Classic Rock Bar Band Setlist, what do you think?

dk123123dk

• Members

Someone buy this guy a beer. . .

Your daughter is much like my wife with Mustang Sally. She loves that freakin' song. And yes, she fits into a "younger" demographic. Young or old, chicks love to sing "Ride Sally Ride" while shakin' the goods.

And you know what? I don't even mind singing it.

*oops maybe I've gone too far...* ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

there has been talk of learning sex on fire and/or use somebody... just haven't yet. are these tunes still going over well or are they not the crowd pleasers they were a few months ago?

Well my girlfriend, and all her friends love Kings of Leon. They are very simple songs for the most part too. We are going to try em out.

dk

• Members

At practice last night we discussed the possibility of adding more dance type songs. I was thrilled... in the past I'd try to suggest a song and was shot down. This time the bandleader brought it up and he has the final say so I think we'll probably add some dance type stuff.

The only issue is none of us have any idea what to add. I'm thinking of sending him a last of VH1s top 50 songs of the 80s, 90s, and 00s and maybe picking a few from each decade. Even if they aren't danceable, people will atleast recognize them. :idea:

• Members

At practice last night we discussed the possibility of adding more dance type songs. I was thrilled... in the past I'd try to suggest a song and was shot down. This time the bandleader brought it up and he has the final say so I think we'll probably add some dance type stuff.

The only issue is none of us have any idea what to add. I'm thinking of sending him a last of VH1s top 50 songs of the 80s, 90s, and 00s and maybe picking a few from each decade. Even if they aren't danceable, people will atleast recognize them.
:idea:

Are you all gigging yet?

Just asking, cuz it's easy to 2nd guess to death in the basement what "works" and what doesn't.

Watch out for rehearsal burnout: if you play a song to death in rehearsal with no gigs in sight, watch how quickly the other guys will start to suggest more and more obscure B-sides and "better" songs.

It never fails.

• Members

Are you all gigging yet?

Just asking, cuz it's easy to 2nd guess to death in the basement what "works" and what doesn't.

Watch out for rehearsal burnout: if you play a song to death in rehearsal with no gigs in sight, watch how quickly the other guys will start to suggest more and more obscure B-sides and "better" songs.

It never fails.

Yes... we have one steady monthly gig and usually only practice one time before the gig. It is pretty much the played out standards. The venue skipped us in Sept, so we were going to use this month to expend on the setlist from the same old stuff everyone else plays. However, our first practice since the last gig in mid August was last night. :facepalm:

• Members

Looking at the VH1 lists is what I did. I also got this brainchild and went with it. I went to Amazon and looked up compilation CD's of the genre I was playing (I had just seen a commercial for Monster Rock - all the 80's stuff so checked it out).

Got a TON of new ideas there becuz Amazon also lists: "People who bought Monster Rock ALSO bought this:"

And then lists like 10 other CDs....Metal Madness, 80s Dance, 80's New Wave, etc. So it just kept giving me an infinite list of CDs to look at.

• Members

Are you all gigging yet?

It never fails.

So True.

I am in this situation, just getting folks ableit very slowly, and doing rehearsals with just a couple of us. Turnover etc. has led us into trying to find "the right" person - that will stick around and have decent talent.

As such and in the meantime, we have been doing C side stuff (if that is possible..haha!) Not complaining, as sometimes it is fun...but certainly not real crowd friendly. If we ever get out - that is?

• Members

the only real way to test a song's "going over-ness" of course is test it on your crowd.

Watch closely and honestly how they respond. Don't let your personal feelings about the song interfere.

Do this for 3 shows and drop the tune if the crowd doesn't respond to it.

If another member disagrees, video tape the crowd next time to prove it!

Archived