Anyone done any military "MWR" gigs overseas?

ckcondon

• Members

We've been contacted to play a couple of shows at a military base overseas. The MWR (Morale, Welfare & Recreation) contact at this particular base used to be here in town and hired my band a few years ago for the same type of gig.

Now they are at a new base and thought we would be a good band for their celebration. Nice! We've already agreed in principle and have the contract in hand. Just need to go over it and get it back to them.

It's a fairly remote location and the will be flying us in on military aircraft. We'll be put up and fed for a few days and will play two shows total.

All backline and PA provided. They have had lots of big acts there, so I'm sure the gear will be adequate (Full list of gear coming soon). We bring guitars, cymbals, pedals etc.

It will be a "family style" show as the base has a diverse crowd, so we know "Crazy Bitch" will be off the list! ;-)

The one issue that has come up is spouses making the trip. The client will fly the band + 1 "crew" member. The others are welcome, but have to pay airfare. Let's just say it's not real cheap.

We don't do this for a living, and while we are charging a decent fee. It would cost $$ to bring wives. It's a pretty cool place and a pretty rare opportunity that would be more fun to share with s/o. Of course, it would also be a fun "guy trip". Our band doesn't really travel, so this would be the "rockstar roadtrip".

We're definitely doing the gig. I'm curious if anyone else has done these and how you found the experience. Also interested to hear if you were married, how did the s/o take the news that you'd be doing this?

My caveat is that I travel pretty extensively for my day job, and telling my wife I'm going on this trip during a holiday is not really fair to her.

Sorry if this rambles a little. The whole thing came out of left field and I'm still figuring out how to put this all together.

Thanks,

CC

• Members

never done the gig, but have traveled quite a bit for touring.

it's a unique opportunity that could lead to more and more frequent opportunities like it. the military is sort of self-perpetuating that way. if you do well, and the soldiers like you - you'll get asked back.

i'd find it difficult to believe that the SO's could get mad about you providing a service to the men and women serving our country. or at least that's how i'd phrase it to them...:p

• Members

my band has been contracted to do this before. we were asked to play in japan for one of the military bases. it was awesome! best gig of my life! due to our location it wasn't to far and the military totally took care of us. if there is one thing the U.S. government doesn't {censored} around with its taking care of the troops. we played an arena style show with awesome gear. it was alot bigger than we were expecting because they also ended up opening the show up to civilian locals. :eek: it kicked ass! seriously have fun and take a {censored} load of pics! out of curiousity, where is the gig?

• Members

Thanks for the info.

I know this could be the trip of a lifetime and the prospect of performing for troops who have sacrificed so much for us is a huge plus.

The spouse issue is more personal since my wife has been hugely supportive over the years and holds down the fort while I'm away on business. While the band IS a business, it is also pleasure and she deserves to be part of the fun gigs since she has supported more than her share of dive bars!

I don't want to divulge to location just yet as the contracts aren't signed. It is fairly isolated and I'm sure the troops will be happy to see us!

• Members

i dont know how you are about shows, but i find that i am usually dealing with logistics, meeting people, and coordinating with my band. dont take the wife.

do make it up to her though. take her on a trip to somewhere as good or better where you can actually focus on having a good time with her.

• Members

i dont know how you are about shows, but i find that i am usually dealing with logistics, meeting people, and coordinating with my band. dont take the wife.

do make it up to her though. take her on a trip to somewhere as good or better where you can actually focus on having a good time with her.

Military is pretty good at logistics. Give them a good stage plot, they will take care of the rest.

• Members

I know I'm pretty tightly wound when it comes to shows. I'm Type-A and worry about every detail. I know I'm not always fun to be around on show days!

My wife and I do travel a good bit and we have a trip to Italy planned in May.

I think it's mainly that it's a holiday weekend (Which I was on the road for last year on a motorcycle trip with my brother), and she doesn't want to be home alone again.

It really isn't worth the $$, but can any married guy tell me the price limit of keeping peace on the home front? ;-)

• Members

Dude, this isn't ANY gig. Yah, she'll be alone, but a reasonable person wouldn't get pissy over this kind of oppurtunity for you. You NEED to do this, it'll be the gig you'll hate yourself for if you don't do it.

• Members

Done 2...don't bring the spouses. Military will treat you as honored guests. If it is the band, and you look at it as business, you'll have a blast. If you bring the wives and look at it as a trip, they'll be left wanting more, IMHO.

But then again many wifeys who 'allow' their keepers to play music, want to tag along. They envision a bunch of drunk musicians a continent away from them, and hanging with their new military buddies at some strip bar....

• Members

Thanks Ender. That is the main reason for the whole thing in the first place. Bring the troops a little slice of home and help break up the monotony of what they're doing far away from the comforts of the U.S.A. It's not about us, it's about them.

We're all very excited about the opportunity and hope it all goes well and we can do it again down the road.

• Members

I got to see some pretty good acts when I was in. There was a band that played at an NCO club in Korea frequently and we'd usually drag those guys to the bars in town after the show and buy them some beers for coming out and playing some live music for us.

If you're going to Korea it'll be fun

Archived