New original project - serendipity, baby!!!

mstreck

• Members

Yesterday, I received an email from a friend (lead guitar player in a previous band) asking if Petting Hendrix was playing the Dewey Beach Chickfest. I told him "no" because they want a cd of three original songs and we're a cover band. He said -get this - "I've got a bunch of songs you can use, no problem!" I told him about our drummer/bass problem and he said "Find a drummer and I'll play bass."

It just so happens that I knew a drummer that would be perfect for this, so now we're getting acoustic scratch tracks from my friend tonight. That will give us a couple of days to work out some additional parts and we'll record on Saturday. That gives me all day Sunday to produce a final product. The submission deadline is Monday, so we'll just make it (if everything goes smoothly).

It should be fun, if anything - even if we don't get chosen to participate.

• Members

It sounds like the fest you're talking about wants bands that play originals...if you're a cover band, why do you want to play at it?

The cover band won't be playing. Three of us (with a different drummer and bass player) will play it under a different name - and only if we're selected.

It's an opportunity to try something different - and who knows where that can lead? So why not got for it? :confused:

• Members

The cover band won't be playing. Three of us (with a different drummer and bass player) will play it under a different name - and only if we're selected.

It's an opportunity to try something different - and who knows where that can lead? So why not got for it?
:confused:

Got it: new project then?

If you can make it work, absolutely go for it. At the very least, you may have the foundation for something new moving forward even if you can't make the timing.

• Members

Since personnel issues in the biz can suck, it sure is nice when things fall into place, innit?

Good luck, mang!

Ain't that the truth! I am currently playing in a band with great chemistry and work ethic for the first time in 15 years. It was a LONG time in the woods trying to force square pegs into round holes. It's so much easier this way, thank god!

• Members

UPDATE: I recorded Rik doing his acoustic versions on Wednesday. Dave and I recorded bass and guitar over it last night and will record Marc's drums tomorrow morning and vocals tomorrow afternoon. We've kept it simple and things have fallen together pretty well.

I know, I know.... we probably should have recorded the drums first. But the schedule didn't allow it and everything is very "loose', so it all just may work out!

I like what I hear so far, but what do I know? Odds are the cd will get thrown away after the first listen, but if by some miracle we do get this gig, some of you may have to come to Dewey Beach to help us fill the rest of the time slot! :thu:

If I can get everyone's permission, I may post the songs here as an example of what NOT to do. :D

Mike

Archived