A wall of fake Marshall amps? Please...

surferbeto

• Members

Oh, I'm not laughing at the amps.

Just that he's got a fake wall of combo amps - that's freaking hilarious, and an obvious nod to the rock and roll wall of marshalls look.

I dig Paisley by the way - one of the few country artists that seems to have some integrity, and he's a smoking badass guitarist.

He also seems to have a sense of humor.
:thu:

Yeah, he's great live. His show is really good and yet he has that air of "I don't take myself all that seriously". When I saw him, he played for 90 minutes or so and made it seem like 20.

What I like most about him is his understanding of music. When I saw him he tipped his hat to Hendrix, Wes Montgomery and Albert Lee, all in different quotations in his playing, all while doing so seamlessly in transition from his own style and back again.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw a pic of a major hard metal band - it was either Megadeth or Slayer if I remember it right. You could clearly see the cones in some of the cabinets from the angle of the lighting - and clearly see that others were totally empty. Not different cones, etc - empty.

I'm positive you'd never convince most fans of that. I'm also positive that's why we have so many guitarists with full stacks in clubs.

Huh?

You think the fans give a damn whether those black box thingies are on?

They wouldn't even know what those black boxes are supposed to _do_,

and couldn't care less. They look good, that's the main thing.

GaJ

• Members

Huh?

You think the fans give a damn whether those black box thingies are on?

They wouldn't even know what those black boxes are supposed to _do_,

and couldn't care less. They look good, that's the main thing.

GaJ

You have to remember - Megadeth and Slayer are metal bands.

Their entire audience is composed of guitarists or wannabe guitarists. :lol:

• Members

...And from what I understand it was a family affair, the sat around at home making stage props, costumes flyers, with their moms...

I'd love to see an interview with Gene Simmons' mom about her son and his self-described legacy as the ugliest dude who ever f***ed the most hot women. I'm imagining some sweet little old Betty Crocker-type lady in an apron with her gray hair in a bun- who can stick her tongue out 10".

• Members

I always had Gene Simmons down as a materialistic, misogynist pig. I have to admit, though, I did warm to him a bitg when hed did that Rock School series in the UK - he was genuinely great at communicating with those kids, and he was fully up on a lot of great music, not the bag of hair metal "rawk n rawl" that I'd have thought.

That said, he's still an awful misogynist...

• Members
I always had Gene Simmons down as a materialistic, misogynist pig. I have to admit, though, I did warm to him a bitg when hed did that
Rock School
series in the UK - he was genuinely great at communicating with those kids, and he was fully up on a lot of great music, not the bag of hair metal "rawk n rawl" that I'd have thought.

That said, he's still an awful misogynist...

IIRC Gene Simmons use to be a school teacher. :eek:

• Members

Whaaaat? Kiss's cabinets weren't fake! They all worked and were how Kiss got that great live sound.

Next thing you're gonna tell me there's no Easter Bunny.

• Members

I think those amps of Paisley's are actually LCD screens.

You are correct, though I think they are LEDs. There's a picture of them lit up here and an article about it. The bassist in my band did some roadie work for a Paisley show, and he has talked about it too.

http://www.plsn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3325&Itemid=63

• Members

The biggest show I ever played (~ 8000), I used a Peavey Bandit.
:lol:

That reminds me of when I was gigging with a 5150 half stack and just got a little Peavey Bravo. I liked it so much at the time, I hid it behind the 5150 half stack on stage (but did plug it into the 4x12).

Although the show was nowhere near 8000 peeps. Probably about 200.

• Members

It goes back to guys like Hendrix Clapton Blackmore etc. They used to have 2 stacks onstage, one was being used and the other was a backup on standby in case the first one blew.

Judas Priest also did this same thing, a entire back wall of fake marshall stacks. All the big heavey rock bands did that back then and I guess they still do.

Max

But that small 'wall' of Marshalls did look cool - so naturally the theater bands like Kiss took it to extremes. From there, of course, the hair metal bands took it even further.

• Members

When I was touring full time in the 80s playing larger clubs, most of the rock bands in our agency had to carry enormous PS systems and lots of double stacks. The funny thing is that, just like today, most of the cabinets were not even plugged in and were there for show. But if they didn't have them they were told that their system wasn't big enough. Those bands all had to have huge box trucks to carry everything around in.

My own band was a Southern rock/country rock band (it was the early 80s) and while our PA was small by comparison, it was still overkill for most of the places we played. We had a large sub, two cabinets with 2/12s each and two horns, a hi/mid and a high, on each side of the stage. Each stack was about 8 feet tall. We ran a tri-amped system. We also had to have a 24 light PAR system.

Holy crap, it makes my back hurt just thinking about how much gear we had to lug around.

• Members

I remember reading something about where the "stack" came from in the first place. I think it was Jim Marshall describing that rock bands needed something to give them a backdrop on the stage. Before that, big bands (4 trumpets, 4 bones, 5 saxes, plus piano, upright bass, drums, guitar) has their own "stand fronts". You probably remember that look:

DCRBB_Amersham_Filming_Set.jpg

Or maybe it was that musicians asked Marshall for it - I think it was The Who - and he made them some 8x12 cabinets. But those were a big pain to move around, so he split them in two, and the modern stack was born. So, in essence, the stack has always been about the look. Having a bunch of fake ones and one or two live ones is just an extension of that...

Archived