I am curious...

Deeprig9

• Members

This has been brought up a billion times. DJs. I am an open minded person. I like rap, country, new wave, no wave, southern rock, brit invasion, 40's 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's I like it all.

We played a show that was hyped up by the promoter along the lines of "Yall are set up with the hottest DJ in town... the place in gonna be packed... " and our thoughts were "DJ? Ok, whatever.. if it's packed it's packed". But I was thinking a DJ that is an actual artist, cuts and fades and other DJ speak, melding old break beats with new melodies, like a good fusion chef. Afterall, this is Athens, land of the free and home of the brave.

After our set, the hottest DJ in town starts spinning. And by spinning, I mean he hooked his laptop into a mixer into the PA. He and his other DJ hype crew danced around doing the headphone-on-one-ear thing, and as promised, people showed up in packs, the DJ was indeed very popular. But he wasn't a DJ. He was a guy who did some cakewalk work on his computer, and then replayed it live through the PA and acted busy by pretending to flip faders and what not. This is the hottest DJ in town folks... not some schmuck with a laptop. People adored and praised him. He'd throw his hands up and yell something into the mic, and people went nuts. All the while, his little mac book continued streaming 0's and 1's into the mixer and he and his hype crew continued pretending to use faders.

I think yall get the point. The guy was a glorified I-Pod in a PA.

Anyone else pissed about this? Jealous? Sure... damn right I'm jealous.

• Moderators

Sure, that's dumb... although I've stopped bothering to be outraged or annoyed by the fact that anything in particular is popular with a crowd.

People have always liked and continue to like all manner of foolishness, but why lose any sleep over it? It won't change, so I try to think of it as funny rather than sad.

:idk:

Archived