So my band is in its death throws...

Z_Zoquis

• Members

We've been at it more than a year, played a couple little gigs and now I'm pretty sure its winding down. We're not real enthused about our singer for a variety of reasons (not all of which relate to the actual singing) so we've been fishing around for a replacement but the search has prooved fruitless, and frankly its becoming apparent that the band as a whole isn't really up to the challenge of finding a new singer and now entropy has set in. Things were actually going well ftmp - there hasn't been any real "band drama", we get along great and we've had a good time till now. Its certainly been the best project I've been involved in since I actively started looking for something about 4 years ago. But one thing I've learned in that time is that these things tend to implode quickly. Its too bad becuase we've all put in a fair amount of work and I thought for a while we'd actually end up being a "real" working cover band. Oh well, que sera sera...

I'm thinking I might sell my electric rig, get a nice acoustic and try and start a duo.

• Members

Its too bad becuase we've all put in a fair amount of work and I thought for a while we'd actually end up being a "real" working cover band. Oh well, que sera sera...

I'm thinking I might sell my electric rig, get a nice acoustic and try and start a duo.

The more time I spend at this, the less time I think of as "wasted". It's up to you how you use your time, but the past few segments of my life I've spent in bands or trying to start bands, I've made a point of growing as much as possible in each situation. In cover bands, especially, so many of those songs will transfer to the next band, so the time isn't really wasted.

• Members

HEY BRO

If the passion's gone, everything else will follow suit. It's definitely new band time.

Also, not to be a dick, but it's death throes, and "ftmp" is AFTA*.

* a freakin' terrible acronym :poke:

• Members

yeah theres some chance me, the bass player and the drummer could carry on in some capacity. I just don't knwo if I have the drive anymore for the whole band thing. The idea of just showing up with an acoustic and playing along with a singer is becoming very appealing to me.

As far as the rest of us taking over the vox, its not a realistic option. None of us are lead vocal material at this point.

• Members

As far as the rest of us taking over the vox, its not a realistic option. None of us are lead vocal material at this point.

Maybe this would be a great time for you to get yourself into a college or private voice training class.

Back in the 80s, I was a singer but a pretty weak one. I was in a band with two other lead singers so it worked out okay. The only reason I started singing at all is because no one in the band could sing my original songs the way I wanted them done. Anyway, the band folded and I took singing lessons at the local college from a very good opera and show singer. I learned mechanics and vowel placement, head resonance, etc etc.

Today, I'm singing in two bands, a duo, and I do a solo, where I make most of my money ( I made 1100 dollars playing music in December last year, all but 200 of it as a solo and duo). I've won Best Male Vocalist from the regional Blues Society twice. I get booked at least 3-4 nights a month as a singer/acoustic guitar player.

I'm saying this to tell you that if I can do it, anyone can, if you can carry a tune at all. Believe me, 20 years ago, no one wanted to hear me sing. Now, it's a pretty good second income. As with most things, learning how to do it properly is a great start and then practicing it by doing it only makes you better.

Bummer about the band thing. I've been there many times. Becoming self sufficient and not having to depend on anyone else to go play has been the most freeing and positive thing i ever did as a musician. Now, I play with other people only because I want to, not because I have to.

• Members

yeah theres some chance me, the bass player and the drummer could carry on in some capacity. I just don't knwo if I have the drive anymore for the whole band thing. The idea of just showing up with an acoustic and playing along with a singer is becoming very appealing to me.

Maybe take a break from the band thing for awhile and look for a new singer to start playing as a duo - then eventually get your current bass player and drummer back on board with the new singer. :thu:

• Members

I hear where you're coming from there Bluestrat. Singing was always something I'd basically never even given much thought about. Every once in a while, I'd try and sing along while I played and I could never do it. Not only did the singing sound bad, but the playing would fall apart too. I just looked upon in as a sort of magic that I'd never be able to perfrom. But when I started trying to get into bands about 5 yrs back (I'd basically stopped playing at all for more than a decade and even then hadn't really pursued the whole band thing at all) it soon became painfully clear to me that a guitarist who couldn't contribute to the vox at all was essentially like having one square wheel on a car - and if yr at a party and there happens to be an acoustic laying about and someone says "hey Zev, play us a song" and you can't do anything but play a bunch of guitar parts you end up getting alot of this - :confused:. So I started to focus more on singing and over time I've actually improved a bit. Its something I definitely plan to work on. And the idea of being able to pick any song I wanna try and not have anyone else say "nah, I don't want to do that one" is highly appealing...

Right now, the band isn't officially dead, and I'm not the driving force behind its demise either. But to tell the truth I'm actually sorta hoping it does come to an end. I don't think its going anywhere from here on so theres no real point in it. I'm definitely considering the acoustic duo thing for a change and a bit more simplicity.

• Members

So anyways, its official now - we're done.

Its funny though...a few weeks back when I first started to sense the change of "zeitgeist" amongst a couple of the guys I was sorta upset. We'd been at it a while (too long really) and I know I'm never going to be in a better band situation in terms of how we all got along and just the whole setup of the thing so I was dissapointed by the thought of it imploding. Now that its done though all I really feel is relief. It suddenly struck me that I am totally sick of working on those 40 or so tunes.

I think if we'd been able to get a more consistent and regular practice schedule in for the first 8 months or so things might have ended up differently but as it was we really stretched that 8 months worth of rehearsal out to about a year-and-a-half and thats just too long (with several extended breaks in there of a month or more :facepalm:). We did play a couple little gigs but that was it.

So, my rig will be going up for sale this week and every dollar I can accumulate will be put towards the purchase of a real nice acoustic on which I shall spend the rest of my days strumming cowboy chords... :p

• Members

I hear your disappointment man! I spent a ton of time and money on a band project that seemed like a good idea at the time. After our first gig, four members quit ! I was for trying to keep things going but it wasn't to be. So, at first appearances, it looked like I wasted a bunch of time and money. But, in retrospect:

1) I had an enjoyable time for the most part

2) We recorded a CD

3) I met some great people

4) I learned some valuable lessons and some new music

So, all was not lost.

Archived