My country band is going to be rich and famous

• Members

I have a friend who went to Nashville. Every waiter/waitress is a musician/singer waiting to be discovered. Make sure you've got a contract that doesn't screw you up front. You would also want a music lawyer to look it over. (Money very well spent.) DON'T GET EXCITED AND SCREWED!!!

• Members

5 members in your 40's and the only guy with a job is a professional gambler? Do you live with your parents? Or live in a rundown shack and eat ramen noodles for 3 meals a day?

Actually the 5th guy, who is full-time employed, is not a core member of the band anymore but was sitting in that night. 3 of the others were canned from a 4-night a week house band a couple weeks ago. 2+ months ago the gambler and I were laid off from the same company, and shortly after that I had an accident requiring hand surgery, which has only recently healed enough to do anything. All of us do much more gigging than most on this board, which helps us stay afloat- or at least not sink as fast.

• Members
Last night 4 mysterious guys from Alabama dropped in at our club gig, hung out for awhile and one left a card stating he was a certified music mogul as well as a bass player. Well, everyone knows real music moguls do not play instruments.

But this afternoon he called the band leader and said his group had dropped in clubs all over MS and LA over the weekend, and that we were by far the best country band, would we be interested in going to Nashville and cutting an album? So the bandleader is calling all the guys to see if every one is on board. Seeing as how none of us have JOBS (other than the drummer, professional gambler) it seems likely we could pursue this.

Of course, it turns out they dropped in on another (rock cover) band and told them THEY were the best they had seen over the weekend. I'm wondering if anybody that gigged in Lousiana, MS or otherwise close by had a similar encounter over the weekend. I want to know, so maybe we could hang out together when we all go to Nashville to cut our albums.
;)
. Anybody?

Hang on to your wallet. It sounds like the old pay to record deal. The classic line is you have to be willing to invest in your future.

• Members

I'm not sure if my thing is really legit or not. It's been backburnered while we work on finishing up tracking for the album we've been doing at our drummer's house. The one thing I will say is that it doesn't seem to be just a bunch of hot air designed to drive business to a project studio.

I'm happy to have gig this weekend as well. We'd taken a month off to focus on tracking.

• Members

Good stuff SunRa. I like the sparseness of the textures. And it sounds like a real recorded piano.
:thu:
I like the overall organic, vaguely de-tuned (not out of tune) sound - refreshing to my ear.

Yep. They're pretty dang good, ain't they? I dig all the tunes they have up.

• Members

Had a band. We were looking to go beyond the regional thing we had going, and were looking for an agent/promoter to get us there. We interviewed them like you would for a new bass player. One guy we rejected didn't get the message and kept doing business in our name. Had to take out papers on him, post public notices that he was in no way affiliated with us. Being a fair guy, I went around and bought up the promo materials he'd had made. Tour jackets, a bunch of stuff. Cost a bunch, and though I was not legally liable, My Name was on it. He could leave town anytime he wanted, but I had to live there.
Problem being, that even if people do stuff for you for free, it can cost you. If they charge you... Well, whores don't give bonuses or refunds just 'cause you have a big Johnson. But they will get the money out of those that are so desperate and naive as to deal with them. Lesson learned.
Man. I never thought it would be this hard to cop a gig mowing someone's lawn.

• Members
Good stuff SunRa. I like the sparseness of the textures. And it sounds like a real recorded piano.
:thu:
I like the overall organic, vaguely de-tuned (not out of tune) sound - refreshing to my ear.

Thanks. I'm the lead guitar player in the band, and I actually joined after those recordings were made, but those are still songs we play most shows. I think the singer in the band who does the songwriting is a very good songwriter.

Since you asked about jazz, this is me playing solo jazz stuff. It's definitely a work in progress, and certainly isn't going to garner any commercial interest.

http://www.myspace.com/andrewcuneomusic

• Members

Thanks. I'm the lead guitar player in the band, and I actually joined after those recordings were made, but those are still songs we play most shows. I think the singer in the band who does the songwriting is a very good songwriter.

Since you asked about jazz, this is me playing solo jazz stuff. It's definitely a work in progress, and certainly isn't going to garner any commercial interest.

groovy re-harms/altered chords there, man:thu: I love those jazz standards- I do alot of them on solo piano gigs along with New-Orleans piano and jazzier pop stuff. I am a Jon Medeski fan, so that makes me a Sun Ra fan once removed?

Archived