Opinions--I get subbed for at every big event

• Members

Some here have mentioned "church politics" as being just like politics in other situations, whether it be work, family, government, etc.

Well, that maybe true in some, or even most, churches. However, the new testament clearly outlines what the church and it's members are to be like. And it's not to be like "the world" outside the church. If there are "politics" within a church that violate the biblical standard of behavior, then those who are in charge ( pastors, elders, deacons, directors ) should be brought to task for allowing it. Things do happen in a church family that are "not right", and there are the proper and biblical ways of dealing with these wrongs.

I disagree with those who say, "well, it's politics and you're not going to change that, so just quit. You will not change the situation by speaking out." This would be a weak man's way. No, the courageous and proper thing to do is to speak out. The problem with some churches is that the members do not speak out against wrong doing, either from it's members or it's leadership. Even if it does not end up being able to be resolved, the OP will have done the right thing by notifying the leadership of a injustice within the church. If this particular church does not take it's responsibility and Christianity seriously, then the OP can choose to not attend this church any longer. But not saying anything and just leaving, seems a cowardly way of dealing with it.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Some here have mentioned "church politics" as being just like politics in other situations, whether it be work, family, government, etc.

Well, that maybe true in some, or even most, churches. However, the new testament clearly outlines what the church and it's members are to be like. And it's not to be like "the world" outside the church. If there are "politics" within a church that violate the biblical standard of behavior, then those who are in charge ( pastors, elders, deacons, directors ) should be brought to task for allowing it. Things do happen in a church family that are "not right", and there are the proper and biblical ways of dealing with these wrongs.

I disagree with those who say, "well, it's politics and you're not going to change that, so just quit. You will not change the situation by speaking out." This would be a weak man's way. No, the courageous and proper thing to do is to speak out. The problem with some churches is that the members do not speak out against wrong doing, either from it's members or it's leadership. Even if it does not end up being able to be resolved, the OP will have done the right thing by notifying the leadership of a injustice within the church. If this particular church does not take it's responsibility and Christianity seriously, then the OP can choose to not attend this church any longer. But not saying anything and just leaving, seems a cowardly way of dealing with it.

I agree completely, but what you're saying is step 3 of Matthew 18:15ff. As far as I can tell, the OP hasn't even done step one of it yet. Which is why I keep saying (4th time now!) he needs to talk with his worship leader first. :wave:

• Members

Whatever ,,, politics are politics and humans are humans. i watched my uncle who was a preacher in a FLA church get run out of town over a black family that started attending the church during the civll rights era . He was an up north guy... and didnt buy into the racism .. and lost his church over it.

whats in the bible really doesnt mean squat when it comes to church politics.. Seen it all , ,from a preacher bangin some guys wife to the the priests ..... I dont go to church. I see no reason to. I dont need the middle men and I dont need the social aspect of it. To say politics dont exist is just not the truth ,, and to think that going to the preacher will get you a just shake is typically wrong too. They are all humans and you cant make them do the right thing in most situations ..

• Members

Whatever ,,, politics are politics and humans are humans. i watched my uncle who was a preacher in a FLA church get run out of town over a black family that started attending the church during the civll rights era . He was an up north guy... and didnt buy into the racism .. and lost his church over it.

whats in the bible really doesnt mean squat when it comes to church politics.. Seen it all , ,from a preacher bangin some guys wife to the the priests ..... I dont go to church. I see no reason to. I dont need the middle men and I dont need the social aspect of it. To say politics dont exist is just not the truth ,, and to think that going to the preacher will get you a just shake is typically wrong too. They are all humans and you cant make them do the right thing in most situations ..

Ahhh, the old "whatever" quip. Kinda like saying " your comments aren't valid."

That has been your experience, and I'm sorry to hear that. But to say you've "seen it all" is hardly correct, as you obviously haven't seen a church behaving the way it's supposed to. Your response to church and Christianity is typical of many ( and what mine was as well, years ago ). You saw some BS and judged everyone and everything based on your limited experience. So if one or two churches, and their members, weren't acting right, well then, they all must be that way, right? Closed minded thinking, IMO. And a good excuse to stay home on Sunday. If you look to humans to model God, you will see failure. In fact, being a Christian is all about admitting failure.

BTW, no one, including me, never said politics didn't exist. But to assume every pastor and every church are just like your past experiences is, well, pretty ignorant and closed minded, don't you think?

• Members

Ahhh, the old "whatever" quip. Kinda like saying " your comments aren't valid."

That has been your experience, and I'm sorry to hear that. But to say you've "seen it all" is hardly correct, as you obviously haven't seen a church behaving the way it's supposed to. Your response to church and Christianity is typical of many ( and what mine was as well, years ago ). You saw some BS and judged everyone and everything based on your limited experience. So if one or two churches, and their members, weren't acting right, well then, they all must be that way, right? Closed minded thinking, IMO. And a good excuse to stay home on Sunday. If you look to humans to model God, you will see failure. In fact, being a Christian is all about admitting failure.

BTW, no one, including me, never said politics didn't exist. But to assume every pastor and every church are just like your past experiences is, well, pretty ignorant and closed minded, don't you think?

Whatever .... had two preachers in the family and married to a catholic girl. the catholics side does not even really think the marriage is valid since i am not of their faith. I just dont worry myself over churches..... They are I am sure wonderful for some people and thats cool Personally i just dont get involved with that kind of stuff. I view worship bands as bands.... and with bands you can have drama. If you go to church and get all involved with talking to so and so about so and so ,,, its church politics. let someone else do that if they like. Its not my style or thing.

• Members

Whatever .... had two preachers in the family and married to a catholic girl. the catholics side does not even really think the marriage is valid since i am not of their faith. I just dont worry myself over churches..... They are I am sure wonderful for some people and thats cool Personally i just dont get involved with that kind of stuff. I view worship bands as bands.... and with bands you can have drama. If you go to church and get all involved with talking to so and so about so and so ,,, its church politics. let someone else do that if they like. Its not my style or thing.

Whatever...........:poke:

I understand that it's not for you, and that is certainly fine. But here you are advising a church member on how he should act based on your prejudiced experiences. If you acknowledge your experience and attitude is about your experience, and that your experience may not be universal, how can you justify advising someone about something you really don't know anything about?

• Members

Whatever...........:poke:

I understand that it's not for you, and that is certainly fine. But here you are advising a church member on how he should act based on your prejudiced experiences. If you acknowledge your experience and attitude is about your experience, and that your experience may not be universal, how can you justify advising someone about something you really don't know anything about?

I spent a lifetime dealing with poeple.... In jobs where there were lots of politics egos and personalities. . I got pretty good at playing them. I know that it was easy to get take a short term deal and come out on top,,,, doing it long term is a ton harder. My fav deal was going in, selling the product and making the close and getting paid. Long term is like trying to get cats to walk in formation. the fact that its a church has little to do with it.

Archived