ReverbNation - do you use it...opinions?

saberry

• Members

My, almost 15 year old, daughter is becoming a pretty accomplished performer, doing live shows and is now working in the studio on a professional demo. In helping her try to get her music out there and open more doors, I've helped her create a ReverbNation page.

I'm curious how many people use ReverbNation and how good a resource do you think it is? It it the sort of thing that's mostly used by artists, but not seen by many others or is it a good tool for getting your music out there and getting gigs?

Here is her page so far: www.ReverbNation.com/SavannahBerry

• Members

My band is on their as well but we rarely if ever use it. Myspace is our main source of networking on the web. Reverb does seems pretty good, lottsa widgets and bells and whistles and so forth. The one thing they don't have that Myspace has is a whole lotta artists. The club and bar owners (although you won't be worried about that yet) all check myspace first. Have an account with both seems to be the best bet.

As you stated, these websites are just a tool in the arsenal of the musician to getting the music out there. They certainly won't do the hard work for you.

• Members

We're on it - but dont really use it. We're a cover band tho so it might be different.

The thing i DO use it for is it's widgets that you can embed on your facebook, myspace, and band websites. Things like gig lists so you only have to update ONE, maps to the venues, times/dates, facebook updates/wall posts for upcoming shows, embed demo tracks on your pages etc.

• Members

Although, I'm going to assume, since she since a presence on both sites, you know all the info I just stated.

Yah, she has MySpace as well although it's in need of a revamp. She's also been getting a lot of subscribers on her YouTube page - about 10 a day lately.

• Members

We use it...I should say I use it. I started using it as a Facebook app. I haven't really explored it all that much, mostly I use the Fan Reach tool to maintain the mailing list and put out our e-mail shouts. It puts it in a good looking template and makes it easy to put it together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

FYI

Found something useful on Reverb...an abbreviated e-book version of "The Indie Band Survival Guide." It has some great tips- course the full book version has a lot more detail...I'm reading it now - very helpful.

+1, I read it too!

We have a Reverbnation account (http://www.reverbnation.com/days ;) ), and what I can say it that it doesn't have alot of trafic like our myspace page http://www.myspace.com/daysqc). But then, I haven't started to promote the hell out of my band (we have no promo pics yet and just old demos).

BUT: there are alot of great tools with Reverbnation, and I haven't got to use a third of it yet.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think it's liky that you are going to get discovered or make a lot of new fans with Reverb at this point since the traffic is not there and it's primary an artists site BUT if you were sending out an email to promote yourself I think Reverb is probably the best site you could link back to. Their EPK (they all them RPK) service is ver professional looking.

• Members

ReverbNation is great, possibly the best I've seen, tool for collecting fans and maintaining a mailing list. Since the free service is capped at 500, I'd encourage anyone to pony up the 10 bucks per month to get access to the unlimited email/FanReach program as it is a tremendous value when you consider the contact it allows you to maintain with your fans.

When driving through Raleigh one day I dropped in on their headquarters and met a couple of the promotions and operations people and they were extremely helpful and interested in finding ways to help out me as a performer and working musician.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hi!

Thanks for letting me know not to bother with Tunenest. My time is at a premium, so every minute you save me is a real bonus. Eliminating all sites who think astroturfing is a legitimate way to boost traffic tends to be an extremely efficient way for me to filter out crap.

Wes

• Members

If you make "Featured Artist of the Month" on ReverbNation, you can bet you don't suck. I have seen some pretty good acts that way.

On the other hand, I've been #1 in an obscure genre on there....it's easy to be the big fish if you make the pond small enough.

• Members
<P>Useless idiocy. It cracks me up when people come on Facebook touting their ReverbNation chart success...LOL...Seriously?</P>

I admit to doing that. We're "#1" in our town, whatever that means. I find Reverbnation's gig scheduling and email list tools are really streamlined and useful. I like that you can coordinate different widgets (like the event schedule) with your Facebook page.

"Useless idiocy?" I don't think so. Just like any networking website, it is what you make of it.

• Members

Its a handy place to put up some music online so people can go give a listen quickly with little hassle. Handing out a CD just aint what it used to be.

Also the widgits/links to Facebook, Twitter, etc. are quite handy for posting updates, gigs, maintaining a fan databass, and things like that.

Rankings and all that is pretty useless and meaningless, just mutual like each other masterbation IMO. We're #1 in Americana in out town, but theres only 2 bands in that category:).

Archived