Classic Rock Bar Band Setlist, what do you think?

dk123123dk

• Members

1. Green River - CCR

2. Nobody Knows You - Clapton

3. The Weight - Band

4. Bad Moon Risin' - CCR

5. Sweet Home Chicago - Blues Brothers

6. Soulshine - Allmans/Govt Mule

7. Tush - ZZ Top

8. Cripple Creek - Band

9. Red House - Hendrix

10. Moon Dance - Van Morrison

11. I'm 18 - Alice Cooper

1. Three Steps - LS

2. Fire - Hendrix

3. I Saw Her Standing There - Beatles

4. Dead Flowers - Stones

5. American Girl - Petty

6. Instant Karma/Ballad of John and Yoko - Lennon/Beatles

7. Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

8. Folsom Prison Blues - Cash

9. Sweet Home Alabama - LS

10. Soul Man - Blues Brothers

11. Roadhouse Blues - doors

12. Funk #49 - James Gang

13. Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap) - AC/DC

1. American Band - GFR

2. T.C.B. - BTO

3. Feelin' Allright - Joe Cocker

4. Whiskey Rock A Roller - LS

5. Honky Tonk Woman - Stones

6. Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam

7. Comfortably Numb - Floyd

8. Born to Be Wild - Steppenwolf

9. Backdoor Man - doors

10. Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh

11. Shanty - Johnathan Edwards

12. Turn The Page - Bob Seger

13. Handle Me With Care/End of the Line - Traveling Willbury's

14. I'm Down - Beatles

15. LA Woman - doors

I was wondering what y'all think about this setlist for Classic Rock/Blues clubs.

I was thinking slower stuff in the first set, dance tunes in the second set, and the more rockin tunes by the end of the night.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

dk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What, no Mustang Sally? I guess if you like playing to 6 people it'll work.

:facepalm::deadhorse:

Actually we do play MS for requests. If you have any suggestions as to what will work better for Classic rock and blues venues I'm all ears.:facepalm:

The reason I posted this setlist is I am looking for better tunes.

dk

• Members

Actually we do play MS for requests. If you have any suggestions as to what will work better for Classic rock and blues venues I'm all ears.
:facepalm:

The reason I posted this setlist is I am looking for better tunes.

dk

How about giving the people something that not every other band plays? Perhaps something written this millenium. There's no reason for any band to every play Brown Eyed Girl again ever.

• Members

How about giving the people something that not every other band plays? Perhaps something written this millenium. There's no reason for any band to every play Brown Eyed Girl again ever.

Do you play in a classic rock/blues band? If not I don't know why you are replying to this thread...

We play Brown Eyed Girl because nearly everytime I play out it gets requested. And thats usually one of the best dance tunes we have. I also like that song because it give the bass player a solo for once.

And I don't understand why we would want to play songs that are new. We are a band that specializes in classic rock and blues... And there aren't a lot of newer songs in those genres. I don't see why we would want to play a newer song to an audience who expects to hear Brown Eyed Girl?

dk

• Members

Do you play in a classic rock/blues band? If not I don't know why you are replying to this thread...

We play Brown Eyed Girl because nearly everytime I play out it gets requested. And thats usually one of the best dance tunes we have. I also like that song because it give the bass player a solo for once.

And I don't understand why we would want to play songs that are new. We are a band that specializes in classic rock and blues... And there aren't a lot of newer songs in those genres. I don't see why we would want to play a newer song to an audience who expects to hear Brown Eyed Girl?

dk

I have, it's more modern rock these days, though we still do a few classics.

I'm replying to this thread because I've been playing in cover bands for a long time. I've played with people who only play the worn out classics, I've played with people who still play the classics, but are at least a little bit creative and I've played with and become somebody who would rather hack off a limb with a rusty chainsaw than play Brown Eyed Girl ever again.

I'm convinced that set lists like that are why bars are hiring fewer and fewer bands, why they're paying less and why they're moving to DJs and karaoke instead. I've talked to and heard from many, many bar patrons, and despite what some of you think, the majority of them are sick to death of those songs. I think it's just lazy that some musicians want to play the same crap they've been playing for 30 years without ever learning anything new or bringing anything new to the audience. I just don't understand why cover band musicians refuse to evolve past the 70s.

I'm sure there will be posters coming along saying people like that stuff, and I imagine a few of them do, but try bringing something newer and fresher to the table and see how they react. We do and we play to packed clubs every time we play and have to turn down gigs because we can't keep up. People are clamoring for something else, but cover bands keep dishing up the same old slop. Don't be surprised when a karaoke jock takes over your gig.

• Members

hmmm. here are some song suggestions from our early days when we did a lot more classic rock:

Sweet Emotion- aeromsith

Walk This Way- aerosmith

Locomotive Breath- jethro Tull

White Room- Cream

Forever Man- Eric Clapton

Bad Love- Eric Clapton

Rock N Roll Fantasy-Bad Company

Still Got The Blues- Gary Moore

Southern Cross- Crosby Stills & Nash

Teacher- Jethro Tull

if I can find an old set list I will list more.

• Members

I have, it's more modern rock these days, though we still do a few classics.

I'm replying to this thread because I've been playing in cover bands for a long time. I've played with people who only play the worn out classics, I've played with people who still play the classics, but are at least a little bit creative and I've played with and become somebody who would rather hack off a limb with a rusty chainsaw than play Brown Eyed Girl ever again.

I'm convinced that set lists like that are why bars are hiring fewer and fewer bands, why they're paying less and why they're moving to DJs and karaoke instead. I've talked to and heard from many, many bar patrons, and despite what some of you think, the majority of them are sick to death of those songs. I think it's just lazy that some musicians want to play the same crap they've been playing for 30 years without ever learning anything new or bringing anything new to the audience. I just don't understand why cover band musicians refuse to evolve past the 70s.

I'm sure there will be posters coming along saying people like that stuff, and I imagine a few of them do, but try bringing something newer and fresher to the table and see how they react. We do and we play to packed clubs every time we play and have to turn down gigs because we can't keep up. People are clamoring for something else, but cover bands keep dishing up the same old slop. Don't be surprised when a karaoke jock takes over your gig.

Thanks, thats much more in line with what I was looking for.

I don't see this current band evolving much into a current band, so I think I am stuck doing the classics.

For the record, do you have a copy of a recent setlist? I might be changing things up, so it would be handy to know what songs keep you guys so busy!

Thanks

dk

• Members

Thanks, thats much more in line with what I was looking for.

I don't see this current band evolving much into a current band, so I think I am stuck doing the classics.

For the record, do you have a copy of a recent setlist? I might be changing things up, so it would be handy to know what songs keep you guys so busy!

Thanks

dk

We're all over the place. We do a few Nickleback things that go over weel, some obscure stuff like Concrete Blonde, the Cranberries, Time Warp from Rocky Horror for example. We do a couple of Zeppelin, Janis Joplin and Hendrix songs for the classics, some 80s GnR, Poision, Motley Crue. Newer stuff like Bad Girlfriend and I Kissed a Girl.

Pretty much anything that's uptempo that people know or at least have probably heard, but not every other band is playing. We've got a good following and clubs are calling us now. We see the same faces at a lot of our shows, which is what the clubs like to see.

It's a huge difference from when I was playing the same songs everybody else did. I was with really talented musicians, but people weren't showing up. If you're playing the same stuff everybody else is, there's no reason for them to come and see you, or for a club to pick you over anybody else when they're hiring.

• Members

Youre covering all the usual suspects which, to me, is both good and bad..

Theres a lot of classic rock that cover bands dont cover

Bands like Styx, ELO, 60s Fleetwood Mac, Wishbone Ash, Badfinger, Sweet, Kiss, Alice Cooper, etc..........

Ive done "Do Ya" and "Ma-Ma-Ma-Belle" by ELO and they both worked great

same for "Couldnt Get It Right" by Climax Blues Band

Same for "No Matter What" and "Day Afer Day" by Badfinger

same for "Fox On The Run" by Sweet

• Members

Bands like Styx, ELO, 60s Fleetwood Mac, Wishbone Ash, Badfinger, Sweet, Kiss, Alice Cooper, etc..........

Thanks for bringing up some good songs. I plan on doing those two ELO tunes in the future. They don't 'require' the strings and keyboards quite as much as a lot of their songs do. I always wanted to do "Day After Day," that's such a great, melancholy song.

A band around here does "No Matter What" and people seem to really like it.

• Members

One thing i would suggest is to get more danceable tunes,as well as more ballads. I am assuming you will be playing a bar and the 'two fast one slow' system works well with the classic rock bars ( at least it does in my area)

Definitely! Gotta appeal to the chicks!

• Members

IMHO, you should add something by led zep, some Aerosmith and more Ac/DC. Youve got lots of Doors and Blues Brothers for some odd reason but nothing by LZ.

But to be honest ive never been in a cover band, its just my opinion as a listener.

I've tried adding Zep, but the bassist and keyboards don't really dig it for some reason...:rolleyes:

Aerosmith we have tried their version of Come Together, and it was kinda flat sounding. I was working on Sweet Emotion the other day, but its hard with a keyboard player.

AC/DC we played Big Balls randomly at a gig, and we are going to add Dirty Deeds.

I have a hard time singing any one of these bands and doing them true justice without blowing my voice for the night. I used to cover more zep in my last band though. Thanks for the suggestions.

dk

• Members

We play Brown Eyed Girl because nearly everytime I play out it gets requested.
And thats usually one of the best dance tunes we have.

While I don't have the same hatred for BEG that a lot of people have, the bold statement says a lot by itself.

Personally, I'd lose red house and comfortably numb and put in something that is more likely to put people on the floor, regardless of the set. Both of them are "sit down and watch me play" type songs.

If your list is actually how you have played them, you might want to reconsider the order you're playing some of them. Having a couple CCR tunes a few slots apart isn't a great idea, especially early in the first set. Spread them out or put them one after the other, later in the list. Same thing for the Beatles/Band and some of the other tunes.

Oh and the PJ tune doesn't fit the mold. Nothing wrong with the tune, just ind of out there compared to the rest.

• Members

FWIW this is the set list from my last gig. Also, FWIW I love playing Brown Eyed Girl. I used to hate it so I went back and learned the actual lead part from the recording, not note for note necessarily but close, and now it's one of my favorites to play.

1st SET

• Members

I was thinking about starting off the show with some good B sides, but I was worried about chasing away the dance crowd. Maybe I can just sprinkle them in the last set when everyone is good and lubed up!

I really want to do some old school Fleetwood Mac though! Every time I try to play Black Magic Woman, the band thinks I'm trying to play the Santana version!

dk

Archived