Ugh - getting a bad rep!!!!

mstreck

• Members

Our bass player drama just keeps getting worse.

I was out seeing some friends play last night and found out that we're becoming known as "the band with that creepy old guy that stands in the back" - referring to our bass player. Then I find out that we're also getting a bad rep because of him and PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO COME SEE US because of him. :facepalm:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the sucky thing is I am assuming "Petting Hendrix" is being known as the band with the creepy old guy. Now you must ask yourself If/when you guys get a new bassist will PH still be the band with the creepy old guy? Will you be able to shake that stigma?

If you do get a new bassist/drummer it may be time to re-think everything, start fresh with a new name dump the songs you know don't work and really come out of the gates swinging.

just my 42 cents.

• Members

Life is too short to have to deal with people who suck - personality, musicianship, or otherwise. Find some younger guys who will commit to you and and improve your band image, even if they aren't as awesomely skilled as your current rhythm section.

• Members

Life is too short to have to deal with people who suck - personality, musicianship, or otherwise. Find some younger guys who will commit to you and and improve your band image, even if they aren't as awesomely skilled as your current rhythm section.

It seems like PH has tied up with some hired guns that are just interested in comming in ,, playing the gig and getting paid and getting gone. Now there are always two sides to that sword. Its either you or them that is making the situation not work.... It does not make any difference since it seems to be over.

Getting new blood is the solution ,,,You need people who think PH is a step up rather than just a paying gig. maybe this post is a little blunt ,, but thats kinda the way i see the mop floppin in this deal. This bass player and drummer see the band as just a meal ticket for a night, not really a band. The only reason they seem to be there is to get paid. They have no real mental investment.

Hell when I did pilot service ,, i had customers like that. Another hour in their equipment was not going to do anything for me. It was just put on the suit, fly the trip , get paid.. and keep on the hunt for somthing that burned jet fuel. That was where my next real job was. Sounds like your guys are kinda burned out hired guns... who aint gonna ever do anything other than what they are doing.....

• Members

"the band with that creepy old guy that stands in the back" - referring to our bass player.

Did your bass player used to post on BWTB? Like a couple of years ago? I'm looking at the pictures of the guy and I could swear that there was a thread from him related to a set of promo pictures for the band.

The thread was the OP asking for opinions on the best picture. The only reason it sticks out in my memory was that responders universally ripped on the look of the bass player, saying he stood out like a sore thumb and looked completely out of place against the rest of the band, only to discover that the bass player was the OP.

Or were you the poster mstreck? The name Petting Hendrix reminds me of this.

Or am I having a misrememberization? :confused:

• Members

Hmm. Image problem.

So I take it you guys have a somewhat haggard looking bass player whom also has either a bit of stage fright or just no regard for public performances.

Tough call.

Try talking too the bassist honestly about the "image" aspect. If that doesnt help you may want too consider other options.

• Members

If you do get a new bassist/drummer it may be time to re-think everything, start fresh with a new name dump the songs you know don't work and really come out of the gates swinging.

I totally agree with this. Not to be jerky, but if the creepy bass dude is the most memorable thing about your band, than IMO there are other issues that need to be dealt with.

• Members

I totally agree with this. Not to be jerky, but if the creepy bass dude is the most memorable thing about your band, than IMO there are other issues that need to be dealt with.

Yeah, sorry Mike but I agree with this. If he is standing in the back and still being noticed you have another issue. You're a party-rock cover band and the party starts with whomever is up front. Amy IS a good singer so maybe she just needs to work on being a more dynamic performer so people stop noticing the bass player.

-I saw Hole last night... I promise you 3/4 of the audience couldn't tell me what the bass player looked like because Courtney Love was owning the stage (speaking nothing of her vocal...um..skill...).

• Members

Did your bass player used to post on BWTB? Like a couple of years ago? I'm looking at the pictures of the guy and I could swear that there was a thread from him related to a set of promo pictures for the band.

The thread was the OP asking for opinions on the best picture. The only reason it sticks out in my memory was that responders universally ripped on the look of the bass player, saying he stood out like a sore thumb and looked completely out of place against the rest of the band, only to discover that the bass player was the OP.

Or were you the poster mstreck? The name Petting Hendrix reminds me of this.

Or am I having a misrememberization?
:confused:

Yep. That was us. I was the OP.

• Members

What causes the "creepy" part? If he is just old with no personality and goes about his business he should be an unnoticed issue.

Well, he's not old - he's younger than either Amy or I. But here is an example:

We were talking to people in the crowd between sets and a girl walks up to Amy and says "I think you are amazing" and before Amy can say "thank you", Tom says "Yeah, and she goes both ways, too!"

WTF? Who does that? Answer: the creepy old guy standing in the back.

(in case you're wondering, she doesn't)

• Members

Hmm. Image problem.

So I take it you guys have a somewhat haggard looking bass player whom also has either a bit of stage fright or just no regard for public performances.

Tough call.

Try talking too the bassist honestly about the "image" aspect. If that doesnt help you may want too consider other options.

The image isn't going to change - we tried before. He's too stand-offish for that.

I do think he may have some kind of stage fright problem - the rest of us are all moving around and he stands there stiff as a board - especially if someone is watching *him* play. :idk:

• Members

Get rid of him using the "girlfriend-dumps-you" method. Wait until you find a new bassist, then have a manly chat with the old guy and say "Look, it's not working out. It's not you, it's me."

Then flaunt around with the new bassist at your next gig at the weekend with a big smile on your face.

• Members

Yeah...some guys just don't know how to talk to woman. It takes an extremely charming guy to use sexual innuendo to strange woman without being creepy....especially if you are a decade or so older. I know I'm not that charming and I suspect your bassist isn't either. Sounds like the chasm between he and the band is growing and you'd be better to use fill-in's or a sequence

ecorded track if you had too. Cut your losses and move on before it gets more weird/uncomfortable...if you can do it in a way that doesn't make him an enemy, that would be best...if not...oh well.

• Members

Mike,

I imagine from the comments made it's more about his attitude and personality offstage than on? Right? Perhaps he's offending people between breaks or people that approach him on stage between sets. It sounds like he has a bit of a 'tude, and is difficult to work with. Imagine the vibe he gives off to audience members between sets.

As far as 'image' and stage presence... from the limited video I've seen of your band, I've never noticed that he stood out negatively in any significant way. Don't take this the wrong way, but from the footage I've seen it's not is if you are putting out the 'hi-energy' party vibe... four members out in front working the audience. Instead you look like a solid band with everyone on stage having a good time... which is equally positive. I never noticed anything 'old or creepy' about his performance. He's like most bass players, standing withing a 4' box and laying down the groove with the drummer.

But from all of the posts you've written about his commitment and attitude regarding gigs, you'd be best to replace him. He clearly isn't on the same page. He certainly doesn't seem warm and likeable. As far as people not coming out to see you, just because of the vibe he gives off, well, I agree with the others, you may have some larger issues at hand. Over the years we may have had some players that may not have 'glowed' as brightly as others on stage... but no one has ever not come out to see us because of one member. They identify the group onstage and not the individuals making up that group. That's why we've been able to change lineups with players, either beloved or hated and never had an impact on draw.

• Members

Well, he's not old - he's younger than either Amy or I. But here is an example:

We were talking to people in the crowd between sets and a girl walks up to Amy and says "I think you are amazing" and before Amy can say "thank you", Tom says "Yeah, and she goes both ways, too!"

WTF? Who does that? Answer: the creepy old guy standing in the back.

(in case you're wondering, she doesn't)

Ahhhh ... the HR nightmare waiting to happen. Years ago I had a band mate who was just as awkward with innuendo. The difference was he was a good looking scoundrel that bedded twice as many women he offended.

Social awkwardness... well yes that's creepy. And a liability. It sounds like he over compensates for his inability to strike up pleasant social conversations with an inflated ego regarding his playing. I'd dump him for many reasons not stated even in this thread. A guy like that will not last in a band very long... no matter how talented they are. You're just providing him a safe haven for his bad behavior.

Archived