produced and mastered all the stuff myself.
No butchering or cut and pastes of other peoples music. THAT is where it becomes 'karoke' in my mind.

I couldn't agree more. One of my favorite bands (see my avatar ;) ) uses loads of backing tracks live, but I don't think their "integrity" or the show suffers from it.

• Members

If a "band" just mimes to all backing tracks, would they still be considered a musical group? Are they still players? Where does musical creativity come in? How interchangeable do you want musicians to be? Did Ashlee Simpson really do anything wrong?

• Members

If a "band" just mimes to all backing tracks, would they still be considered a musical group? Are they still players? Where does musical creativity come in? How interchangeable do you want musicians to be? Did Ashlee Simpson really do anything wrong?

Well, they would definitely be considered performers and might be referred to as actors. Sometimes acting troupes are called "players". Musical creativity would come in on the front end when the songs were being written or the tracks being recorded.

Personally? I want my musicians to be so interchangeable that I never have to worry about availability again. And it would be nice to know that each player knew he could be replaced by 3 other guys in a heart beat. That'll keep em from flaking out and complaining for more money.:wave:

Ashlee Simpson did nothing wrong. Her drummer started the wrong track.:poke:

• Members

I dunno, I doubt I would pass up a gig like this if it presented itself.

Lessee:

- Fun music. Check

- Packed club. Check

- Getting paid. Check

What's not to like?

Dressing like a fool

Playing the crappiest songs of a crappy-music era

Having no control over your set list or band mates

Playing to tracks

What's not to like???!!

Jesus, if you're only in it for the money, there have to be other ways to make it without resorting to this.

• Members

Dressing like a fool

Playing the crappiest songs of a crappy-music era

Having no control over your set list or band mates

Playing to tracks

What's not to like???!!

Jesus, if you're only in it for the money, there have to be other ways to make it without resorting to this.

did you miss the "-fun music. Check" part? Who says it has to be crappy music? And what's wrong with dressing up like a fool? Sheesh man, you think anyone takes this seriously? It's just rock-n-roll, lighten up!

• Members

did you miss the
"-fun music. Check"
part? Who says it has to be crappy music? And what's wrong with dressing up like a fool? Sheesh man, you think anyone takes this seriously? It's just rock-n-roll, lighten up!

I could be wrong, but most of us didn't get into the game to play Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, etc. , nor do we aspire to look like this:

SpazGroup-webWht.jpg_595.jpg

• Members

I could be wrong, but most of us didn't get into the game to play Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, etc. , nor do we aspire to look like this:

that's cool as hell. Where do I sign up? :poke:

I don't know about you, but I got "into the game" to have a good time. If playing Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, or Wayne F*ing Newton gets me there, that's cool with me.

I have no artistic statement to make. I have no agenda. I'm not out to prove my prowess on the guitar. I just want to gig a few times a month, have a few laughs, and (hopefully) entertain a bar full of drunk chicks.

• Members

Speak for yourself, man.

"Her name is RIO and she dances on the sand..."

You should see how nerdy I look in every day life!:facepalm:

• Members

mime bass player =
:facepalm:

unless he was truely a mime, with the facepaint and the black-n-white stripped outfit on. Now that would be cool....

Here in CNY we have what I think must be a franchised cover band: "Nik and the Nice Guys". Near as I can tell, they have a rotating cast of musicians, and several different bands for corporate events, festivals, weddings, etc..

They specialize in medleys and variety. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but it gets old after awhile. They never finish a song!

Nik and the Nice Guys have two members that left that play with me now in the soul band I am in. They play to tracks sometimes and are not really good musicians. They have a reputation of not paying members well have earned a bad reputation in the NYS area.

• Members

I've heard even the now Vegas headquartered Fab Four ( the best Beatles tribute band ever) now have their own tribute band/ I mean they are franchising so you don't even know if you are getting THE Fab Four. Amazing.

John

• Members

I think its sad.

Truth, (or anybody else)

As I explained, I can't find the musicians I want so I played and recorded/produced/mastered my own backing tracks for my 3 piece band. I don't use 'tracks' on all of the music we enjoy doing (which we couldn't do otherwise) but on about 2/3 of the music we play.

Can you explain to me what is wrong with this?

Thanks,

UMT

• Members

that's cool as hell. Where do I sign up? :poke:

I don't know about you, but I got "into the game" to have a good time. If playing Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, or Wayne F*ing Newton gets me there, that's cool with me.

I have no artistic statement to make. I have no agenda. I'm not out to prove my prowess on the guitar. I just want to gig a few times a month, have a few laughs, and (hopefully) entertain a bar full of drunk chicks.

Whatever floats yer boat. :wave:

• Members

That gets my vote for best quote of the week. :thu:

• Members

Whatever floats yer boat.
:wave:

Not all musicians are alike. Some are more into the entertainment aspect of it than the artistic side. I'm somewhere in the middle, but probably lean more to the entertainment side. I'm in a cover band, but I still want my band to put out the best versions of songs they can. I do write originals on my own, but honestly I get more satisfaction from seeing a packed bar having a great time because of me and my band. That's just me. Others would rather work on their own tunes and try to "make it." My whole band actually used to be an original band. We went as far as we could, but no matter what, it was obvious that we weren't going to make it. We started adding more and more covers in and then realized we weren't getting any younger, let's just do what we do and have a good time.

I have a full time job and do the band on the weekends. If you want to label me an entertainer and not a musician, that's fine. I'm having a blast and making good money doing it. I don't see the harm in that.

Would I go so far as to join a band like the Spazmatics? Probably not, I do have my limits. But I can respect that that's what they want to do. I'm not threatened by it.

• Members

I think that's the core question. Who would play in a band like the Spazmatics? Assume the following:

1.) They gig regularly for $1500 a night. It's a 5 piece (I'm guessing) so your cut is $300 a night.

2.) They play to full houses of young, attractive, fun-loving people.

3.) You are given sheet music for 50 songs and expected to learn it note for note.

4.) You play it basically the same way every night except where noted in the sheet music for ad lib playing.

5.) You are expected to stay in character (NERD) while on stage.

For me, I'd be cool with it except for the acting like a nerd part. I just don't think I'd do a convincing job. I don't know if I have the energy to keep that up all show. Other than that, it sounds like a pretty good gig. I'd consider it for my "work" band.

• Members

Well there's way worse gigs, but I doubt I'd like playing that gig. I suppose it could lead to another better gig, like backing a name act. As I said in another thread, I watched the Hannah Montana concert movie with my kid. The band got to rock out a bit, but just a bit. I'm sure that gig would start feeling a bit like having a straight jacket on after a while. You get 8 bars here, but you play the solo from the record. You play with very good players, but you play the same thing note for note every night. You play for packed halls, but you get a salary.........bottom line, great gig, but not really the be all end all to me.

My problem, if it is a problem, is that I grew up listening to bands and players like Clapton and Hendrix and Page. Those guys got up and blew solos, changed 'em, extended 'em, etc. Blues guys get up and freakin blow, that's what it's about for me. A bit like a jazz approach to soloing, they had a chance to say something. To be able to improvise and be good enough to get away with it is so much more fun than playing the same stuff, even though playing stuff you have mastered can usually be more successful. To me , a balance is in order for a player to fully enjoy himself. I don't think these gigs allow that, so as a job, it's ok to make 300.00 for doing it, but it's not a gig I'd aspire to as a musician.

I think that's the core question. Who would play in a band like the Spazmatics? Assume the following:

1.) They gig regularly for $1500 a night. It's a 5 piece (I'm guessing) so your cut is $300 a night.

2.) They play to full houses of young, attractive, fun-loving people.

3.) You are given sheet music for 50 songs and expected to learn it note for note.

4.) You play it basically the same way every night except where noted in the sheet music for ad lib playing.

5.) You are expected to stay in character (NERD) while on stage.

For me, I'd be cool with it except for the acting like a nerd part. I just don't think I'd do a convincing job. I don't know if I have the energy to keep that up all show. Other than that, it sounds like a pretty good gig. I'd consider it for my "work" band.

• Members

Well there's way worse gigs, but I doubt I'd like playing that gig. I suppose it could lead to another better gig, like backing a name act. As I said in another thread, I watched the Hannah Montana concert movie with my kid. The band got to rock out a bit, but just a bit. I'm sure that gig would start feeling a bit like having a straight jacket on after a while. You get 8 bars here, but you play the solo from the record. You play with very good players, but you play the same thing note for note every night. You play for packed halls, but you get a salary.........bottom line, great gig, but not really the be all end all to me.

My problem, if it is a problem, is that I grew up listening to bands and players like Clapton and Hendrix and Page. Those guys got up and blew solos, changed 'em, extended 'em, etc. Blues guys get up and freakin blow, that's what it's about for me. A bit like a jazz approach to soloing, they had a chance to say something. To be able to improvise and be good enough to get away with it is so much more fun than playing the same stuff, even though playing stuff you have mastered can usually be more successful. To me , a balance is in order for a player to fully enjoy himself. I don't think these gigs allow that, so as a job, it's ok to make 300.00 for doing it, but it's not a gig I'd aspire to as a musician.

I think, for me, the question is, "If I could make a living playing this kind of music and performing that kind of schtick, would I do it?

If dressing like a nerd or a nurse or wearing a chicken bucket on my head while playing the same thing 3 or 4 nights a week allows me to quit my day job and still allows me the chance to play what I like on occasion, then I'm in.

To me it's not about wanting that kind of money vs expressing myself through my music. It's about trading a non musical job that I don't particularly care for for a job that wouldn't be my first choice but pays the bills and is music related.

• Members

Hmm, I just ran the numbers. If you could average 5 shows a week for 52 weeks a year, your salary would be $78,000/yr. Not bad.

From their calendar, they're pulling more like a dozen shows a month. Also, I doubt that the pay is evenly distributed. If this is the act I remember, the lead singer is singing over tracks. I'm guessing that "real" 3 hour vocal performance garners a bit more pay than a mimed instrumentalist.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with it: They're performing and people are digging it. Thats fine. I'm just not particularly interested in doing it or going to see it. Its a bit too much like a jukebox with clowns.

Frankly, I didn't like it much when Scofield used (relatively spare) backing tracks & loops in support of Uberjam.

• Members

From their calendar, they're pulling more like a dozen shows a month. Also, I doubt that the pay is evenly distributed. If this is the act I remember, the lead singer is singing over tracks. I'm guessing that "real" 3 hour vocal performance garners a bit more pay than a mimed instrumentalist.

Wow, wait a minute.

Are you saying that they don't have any musicians playing live? All backing tracks? Like Karaoke? Guys on stage acting like they're playing?

I must have missed that.

I might sing, but I wouldn't act like I was playing an instrument. They wouldn't want me for my singing, though, so I guess it's a wash.:facepalm:

Archived