Choosing to session over joining a band

FitchFY

• Members

Here's the short version: I'm a competent drummer and found an add online for a younger band looking for a drummer. I was under the impression that they were a bit more established, as they said they had 19 songs in the bag. Turns out they have that many written, but the band doesn't know `em yet. They're a start-out; younger guys, all early 20s, very little stage experience. I'm 28 and have been around the block a few times.

The tunes are great and they're REALLY nice kids, but I just don't want to do another start up in a city (Boston) where I can find an existing band and keep doing my thing. I sent the below e-mail, but I can't help but feel like I'm being a d*ck. I stayed honest and open, and I mean everything in the e-mail, but do was this cool or did I jerk out?

Hey guys,

Thanks for including me on this

• Members

Now, make sure you can knock off their full time drummer after you see how many people 20 year olds can get out to shows!!!!
:lol:

Haha! It's like gambling! I mean, if they blow up and everyone goes nuts for `em, I'll have "bet on the wrong horse" syndrome in the worst way. :D

• Members

Hmm, well... I think the letter is good and it's cool of you to offer to do that. But I'm not really sure why you made the decision you did. When looking for an original band, IMO the #1 priorities should be if you like the songs and you like the guys - NOT where they are in the process. I know you've "been around the block" but every band is a startup at some point, and I don't think having "paid your dues" with other bands means you get some kind of free pass from the universe that entitles you to skip over that process.

Maybe you don't feel like going through the process again, but if you like the songs and the people better than most, IMO you're shooting yourself in the foot if you pass this band over simply because they aren't yet where you'd like them to be, only to join another "established" band which may fall apart within a short time (or at least that you might not enjoy as much) because the material isn't as good or the guys are hard to get along with. With these guys, the chances sound good that within 6 months to a year you could be where you want to be anyway, and have really enjoyed getting there.

I mean sure, you could find a band where you love the material AND the bandmates are great AND they're already gigging and you could just waltz right in and fill the spot... but this is kind of unlikely. Maybe it's easy for you, I don't know. But for most people, it's hard enough to find an original band where you really believe in the tunes and like the people. What could be more rewarding than working up arrangements on a bunch of tunes you believe in and establishing a band vibe with a bunch of guys you really like? Doesn't exactly sound like a chore to me. ;)

Just sayin'. :idk:

• Moderators

Hmm, well... I think the letter is good and it's cool of you to offer to do that. But I'm not really sure why you made the decision you did. When looking for an original band, IMO the #1 priorities should be if you like the songs and you like the guys - NOT where they are in the process.

I sort of understand where he's coming from. I've seen a lot of bands begin with some good songs but then they never really get off the ground as a solidly gigging entity. Go through that too many times and it could get kind of old, if what you're looking for is playing out a lot.

• Members

I sort of understand where he's coming from. I've seen a lot of bands begin with some good songs but then they never really get off the ground as a solidly gigging entity. Go through that too many times and it could get kind of old, if what you're looking for is playing out a lot.

I'm not saying I don't understand how that feels - I do. I'm just saying that attitude doesn't always serve a person well, and it might be better to try to get past that than give in to it.

It's a little like getting into a relationship having past baggage and bitterness over old situations - doesn't do you the least bit of good and it's not fair to the new person to expect them to bear that cross for you. THEY aren't responsible for the fact that you're "tired of startups." Either this band looks like a good bet or it doesn't, and if it does, I'd think it was worth putting some effort into getting rid of the past baggage and approaching it with fresh enthusiasm.

• Members

sounds like a reasonable offer to me. there's only one thing that's unclear: do you expect to receive compensation (e.g. $$$, writing credit) for your session work with them?

Why would he want writing credit for songs he didn't write?:confused:

Archived