only slightly OT: When's the longest you've had alcohol poisoning?

• Members

Sorry, should have been more specific: How long did it take you to stop heaving after drinking too much alcohol. But I think it's obvious you don't have much experience with drinking (for that I envy you- keep up the good work:thu:).

You'd be wrong about that. :poke:The difference being that after the first couple times I had a heave-fest, I decided to stop drinking just to drink, and drink when I felt like relaxing and having a good tasting beer or 4. Binge drinking was never really my schtick after the first few times in my teenaged years. :idk:

• Members

Only had a bad hangover once - lasted the better part of the day. But since then I found the miracle cure for if I feel like ass when I wake up..

Don't laugh....but Pedialyte! Those things are like super-shots of electrolytes and every time I feel the slight bit rough I drink one of those and like 15 minutes later I feel a thousand times better. Try it out and you'll thank me for it lol.

Dimebag Darryl was a huge proponent of Pedialyte. I've seen him talk about it a couple of times.

• Members
So I am thinking of ways to cope:

I think about this too.

My best solutions so far:

Order a cup of ice water with every beer. I drink out of thirst onstage. I can put away a bottle of beer between the chords, of almost every song we play. (cumulative spaces in the song, not between each chord change :cop: )

MGD 64. It has like .33% alc of any serious beer. Nice n watery.

I don't go in with the intentions of getting plowed. Hell, 1st set I'm a judge. But I CANNOT stand the 'walking hangover' that comes when your beers start wearing off. Imma drink till it's bed time.

^^^ reads like it should follow 'Hi, my name is squealie, and I'm an alcoholic'.... I know. Shup.

• Members

I had a pretty bad alcohol experience at age 14 that kept me with moderate behavior for years. Hungover pretty hard once at about age 20. Then in my mid to late 20s I had a girlfriend who was a bigger drinker than I was. Between her and her friends, I had more serious drunks and more hangovers in the 4 years I was with her than I'd ever had before. That was almost 20 years ago and I haven't been badly drunk or hungover since.

Alcohol almost killed my dad and messed up my family fairly thoroughly. Living around him, I've had a very good look at just how much fun alcoholism is not. He's been sober for years now, God bless him, but falling off the wagon is all too easy.

• Members
Hell, I usually don't even remember our last set each gig.

yup:).

My domesticated partner quit drinking last week and I was happy to see it- mainly for her sake but also because it's easier to lay off when there is not a big bottle of the stuff in the freezer calling out your name.

It's kind of funny how some 12-step folks make their alcoholism into such a DEEP, mystical, all-consuming subject- I used to have a roommate who was the world's worst for that. But I love the way (fiction author) James Lee Burke writes: "In a half hour I could kick open a furnace door and fling into the flames all the snakes and squeaking bats that lived inside me. Except the next morning they would writhe with new life in the ashes and come back home, stinking and hungry." (from "A Morning For Flamingos"). :eek:

It seems anyone who has gigged alot can relate to this thread. And if you have ever been on the road or tried to play music for a living it's x 10 (if I may postulate a correlation).

Archived