Tips for coping with a job that tears your hands up

• Members

Do whatever it takes. I once had a job cutting diamonds. The job required a chemical constantly being dumped on my hands. The chemical dried out my hands and made them bleed. Wearing gloves helped the situation. If this can't be done then Superglue all over is the next best solution.

• Members

I run a mail inserting machine and handle reams of paper all day that dry out my fingers. I also get small cracks and cuts. We just ran a huge tax job that kept me on 12+ hours shifts every day for the last couple of weeks besides having to work the week & weekend before that run and the week after - this is my first day off in nearly a month and I currently have 9 cuts/cracks healing on my fingers. I keep a bottle of unscented generic hand lotion and a tube of super glue at my utility table; they help but I've come to accept that no matter what preventive measures I take, I'm going to have small cuts/cracks to deal with almost every week.

• Members

I had to take a construction labor temp job to catch up on bills. I am glad for the work but it is tearing up my poor soft piano-playing hands (lots of cuts from metal parts). You roughnecks out there, how do you cope ? Is Super Glue pretty much what ER's use as an alternative to stitches? etc and thanks
:)

Well dude construction hands are very calloused. I know been in all my life Gloves help for handling material, but also can hinder finger movement. If you operated any kind of saws. I would highly recommend remove your gloves, One lose thread from the gloves and it catches the saw blade bye bye fingers or hand. I seen lost fingers more often then I cared for. :eek:

• Members

I had to find specific gloves for my job. The disposable gloves with cornstarch powder in them would cause my hands to swell and get sores (literally eating the skin) between my fingers. Once the company finally figured out a different kind of glove that had no powder and was latex-free, I healed up and never had a problem since.

When I primarily played keyboards in a band back in the early '90s, I did data entry, so the worst injury I would ever receive is an occasional paper cut. Other than that, it was like being paid to play scales all day, since my fingers would be fleetingly fast at practices and gigs at night.

In this bad economy, it's pretty difficult to say "Just find another job." Not so easy, so I sympathize with you.

• Members

As a full time musician, I still beat my hands up. I'm constantly loading and unloading equipment, doing repairs on equipment, maintenance on the truck and trailer, and Honey-Do's on the house when I'm home.

I also do carpentry, if I have to make a little extra money to make ends meet. I guess I fall into the category of Full time musician, and work a little on the side to make ends meet, rather than work a full time job, and play music on the side. I also race and ride BMX Bicycles, Skate Board, and White Water Kayak, and always seem to have an injury or broken bone.

All that aside, I rarely wear gloves. (except when BMXing or Skate Boarding) I don't because I try and keep my hands acclimated, and like most I keep Super-Glue handy. I have also used the stuff you put on a toothache, on a smashed finger with fair results. I try to refrain from pain killers as when I mix them with beer, I get a little trash mouthed, and on a Gig, I'll think I'm very funny, but no one else thinks so. Not good for buisness.

What kind of construction are you involved with? One trick I do when I sometimes have done masonry is, I put Elmers glue on the tips of my fingers when I get up in the morning, before I go. Lasts for about half the day, and keeps some of my skin in place.

• Members

I'm a builder/contractor and my experience is the only way to stop it is to build up those callouses. Wear gloves when you need to.It's just like the callous you build up playing an instrument, the more you do it the thicker tougher it gets.

You can use superglue and bandaids to help get to that point but in the end you gotta get those parts tough or you'll just keep having the same issues.

And wear gloves whenever possible,though as metioned above they can be a hazard too.

• Members

Find some tight fingered leather motorcycle or driving gloves. Also Makita and some other tool mfgrs make tight fitting leather/nylon gloves. I do interior wood finish work and we wear them quite often when it's cold in a house. They're tight enough that you can use a saw and a brad nailer easily.

• Members

Jeez Pat, don't you know your suppose to install trim at room temperature?
:confused:

Only thing I know Pat's is a braver man then I, wearing gloves and using a probably a 12" miter saw. :eek: Our contractor will fire your ass if he sees you wearing gloves using a miter saw because he's had to many workman's comp claims because of fellers whacking their fingers and hands off. I seen 3 guys lose their fingers and one guy saw his hand off because of gloves. Like I said one lose thread gets got in the blade and it yanks your hand right into the cutting zone. 25+ years of trim and carpentry and still have all my fingers. :thu:

Now to the OP if your man handling sheet metal buy quality leather gloves cheap clothe gloves won't last, the sheet metal will shred them to pisces usually on the first day. I knew a guy once that worked with glass poor guy hands were shredded to pieces when he first started and gloves hindered his finger movement for precised glass cuts. Finally he started taping his hands like drummers do but tape them in a manor were he had good finger movement. Which helped reduce all the tear and rips from the glass he was working with.

• Members

on the other hand, operating a saw isn't what gets you blisters, cuts and nicks (not counting actually cutting your self WITH the saw).

It's the handling of materials that does all the damage. So wear gloves when handling material, and take them off when using machinery.

• Members

Only thing I know Pat's is a braver man then I, wearing gloves and using a probably a 12" miter saw.
:eek:
Our contractor will fire your ass if he sees you wearing gloves using a miter saw because he's had to many workman's comp claims because of fellers whacking their fingers and hands off. I seen 3 guys lose their fingers and one guy saw his hand off because of gloves. Like I said one lose thread gets got in the blade and it yanks your hand right into the cutting zone. 25+ years of trim and carpentry and still have all my fingers.
:thu:

If you don't get your fingers near a moving blade you don't have that problem. I never cut pieces shorter than 6" and I never raise the saw after a cut until the blade stops.

Jeez Pat, don't you know your suppose to install trim at room temperature?
:confused:

Ideally, yeah. But we've been on apartment jobs where the exterior doors aren't even all installed yet and they want the trim in. We just put up a viscuine door and go for it. If it's below 50 degrees or so I won't put up trim that has glue joints.

• Members

Now to the OP if your man handling sheet metal buy quality leather gloves cheap clothe gloves won't last, the sheet metal will shred them to pisces usually on the first day.

The cloth gloves are much better if you're working on a brake or a shear - the oil on that sheet metal will slick up leather and make em worse than not having gloves at all.

Hell, the trick is having enough cloth in the palm - fingertips have to be exposed - that's how you get your grip on that oily steel.

All of this talk makes me glad I don't work with sheet metal any more. :thu:

• Members

I install the exterior doors usually because the framers are too stupid to do it right.
:mad:
By the time we install trim the heat is already working because the tapers and painters need it.

This is so true, and your right above me in moontaner, and isn't strat in north idontknow?

MDF cold SUCKS!

• Members

I second tight movable gloves. From my days as a wrench slinger, can vouch for Mechanix gloves or similar, they still allow enough movement to start most bolts by hand but keep the bulk of the small injuries down. Burns seemed to be my specialty and minor cuts/scratches etc. These help a lot.

• Members

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I wore gloves while cutting diamonds. Those were rubber gloves. I currently work as an electrician and often can't wear gloves of any type. I have to handle small screws, wires, and staples. For the most part I build up callouses and tough it out. I still recommend the Superglue method for any cuts that inevitably occur.

• Members

I am doing grunt work for a company that is installing metal racks and shelving in a brand new HUGE warehouse. Most of the work is done with a drill, or by hand (popping sharp-ass metal widgets in place) working from a 40-foot lift. I wacked the the {censored} out of my thumb today with a hammer but the foreman smashed one of his with a sledge a couple days ago. I am not the only one to leave my blood in that place (I realize all this is utterly fascinating :) ) BTW it is interesting how honest, strenuous manual labor is enriching my music. Thanks for the input, you rugged barrel-chested he-man mother{censored}ers!:love:

Archived