Doing an open mic saturdaynight! Whoo hoo!

• Members

Hi folkes!

I'm doing an open mic this saturday-night at a local irish bar. The Flying Shamrock in Goldsboro NC which is an upscale bar with an irish flavor. mmm, mmm, good!.

The cool thing is last time I played there no one else showed up to play, so I got to do my entire set list.

IT went over well and the manager was impressed with the quality of the performance.

I always get two free shirts. (one for me and me better half)

the folkes and bartenders were jammin along and I was offered several beers from the patrons after particular tunes.

I'm hoping that this will help me to eventually get a paying gig. I'm also going to brang several ceedees to sell as well.

Wish me luck and come on out and show your support for a struggling musician. thanks for lettin me share! TD

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The cool thing is
last time I played there
no one else showed up to play, so
I got to do my entire set list

I always get
two free shirts
. (one for me and me better half)

the folkes and bartenders were jammin along and I was offered several beers from the patrons after particular tunes.

I'm hoping that this will help me to eventually get a paying gig. I'm also going to brang several ceedees to sell as well.

Wait...you played there before, did the whole night, and now you're doing it again in hopes of getting a paid gig out of it? And if all they're giving you for playing is shirts, that doesn't make them free, does it?

You didn't major in business, did you?

• Members

:poke:

Wait...you played there before, did the whole night, and now you're doing it
again
in hopes of getting a paid gig out of it? And if all they're giving you for playing is shirts, that doesn't make them free, does it?

Maybe he did and can afford to go play for t shirts lol....

:poke:

• Members

Wait...you played there before, did the whole night, and now you're doing it
again
in hopes of getting a paid gig out of it? And if all they're giving you for playing is shirts, that doesn't make them free, does it?

Nobody else was showed up to play because they arn't that stupid.

• Members

Hey, I'm all for doing an open mic to practice, or ready yourself for a real gig, but that usually means 4 or 5 songs on an off night, particularly if you're really not ready or prepared. You get something and the host gets something. Legit.

Not a whole night of free entertainment. Sounds like a fools rip off to me.

• Members

Hey, I could afford to. I'm just not that desperate to play.

:wave:

Thats cool... its obvious that this guy is willing to do it. Maybe he just needs the experience and figures It will up his game. Hell I did my own trim in my bathroom.. I knew it was going to take me way longer than a pro,, and i would end up screwing up some product ,, but It was kinda fun, and it turned out better than any trim in my house. Would not call it desprate though. I sure as hell would never want to do it for a living. guys all have their reasons for why they do what they do.

• Members

I didn't pick up a guitar until I was in college. There was a local coffehouse that had an open mic/acoustic jam session every Thursday night. My friends would hang out, and I really digged the vibe. There were some horrible acts, and there was some real talent. It was at that open mic that I decided to learn to play. I told myself that if I could get up on that stage, I would be happy. Of course, after I achieved that, I wanted and aspired for more.

I don't know if the host was paid, but without that open mic, my life would have been quite different. The point is, it takes all types. While I wish I could be the professional musician like some of you on here, I can't. Without someone running that open mic for peanuts, many musicians may not have had a chance.

Good Luck, have fun, and who knows, maybe your playing will inspire someone.

• Members

Of course the problem is now that you have established that you are willing to play for t-shirts it's going to be a difficult argument to say you should now be paid cash money.

You told them what you thought your time and talent was already worth.

The way this old dog looks at it is:

I have done this venue a few time, goode response ever time.

gave em a great show and rocked the hoose!

the manager cannot deny my drawing swerve.

so if I have a good show this open mic, that just shows i'm a steady freddie that can deliver, time after time and worth the two big bills an hour i hope to get for my services.

if he don't want to pay, and i get to play my fifteen tunes; maybe sell a ceedee or two, then I still get to work my craft, feed my soul and revel in the certain knowledge, that i have accomplished my major short term goal of playing out somewhere.

I only need continue and refine my focus to reap the full benefits of my efforts.

keep on keepin' on.

• Members

The way this old dog looks at it is:

I have done this venue a few time, goode response ever time.

gave em a great show and rocked the hoose!

the manager cannot deny my drawing swerve.

so if I have a good show this open mic, that just shows i'm a steady freddie that can deliver, time after time and worth the two big bills an hour i hope to get for my services.

if he don't want to pay, and i get to play my fifteen tunes; maybe sell a ceedee or two, then I still get to work my craft, feed my soul and revel in the certain knowledge, that i have accomplished my major short term goal of playing out somewhere.

I only need continue and refine my focus to reap the full benefits of my efforts.

keep on keepin' on.

not a bad way to look at it. If this guy wont pay up .. you now know you can do a solo show and you just take it down the road to another place and sell it. We have alot of guys on here that are at alot of different levels. Some are just starting, some are getting back in,, some are long time working pros,, and some are long time weekend warriors. What you do has alot with where you are on the ladder. Everyone looks at the guys on the other rungs and never really takes into account that we are just not all the same,, and dont have the same ability , goals or expectations. You play the hand and the cards you are holding.....is basically what it comes down to. As a re entry guy ,, I am more interested in who I am playing with a, rather than what i am making at if for the time being.

• Members

Yeah and before you know it you and your wife will have a different T-shirt for every day of the week.
:lol:

As a hobbyist, I don't see that as a bad thing. If I were trying to make a living, I could see how this would be frustrating.

• Members

As a hobbyist, I don't see that as a bad thing. If I were trying to make a living, I could see how this would be frustrating.

It's only a bad thing when you go into the marketplace to ply your hobby for free. Wanna play for free, ply your craft and get your ya yas out at a private party? No prob. But going to a club that pays for entertainment and playing for free is a bit like a hobby mechanic going to a car dealer repair shop and turning wrenches for free because he likes it, is getting better at it, and hopes to get a paying gig out of it, but if not, at least they'll give him a shirt with his name on it. :wave:

• Members

It's only a bad thing when you go into the marketplace to ply your hobby for free. Wanna play for free, ply your craft and get your ya yas out at a private party? No prob. But going to a club that pays for entertainment and playing for free is a bit like a hobby mechanic going to a car dealer repair shop and turning wrenches for free because he likes it, is getting better at it, and hopes to get a paying gig out of it, but if not, at least they'll give him a shirt with his name on it.

:thu: With his You tube link I am guessing the OP is a raging Rupublican. Unfortunately he has the business sense of a Democrat.:lol: must be a tea partier.

• Members
It's only a bad thing when you go into the marketplace to ply your hobby for free. Wanna play for free, ply your craft and get your ya yas out at a private party? No prob. But going to a club that pays for entertainment and playing for free is a bit like a hobby mechanic going to a car dealer repair shop and turning wrenches for free because he likes it, is getting better at it, and hopes to get a paying gig out of it, but if not, at least they'll give him a shirt with his name on it.

Well, if everyone wanted to be a mechanic, and the market was saturated with them, this would probably happen there too.

You seem pissed that people go to paying establishments and offer to play for less or for free. That anger is wasted energy in my opinion.

I disagree with your opinoin. If a club that usually pays for entertainment lets you play, then the owness is on them. Because they will find that it works for their business or it doesn't. But it sure doens't mean we can't go out and try. It might piss off the guys who are doing it for a living, but man up, that's just part of being in a competative environment.

• Members

I played an open mic once where I was the only one that showed up. It was my second ever open mic, so I played for about 30 minutes because the host wanted to just hang out.

The manager of the restaruant said he thought I was great and wanted me to come back again.

A few weeks later I went with my brother and our families (about 20 people total) and the open mic host didn't show up. We got out the PA stuff and set up and performed as a duo for about an hour. We got free dessert for our table. It was a fun way to work on our chops and get used to playing for a crowd.

That being said, I wouldn't go there and play every week for free, but I would fill in as open-mic host if they need me (and they pay me in cash instead of cookies).

• Members

Sheesh, it's a tough forum.

Taylor, just have fun, don't worry about all these grouchy guys who had a bad gig weekend or something. If a career musician's success is so unstable and tenuous that it can be toppled because of some amateur banging on a guitar in a coffee house, then failure is probably inevitable anyway. The craft of Music doesn't belong to anybody, any more than dancing or talking.

Playing for free and for fun isn't the same as stealing from guys who seem to think they deserve more. Go out have have a blast, make the most of it, enjoy yourself. I wish you the best, even if you are a "raging Rupublican" tea partier.:lol:

• Members
You seem pissed that people go to paying establishments and offer to play for less or for free.

You're damned right.

I disagree with your opinoin.

That's what makes the world go round.:wave:

It might piss off the guys who are doing it for a living, but man up, that's just part of being in a competative environment.

True enough. But that doesn't mean I can't think of guys who do that as unthinking egotistical self defeating bottom feeding scabs who are a blight on the music biz. :wave:

I hope someone comes in and takes your job away from you someday by undercutting your ass. Then you might get a clue as to what if it feels like.

• Members

The craft of Music doesn't belong to anybody, any more than dancing or talking.

No one is stopping anybody from the craft of music. Just stay the {censored} out of the marketplace and bringing the pay down for everyone. Practice your craft in your basement like guys who build birdhouses or make scrapbooks.

• Members

Someone's on fire today! :mad::mad::mad:

My only response is that you have to deal with people who whore out their products and services in every industry. Luckily, generally these people don't last too long. As we've discussed ad nauseum, everything is regional, but I'm not currently seeing this type of thing effect my pay. Then again, I usually turn down the acoustic gigs. Unlike some people, I rather enjoy playing to loud, obnoxious drunks. :thu:

• Members

I can certainly see the frustration. If you are being undercut in your line of work and your quality of life suffers for it, that sucks, and I'm sorry, but that's the American way, man.

But my quality of life would suffer if I didn't go out and play music as often as I do. It brings me joy, happiness, inner peace. And money, too, just not very much. I have a day job for that.

So, is the band that's getting only $500 a night is pretty much stealing from the band that has negotiated $900 at the same venue? And the $900 band is ripping off the $1500 band? So I guess the The $500 Rockers and The $900 Rocker-ers have an ethical duty, really, to stay home and musically masturbate so that the $1500 Rocker-er-ers can play more often and buy more guitar stuff?

• Members

Well, let me apologize for being a dick. It's just that I'm a bit passionate about this topic.

I totally get the desire to go out and play just for the fun of it. And jams and open mics are for that.

The thing is, though, is that music is about the only hobby I can think of that is inextricably intertwined with commerce. That is, you're being hired to provide a service that someone else may benefit from financially.

I like to fish. But no on'e going to pay me to fish. No one is going to pay me to golf, or ride my motorcycle, or any of the other things I do for fun. But music is different. Since the days of the old west, people have played in bars for money-using one's talents and abilities to get paid. My own grandfather did it back in the twenties and thirties.

In the 20s there arose a pro musician class, guys who played 6 nights a week and often toured around doing it. It was their job. This lasted until the late 80s. It used to be my job. But the 6 night gigs died out for lots of reasons. And it opened the clubs to part timers who before that played little taverns and private parties on weekends. And now, it's hard for some of us to get used to not only competing with hobbyists, but having to become hobbyists ourselves and to get into a bidding war of lowering the bar adds insult to injury.

To me, going out to play for free just to get a gig shows a disrespect for the business-not for the craft of playing, but for the music business itself. I know most of the former full timers I know all feel the same way. We used to gage where you were in the heirarchy of quality bands and what you were worth by how much you could get paid. So forgive me if I get a little hot with guys giving it away. I know times are different, and I have to deal with it, etc etc but it isn't a change that is going down easy for me. I should probably just retire and go do something else, like a lot of my old friends have done, since the business I once knew, loved and devoted most of my life to is unrecognizable now. I don't know if I have it in me to adjust as much as it will take.

C'est la vie!

Archived