Man who sold the World chords

vanlatte

• Members

Ok this is driving me batty; working on an accustic version of this ala Nirvanas remake of the Bowie classic.

I am fairly certain the chord progression in this line:

Who knows, not me. I never lost control

Goes

G C G# C

With the G# landing on the word "never".

Why do I see so many interpretations online that have an F in the place of that G#? I could see an Fm with the G# bass, but the A in the F chord pretty much destroys the melody, doesn't it? :confused:

The reason I bring this up is the guy I am playing this with swears up and down its an F but I dont think it sounds right at all....

• Members

Ok this is driving me batty; working on an accustic version of this ala Nirvanas remake of the Bowie classic.

I am fairly certain the chord progression in this line:

Who knows, not me. I never lost control

Goes

G C G# C

With the G# landing on the word "never".

Why do I see so many interpretations online that have an F in the place of that G#? I could see an Fm with the G# bass, but the A in the F chord pretty much destroys the melody, doesn't it?
:confused:

The reason I bring this up is the guy I am playing this with swears up and down its an F but I dont think it sounds right at all....

I just pounded it out on the virtual piano: I don't have the song here to reference but your progression seems right - there may be some extensions like b7's used but your tonics seem right.

The F sounds jive and is clearly wrong, as you point out.

• Members

Not sure if it will completely help here, but one technique I like to use to solve these things is to watch a video and see what's being played. It's helped me many times

Found this one, but there may be better ones, looks like he's up around the 4th fret (G#) with a bar chord at 0:56 seconds ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=209ArurxVG4

Another video might be clearer but I didn't have time to check.

• Members

Wrong key, though right chords for that key, and way easier than you folks are making it out...

Tune the guitar down 1/2 step, and play along with the Nirvana YouTube linked earlier, and you'll see how much easier it is than you're making it:

---C

Oh no

-----F

Not me

----C#

We never

-----------F

Lost control

Though if you play in G, what you thought was right is right. Nirvana played it in C (or B, if we're talking about the actual pitches and not the chord positions).

:)

Brian V.

• Members

Wait - why do you capo? Seems kind of unnecessary, since it's a lot of open chords...

Just curious.
Brian V.

Not sure really, think it fits his singing range the best. Will have to revisit this whole thing when I get my hands on my geetar.

• Members
Tune the guitar down 1/2 step, and play along with the Nirvana YouTube linked earlier, and you'll see how much easier it is than you're making it:

---C

Oh no

-----F

Not me

----C#

We never

-----------F

Lost control

Brian V.

This is how I play it.

• Members

I thought the Nirvana version was in the same key as the original (?), here's what the sheet music (David Bowie Anthology) says (sounds right to me but who knows...)

C F Bbm F

oh no, not me, I never lost control

C F Bbm A

You're face to face with the man who sold the world

• Members

I thought the Nirvana version was in the same key as the original (?), here's what the sheet music (David Bowie Anthology) says (sounds right to me but who knows...)

C F Bbm F

oh no, not me, I never lost control

C F Bbm A

You're face to face with the man who sold the world

Nirvana does play it with the same first-position chord shapes, they just tune down a half step...but if you watch how they play the chord in question, it's clearly a C# Cobain is playing.

I don't know if the Bowie song had a C# there or not, even if just in the bass part, but Nirvana's version definitely does.

Brian V.

• Members

I don't know if the Bowie song had a C# there or not, even if just in the bass part, but Nirvana's version definitely does.

Brian V.

Yup.

You can see it clearly around 2:02 - Krist is playing the Db/C# on the 4th fret of the A string; he also bounces off the major third, which further reinforces the sound of the Db.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=209ArurxVG4

Had he played a Bb in the bass over Curt's Db chord, the result would be a Bb minor 7.

Archived