Classic Rock Bar Band Setlist, what do you think?

dk123123dk

• Members

While I don't have the same hatred for BEG that a lot of people have, the bold statement says a lot by itself.

Personally, I'd lose red house and comfortably numb and put in something that is more likely to put people on the floor, regardless of the set. Both of them are "sit down and watch me play" type songs.

If your list is actually how you have played them, you might want to reconsider the order you're playing some of them. Having a couple CCR tunes a few slots apart isn't a great idea, especially early in the first set. Spread them out or put them one after the other, later in the list. Same thing for the Beatles/Band and some of the other tunes.

Oh and the PJ tune doesn't fit the mold. Nothing wrong with the tune, just ind of out there compared to the rest.

I tried to get rid of Numb because its a downer big time. I love Red House, but its probably a bit of a guilty pleasure. I do have a good friend that requests it every time he comes to shows though.

The order is an edited setlist, and hasn't been fine tuned yet. This is exactly what I am looking to do. I agree about the CCR, Beatles, and Band tunes. Problem is this particular band LOVES the Beatles, and we do quite a few of their songs. I am actually trying to work out a good medley for the Beatles tunes right now.

dk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love Red House, but its probably a bit of a guilty pleasure. I do have a good friend that requests it every time he comes to shows though.

dk

That's another example of what I'm talking about. I'd never play slow blues in a bar band unless I was in a blues band. There may be one or two guitar players that like it if you can really play it, but most of the people will be very happy when it's over. Regardless, there are thousands of slow blues songs out there, and that's not even one of the better ones. Why not pick something that doesn't get butchered at every blues jam in the country every night of the week? You want the reaction to be "wow, that was really good", rather than "not this crap again", IMHO of course.

• Members

Depends on what kind of demographic you're looking to reach. Most clubs around here want to see a crowd between 21 and 30 years old simply because they have more expendable income (aren't married/own a house etc....), and are apt to stay at the club longer. Your setlist is geared to a much older crowd, that will probably have to be home early to either take the babysitter home, or go to sleep since 11:00 is a "late night".

Adding some more current tunes (Nickelback, Jet, Finger Eleven, Green Day even more dance stuff like Pink or Black Eyed Peas) or even stuff from the 90's (STP, Nirvana etc....) would help. Even 80's stuff is going over well (Bon Jovi, Poison, Def Leppard) in small doses.

Again, depends on what you're looking to accomplish......

1. Green River - CCR

2. Nobody Knows You - Clapton

3. The Weight - Band

4. Bad Moon Risin' - CCR

5. Sweet Home Chicago - Blues Brothers

6. Soulshine - Allmans/Govt Mule

7. Tush - ZZ Top

8. Cripple Creek - Band

9. Red House - Hendrix

10. Moon Dance - Van Morrison

11. I'm 18 - Alice Cooper

1. Three Steps - LS

2. Fire - Hendrix

3. I Saw Her Standing There - Beatles

4. Dead Flowers - Stones

5. American Girl - Petty

6. Instant Karma/Ballad of John and Yoko - Lennon/Beatles

7. Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

8. Folsom Prison Blues - Cash

9. Sweet Home Alabama - LS

10. Soul Man - Blues Brothers

11. Roadhouse Blues - doors

12. Funk #49 - James Gang

13. Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap) - AC/DC

1. American Band - GFR

2. T.C.B. - BTO

3. Feelin' Allright - Joe Cocker

4. Whiskey Rock A Roller - LS

5. Honky Tonk Woman - Stones

6. Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam

7. Comfortably Numb - Floyd

8. Born to Be Wild - Steppenwolf

9. Backdoor Man - doors

10. Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh

11. Shanty - Johnathan Edwards

12. Turn The Page - Bob Seger

13. Handle Me With Care/End of the Line - Traveling Willbury's

14. I'm Down - Beatles

15. LA Woman - doors

I was wondering what y'all think about this setlist for Classic Rock/Blues clubs.

I was thinking slower stuff in the first set, dance tunes in the second set, and the more rockin tunes by the end of the night.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

dk

• Members

It is a typical geezer/dinosaur rock setlist. I play in the same type of band... I'm 29. :facepalm: It will go over in biker bars and family type sports bars.

EDIT: Atleast all your stuff has been played on the radio... our band insist on doing obscure Allman Brothers, Romantics, and Bob Seger. Plus, no Beatles, Skynyrd, or Stones. I guess we have no "business plan" as its obvious we're targeting a specific market, but won't give them what they want? I don't get it, but my suggestions are shot down so...

• Members

That's another example of what I'm talking about. I'd never play slow blues in a bar band unless I was in a blues band. There may be one or two guitar players that like it if you can really play it, but most of the people will be very happy when it's over. Regardless, there are thousands of slow blues songs out there, and that's not even one of the better ones. Why not pick something that doesn't get butchered at every blues jam in the country every night of the week? You want the reaction to be "wow, that was really good", rather than "not this crap again", IMHO of course.

Right on. Like I said I usually play this song as a request, and we play it with a bit more speed than the original. But I agree with this point.

dk

• Members

Depends on what kind of demographic you're looking to reach. Most clubs around here want to see a crowd between 21 and 30 years old simply because they have more expendable income (aren't married/own a house etc....), and are apt to stay at the club longer. Your setlist is geared to a much older crowd, that will probably have to be home early to either take the babysitter home, or go to sleep since 11:00 is a "late night".

Adding some more current tunes (Nickelback, Jet, Finger Eleven, Green Day even more dance stuff like Pink or Black Eyed Peas) or even stuff from the 90's (STP, Nirvana etc....) would help. Even 80's stuff is going over well (Bon Jovi, Poison, Def Leppard) in small doses.

Again, depends on what you're looking to accomplish......

I tried to add Jet, Green Day, STP, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana. The only thing that stuck was one PJ song (Yellow Ledbetter), and I think the guys actually think its Hendrix or something... Thanks for the ideas!

• Members

How about adding in some Motown or R&B stuff? In that genre we do Soul Man, Vehicle, Use Me, But It's Alright, Treat Her Like A Lady, Messin With The Kid, and maybe one or two more.

Max

The keyboardist has a {censored}ty horns patch. But I think this is the right idea for this kind of band.

• Members

It is a typical geezer/dinosaur rock setlist. I play in the same type of band... I'm 29.
:facepalm:
It will go over in biker bars and family type sports bars.

EDIT: Atleast all your stuff has been played on the radio... our band insist on doing obscure Allman Brothers, Romantics, and Bob Seger. Plus, no Beatles, Skynyrd, or Stones. I guess we have no "business plan" as its obvious we're targeting a specific market, but won't give them what they want? I don't get it, but my suggestions are shot down so...

I'm 27. I feel your pain man. I get the feeling we would be good bandmates when I read your posts. Good luck!

dk

• Members

You want the reaction to be "wow, that was really good", rather than "not this crap again", IMHO of course.

The only reason we play it ("Red House") is to showcase our guitarist.

He does the whole "play behind the head" Hendrix schtick; some people still think that's cool I guess.

• Members

Yeah... we play most of the usual crap, but people actually ASK for stuff like "Brown eyed Girl"...

Here's our set-list from last weekend:

SET 1

Come Together

Day Tripper

Drift Away

Ain't No Sunshine

Old Time Rock & Roll

Dock Of The Bay

Stand By Me

Susie Q

Crossroads

Long Cool Woman

Summer Of '69

Run (Snow Patrol)

She's Tuff

SET 2

Stuck In The Middle With You

Last Dance With Mary Jane

Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Sharp Dressed Man

Unchain My Heart

I Want You To Want Me

I Love Rock And Roll

Tush

Hootchie Kootchie Man

Black Magic Woman

Long Train Running

SET 3

Proud Mary (more like Tina than CCR)

Ring Of Fire (Social Distortion version)

Feel Like Makin Love

Friends In Low Places

Mustang Sally

Brown Eyed Girl

Hard To Handle

Johnny B Good

Wipeout

Blister In The Sun

La Grange

SET 4

Locomotive Breath

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Red House

Roadhouse Blues

Pretty Woman

La Bamba/Twist And Shout

Bad Moon Rising

Bring It On Home To Me

Squeezebox

I'm Your Man (original)

• Members

The OP's set list looks good enough for a bar band. All well-known, recognizable tunes.

To be successful as a bar band, you gotta 1) play songs people know, 2) put on a good show (play it like you mean it, have some showmanship, look like you are having fun!), and 3) though important, but sadly not always as important as the first two points, you gotta play them well.

Brown Eyed Girl and other tunes of that well-worn ilk pack the dance floor pretty reliably in the kinds of clubs around here that hire classic rock bands. It's not my favorite tune to do, but I put away my prejudices and stand up and put as much passion into it as I can muster, and make it fun. We goof around with it some, just like ol' Sally and some others, just so we don't take ourselves too seriously. People dance to it, work up a sweat, get thirsty, buy more drinks, stick around for the next set, and the band gets hired again....simple as that.

Oh yeah, I gotta agree about Red House and other slow blues - get rid of them. Great at 1:30 AM on a Wednesday night, when nobody is left but a couple of stoned rockers, or maybe at a festival or other show when people are there not to dance but to listen so you got some freedom to just lay into it and jam, but otherwise they are crowd killers.

• Members

I think there's a recent set list from my band on the myspace site linked below. We're always adding to it - set lists should not be set in stone.

FWIW, brown eyed girl is a great song... we don't play it, but it's a great song and I've seen it go over well.

AC/DC goes over GREAT, think about adding some.

"The Band" - not so much.

If your bandmates are nixing songs 'cause they don't "like them", they should probably re-examine why they're playing in a cover/bar band. Cover bands aren't making musical statements or influencing world events with their excellent renditions of timeless classics. They're playing music people in bars want to hear and hopefully having fun while doing it.

• Members

If your bandmates are nixing songs 'cause they don't "like them", they should probably re-examine why they're playing in a cover/bar band. Cover bands aren't making musical statements or influencing world events with their excellent renditions of timeless classics. They're playing music people in bars want to hear and hopefully having fun while doing it.

I agree with this although i do hope people do get some sort of happiness from playing music.

This one of many reasons why i like being in a mostly original band, when we do covers we do it cause we like the songs and that means we can dosome oddballs, like Tales of Brave Ulysses which id be suprised if any cover band did.

• Members

If you're going to play AC/DC then play the song people want to hear - You Shook Me All Night Long - hell that song goes over in country bars.

Forgot who mentioned it but I always thought Time Warp would be fun to try once. Betting it would be a hit at weddings.

• Members

If you're going to play AC/DC then play the song people want to hear - You Shook Me All Night Long - hell that song goes over in country bars.

Forgot who mentioned it but I always thought Time Warp would be fun to try once. Betting it would be a hit at weddings.

That was me. Last time we played it, there must have been 40 people dancing along that knew all the steps. I'd never heard of it before, but a lot of people remember it and like it. Something different and fun to play.

As to Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC has a lot of really good songs. I'm not sure why everybody picks that one, but people will respond to others just as well. I'm puzzled why so many cover bands are scared to deviate from the list.

• Members

We just added out first ACDC tune last weekend. Highway 2 Hell and it got a great reaction.

We do Mustang Sally and BEG almost every gig. We also play things like Bell Bottom Blues and PF's Time - not dance tunes by any means but the people seem to like hearing them.

• Members

We do Gone Shootin by AC/DC and it kills every time we play it. We really need to add another AC/DC song or two to our setlist.

We try to play a variety of stuff that will get people moving. We are currently working on Tie Your Mother Down, and China Grove. We only play two or three slow songs each night in a four hour gig.

Max

Archived