Doing an open mic saturdaynight! Whoo hoo!

• Members
Yeah, keep it up and you'll have a shirt for every day of the week. When they asked you back, did they offer to pay you, or just let you keep providing entertainment for free?
:facepalm:

Better you than me.

Wow dude you might need to take a pill or something. Maybe get you some.
yeah i needed a new shirt. I'm going to wear it proudly today when I go to another bar and play for tips and beer. whoo hoo!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pill? I'm fine. I actually play real gigs and get paid real money. As long as I can keep dumb asses like you out of the paying gigs, it'll continue.

FWIW, even the guys hosting open mics get paid. I never did one for less than 300 bucks for playing three songs and then monitoring my gear all night to make sure it didn't get ruined. I'll never do it again. I can only take so many people coming in week after week to play the same songs over and over. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

• Members
Pill? I'm fine. I actually play real gigs and get paid real money.
As long as I can keep dumb asses like you out of the paying gigs, it'll continue.

FWIW, even the guys hosting open mics get paid. I never did one for less than 300 bucks for playing three songs and then monitoring my gear all night to make sure it didn't get ruined. I'll never do it again. I can only take so many people coming in week after week to play the same songs over and over. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

this is a real battle of the titans.

• Members

this is a real battle of the titans.

Sorry, Tim, but if someone want to whore themselves out for free, they're welcome to it. But if they're going to come into a working musicians forum and brag about it, {censored} that. I'll say what I think about it. By posting what he's posting, it's a big '{censored} you' to working guys. I won't put up with it quietly. He's a troll, and that's it.

• Members

Sorry, Tim, but if someone want to whore themselves out for free, they're welcome to it. But if they're going to come into a
working musicians forum
and brag about it, {censored} that. I'll say what I think about it. By posting what he's posting, it's a big '{censored} you' to working guys. I won't put up with it quietly. He's a troll, and that's it.

yeah it's hard out there for a pimp!

• Members

Sorry, Tim, but if someone want to whore themselves out for free, they're welcome to it. But if they're going to come into a
working musicians forum
and brag about it, {censored} that. I'll say what I think about it. By posting what he's posting, it's a big '{censored} you' to working guys. I won't put up with it quietly. He's a troll, and that's it.

So why take the bait. the guy is excited about playing. There are all kinds of musicans that play at all kinds of levels. we have music in common. Its stuff like that is why i totally refuse to get all worked up over the money. There just isnt enough of it at the local bar level to get real excited about.

I am gonna go turn the last gig with my buddies for the hell of it Its way more about my friends than it is the money. I will head north on wed ,, and start cleaning out my house and selling everything that isnt nailes down and tossing what wont sell. Even if this deal was a paying gig ,, its like me geting worried about all the half filled cans of WD 40 and carb cleaner and spay paint in my garage and how much they are worth. Thats what dumpsters are for. A guy needs to learn to just loose that baggage...

{censored} life is too damb short for that. Aint none of us gonna be rock stars.... if you want it to be about money write a song and sell it to the kid that can still get into the size 32 pants and has the youth and energy to actually go out on the bus and be sombody. we all know that its not gonna be us. Physically i would prolly kill us lol. I guess I have turned the page on a chapter i my life where I really refuse to get too worked up about anything.

Dont sweat the small stuff ,, and in reality most stuff is pretty small.

If you wanna keep fighting the fight carry one,,,, it wont do you any good though. I am sure there was some old guy thinkin you were undercutting him back when you were young ,,,, did you worry about him> na you wanted to rock.

One thing for sure ,,, ditching this place is one of the first things i am going to do when I get home ,, and focus on getting moved down to texas. HC is an energy vampire.

• Members

I am sure there was some old guy thinkin you were undercutting him back when you were young ,,,, did you worry about him> na you wanted to rock.

\He would have been wrong. I have never played for free that wan't a benefit and I have never undercut to get a gig.

• Members
Pill? I'm fine. I actually play real gigs and get paid real money. As long as I can keep dumb asses like you out of the paying gigs, it'll continue.

wow! :eek::eek: a moderator callin me a dumbass and a troll must be some sort of infraction here. Maybe I should report bluestrat to greg anderson?

bluestrat seems extremely angry at something. must have been something he ate.

I did a REAL GIG, seemed real anyway? I got remuneration and kudos. folkes clapped and cheered and I got exactly what I was looking for. plus I get to do it again as long as I wish. Seems like a triple win. Whoo hoo!
Oh yeah I walked across the street to another bar and the manager over there asked me to come in next week and do a set for his crowd.
a quadruple win? I believe so ! double whoo hoo!
I really enjoy playing out and will continue to do so where ever and when ever I can.
Got to crawl afore ye can walk I always say.
Thanks again bluestrat for an illuminating look into your real persona.

• Members

\He would have been wrong. I have never played for free that wan't a benefit and I have never undercut to get a gig.

Whatever ,,, lots of guys wont play for what you play for now ,, so its all relative. There are guy who would not let you carry their guitar case who will go sit in and play for free. everyone has their own motivaton and we cant change it. I am gonna head north and just try to turn over a new page in life..... and try to live it the best that i can for as long as it lasts. Like i said , dont sweat the small stuff. It wasnt long ago you couldnt walk because of a knee ,,,, thats the {censored} you need to worry about.... playing one more gigs isnt. I guess i am on a mission these days. Had a pretty rough winter ,,,and put things into perspective. Peace guy ,,, ride safe.

• Members

wow!
:eek:
:eek: a moderator callin me a dumbass and a troll must be some sort of infraction here. Maybe I should report bluestrat to greg anderson?

I did a REAL GIG, seemed real anyway? I got remuneration and kudos. folkes clapped and cheered and I got exactly what I was looking for. plus I get to do it again as long as I wish. Seems like a triple win. Whoo hoo!

Oh yeah I walked across the street to another bar and the manager over there asked me to come in next week and do a set for his crowd.

I really enjoy playing out and will continue to do so where ever and when ever I can.

Of course the other bar wanted to hire you! You walked into a business and told them "Hey, I'd like to come work for free. I've done the job across the street and the person who hired me loves the job I've been doing. So can I work for free for you too?". Unless you're actually doing things right at this new bar.. but I'd tend to doubt it.

Seeing as how you ignored EVERYTHING else BlueStrat posted except when he called you a troll, I'll simplify it a bit for you.

No one's mad that you're playing onstage and having fun, good on you. The issue is that you should be one of the guys signing up for open mic night and playing for free (as is standard practice), instead of hosting it and playing for a t-shirt.

I don't know what you do for a living... but imagine showing up to work to find that the company has hired someone new to do your job, and they're working for free! They aren't as good as you at your job.. but they can either fumble their way through it, or come close to making people think they can do so. Or maybe they can't, but your company is so cheap that they'll take em anyway.

Then, let's say a few weeks later, the company gets ANOTHER guy to, basically, do your job for free. No matter how good you are at your job, or how much better you are at what you do than someone else, aren't you gonna get worried that you're going to be unemployed soon? And if you bail on your company and find a comparable job elsewhere... what do you do when your NEW company starts getting people to work for free?

This is the situation folks like you are causing for those of us who are working musicians. You are the people coming in to work for free at our jobs, basically.

See, I'm 27 next week, and unlike BlueStrat, since I've been playing music, it's been a constant uphill struggle to pay the bills by performing. It's usually four nights a week in nightclubs and bars, banging it out on the acoustic two of em, and playing with the band the other two. Sometimes the crowds are awesome, sometimes they just wanna sit and drink, and you're more of a human jukebox. Oh, and don't go in there playing all your favorite songs, instead play the most requested stuff. Thankfully, I like a lot of the popular songs we do play, but still.

I do the best I can to keep the bills low... car insurance, cell phone, rent, power, cable/internet, water... then you've gotta put gas in the car and food on the table... and if you're lucky there's a little left over when it's all said and done. All of this is while hustling to get work, sometimes through agents, but mostly myself or my co-band leader, and dealing with occasional shady club owners who like to stiff bands, cancel shows at the last minute, double book bands, skim pay, or create additional problems that prevent me from doing my job effectively. On top of this.. when I negotiate pay, there have been a few times where I've had to answer the question "Why should I pay you XXX when I'm paying this other band $200 and a case of beer?".

Ordinarily... a club owner saying things like that is a good indication that he's on a downward spiral... but he got that way because some musician agreed that $200 and a case of beer is a great idea! If you've got a four piece band, that's $50.. to work for around 7 hours (counting load in), and drive to and from. If you can see how that's financially responsible, please, enlighten me. And the OP wants to work for at least 4 hours, as well as drive to and from the gig, for just a t-shirt? Yeah.. I can see how that might upset BlueStrat, and maybe even myself, just a little bit... Even though I like to hear about people having fun playing music.. there's a little pain in my soul when I think about how hard I've got to fight sometimes just to keep my bills paid.

Ultimately though.. I'm not concerned with you taking gigs from me. I know in the end, I'll be fine, and the open mic that you're playing isn't going to have helped me make rent that month anyway. The thing is.. there are more like you. And there are more and more club owners who don't realize the value of having GOOD live entertainment when you have live entertainment. You're all collectively helping them to either cut the bands or close the doors.. and sour more and more people on the nightclub and live entertainment business. And THAT, is inevitably, going to cut into someone's bottom line down the road, be it BlueStrat's in the near future, mine in ten years, or perhaps even the next generation's musicians. You're destroying a business that many of us have worked really hard to build, and it's f'n sad.

So, while I'm happy that you're getting to do something you love, I would suggest that you be sure to charge what you're worth for it, or else you're helping bring down the music business, one t-shirt at a time.

• Members
wow!
:eek: a moderator callin me a dumbass and a troll must be some sort of infraction here. Maybe I should report bluestrat to greg anderson?

Good luck with that.

First of all, BlueStrat isn't a moderator.

Second, Mr. Anderson is caught in the Matrix.

• Members
wow!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Frankly, I don't understand when people jump all over someone because they have a different opinion than they do. Especially is this so when someone enjoys something, which in this case you certainly do and did. Regards, Flip.

• Members

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Frankly, I don't understand when people jump all over someone because they have a different opinion than they do. Especially is this so when someone enjoys something, which in this case you certainly do and did. Regards, Flip.

:facepalm: :facepalm: No one "jumped on him" for his opinion. It was his actions.

I like working on guitars. I think I'll go down to the local music store, go into their shop and start tuning guitars up for free. I wonder how the other guys who work there will respond. But hey, as long as I'm having fun and enjoying myself, who cares? Maybe they'll even give me a store shirt.

:poke:

:wave:

• Members

I like working on guitars. I think I'll go down to the local music store, go into their shop and start tuning guitars up for free. I wonder how the other guys who work there will respond. But hey, as long as I'm having fun and enjoying myself, who cares? Maybe they'll even give me a store shirt.

People get what they pay for.

Some of us actually recognize the value of the service implicit in the price tag.

You're not gonna convince me that a 5, 000$ KIA has comparable performance and quality to a 60, 000$ Mercedes.

If you're giving away guitar work, it ain't worth a {censored} and I don't want any part of it.

Same goes for music.

Without slamming this guy too much - have you listened to his tracks?

They're pretty amateur - the electric guitar in particular sounds incredibly horrid.

Vocals are okay.

This music that he makes shouldn't concern you at all, because quite frankly it's amateur and not well executed.

• Members

I could give a crap about him or his music. It's the overarching principle that I despise, and the fact that he comes here and brags about being a sucker is even worse.

And I happen to be very good at being a guitar tech! (which is why wouldn't do it for free, but the point stands)

• Members

And I happen to be very good at being a guitar tech! (which is why wouldn't do it for free, but the point stands)

Right, but you're not a known qty, so undervaluing your service would be detrimental to your success in that field.

Pros NEVER give it away - it devalues what they provide.

Don't sweat the amateurs Pat - they're not in the same league as you anyway.

Instead of arguing against the principle, why not use their own actions to clearly separate yourself from those people?

This happens in business all the time.

If your only differentiating factor is price, then you will lose, every time.

Market yourself better: find your differentiating factor (read Jack Trout's "Differentiate or Die" - you will be enlightened) and you will find success.

• Members

Right, but you're not a known qty, so undervaluing your service would be detrimental to your success in that field.

Pros NEVER give it away - it devalues what they provide.

Which is the whole point I've been trying to make in this entire thread.

Don't sweat the amateurs Pat - they're not in the same league as you anyway.

Instead of arguing against the principle, why not use their own actions to clearly separate yourself from those people?

I wish what you were saying was so, but the number of venues where I live is shrinking, and many of the new ones opening up are starting to do the old "we'll have live music but you have to play for next to nothing to find out if you're any good" bit. There are no shortage of bands or even solos willing to give it away just to get a gig. Unfortunately, the venues going for it all end up the same: they get mediocre entertainment for cheap, they realize too late that it hurts their business, and they go under after a few months or a year, only to re-open with the same 'can't pay-you-anything' mentality. I wish there were different leagues to play in, but there aren't. There's only one or two places left that haven't caved into the cheap entertainment thing, and I salute them. But it's becoming the prevalent attitude that is beginning to be accepted by musician here. Even a couple guys in my own band said they'd rather go make 40 or 50 bucks and play somewhere than stay home. I told them to have fun but I wouldn't be with them.

• Members
:facepalm: No one "jumped on him" for his opinion. It was his actions.

:poke:

:wave:

Hey, there, buddy, ask them for two and I'll take one. My size is large and I would prefer just a simple one, nothing wild. Thanks, Flip.:)

• Members

Which is the whole point I've been trying to make in this entire thread.

I wish what you were saying was so, but the number of venues where I live is shrinking, and many of the new ones opening up are starting to do the old "we'll have live music but you have to play for next to nothing to find out if you're any good" bit. There are no shortage of bands or even solos willing to give it away just to get a gig. Unfortunately, the venues going for it all end up the same: they get mediocre entertainment for cheap, they realize too late that it hurts their business, and they go under after a few months or a year, only to re-open with the same 'can't pay-you-anything' mentality. I wish there were different leagues to play in, but there aren't. There's only one or two places left that haven't caved into the cheap entertainment thing, and I salute them. But it's becoming the prevalent attitude that is beginning to be accepted by musician here. Even a couple guys in my own band said they'd rather go make 40 or 50 bucks and play somewhere than stay home. I told them to have fun but I wouldn't be with them.

The next step from where your guys are ,on playing cheap,,,, are the on their own timers. They will give it away rather than be hog tied to some band where they have to play every gig. They dont want to be a hired gun sub ,, like playing with the cats they play with and the deal is flexable enough to have guys go MIA and they still have enough guys to put on a show. call them retired quality level musicans. They dont want a job, but they still like to play with good musicans.

It does take a really top level host to keep a musical circus high wire deal like this going. Typically the best solo performer in town with alot of friends who are either on their own timers or full time pros on their night off. These full timer guys have a following so getting up and sittin in ,, is good face time to pump their regular gigs, since they wont play all night . You hear people say ,, oh wow jam night was smokin last sunday ,, so and so sat in with the jam band on cross harp. Its not a big yank since every venue is like in the magic mile..... and this place is so freakin far from anywhere , there isnt much else to do. we are on the edge of the earth down here. Unique deal for sure. It makes for a pretty high level jam night with guys who can sing harmony and play more than 3 chord blues. These guys will cold cock hotel californa with the harmony. I have seen alot of guitars stay in the cases when a new guy hits this deal for the first time. Its not a closed jam , but the bar gets set pretty high. we do a short blues set with a regular front guy to give the out of towners some stuff to sit in on. The backing band can make a decent musican look pretty good.

• Members

I really enjoy playing oot and so I have come to this conclusion.

DO WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO AND THE MONEY WILL FOLLOW.

I mean I got a bit of recognition, made a few fans, a few bucks and a foot in the door for next time.

I win.
:thu:

Didn't you say you already played a full night there before, for free? So wasn't your foot already in the door? Seems to me your foot isn't very valuable. Especially since you've already demonstrated, twice, what you think you're worth. :facepalm:

• Members
Didn't you say you already played a full night there before, for free? So wasn't your foot already in the door? Seems to me your foot isn't very valuable. Especially since you've already demonstrated, twice, what you think you're worth.

And at the end of the day it really doesnt mean a whole lot. This has to be the deadest horse kind of thread on here. No doubt that pat can smoke this original poster when it comes to music. But then we have pat saying his band is getting to the point where they are willing to go turn one for 50 bucks so they dont have to sit home and watch the wife watch the home and garden channel.

Hell I have been playing for fun,, and the wife has been home watching the home and garden channel and its prolly going to cost me a kitchen remodel job, letting her get two cats and two of those little robots that sweep up the tile on their own after I come home from a free gig and attack a box of crackers and the robot can clean up the crumbs from the puter room. Why because I like to play. If you want you can come down and bid the trim job ,, but then there will prolly be some mexican that will do it cheaper.

Its like the guy that empties the crappers on the airline and plays with the blue water ,,,,, a guy says why do you do this. He say ,, you mean and get out of aviation.?

Archived