This can go wrong in so many ways....

Scafeets

• Members

I just got a long, rambling email from a frat dude. Here are the highlights...

"We're looking for a band for our Redneck party....

.....we're having a big pool and a ton of booze and it should be a really good time.

...there will be a ton of people at our party so it would be great publicity for anyone interested. "

Yeah... pool, ton of booze, "great publicity"....

What could possibly go wrong?

• Members

Write him a nice, friendly email back, being sure to quote the price your band is charging for a private party. If he emails you back that it's good exposure and he wants you to play for free, email him back that you aren't able to do so, as it wouldn't be fair to any of your other clients, and you hope that when they do need a professional band, they will keep you in mind as their first choice!

• Members

Write him a nice, friendly email back, being sure to quote the price your band is charging for a private party. If he emails you back that it's good exposure and he wants you to play for free, email him back that you aren't able to do so, as it wouldn't be fair to any of your other clients, and you hope that when they do need a professional band, they will keep you in mind as their first choice!

THIS!

• Members

I'm obviously in the minority, but my first response is: Frat Party! SWEET!

Yeah, it's all good until your gear ends up at the bottom of the pool.

"Dude, let's see how your amp sounds under water!" (Splash.)

:facepalm:

If you take the gig, charge at least triple your normal fee, and expect at least something (well, many things) to end up broken. Hopefully, you'll have made enough to cover the damage.

• Members

I've played for Rednecks too. Not bad. Lotsa fun after the gunfire dies down. However, this ain't Rednecks. This is Frat boys pretending to be Rednecks. While it would be interesting to witness from a sociological perspective, I wouldn't bring anything that I wasn't able to pick up and run with.

As the exposure will probably be like the kind Ted Kennedy got after Chappaquidick, I'd do like Blackbird says.

• Members

"

I can't see any reason why someone would type those exact words aside from setting the stage to tell you they want entertainment for free/REAL cheap.

I'd be willing to bet 100x their 'offer' on it, in fact.

No harm in responding exactly as Blackbird 13 suggests, though, but I'd be real surprised if there's any money in it at all. I'm sure they'll offer all the booze you can drink.

Man...

When I was in college, playing a frat meant a great payday FOR SURE. Doesn't sound like that's what awaits you on this one, though.

• Members

half of you get an F on reading comprehension.

THE PARTY IS BEING HELD BY FRAT GUYS. The THEME of the party is "redneck". The people won't actually BE rednecks.

I stopped at Frat Party. Frat Party = Sorority Girls. I'm a dirty old man. I love Sorority girls. So I'd be in. :D

• Members

I knew I could count on you guys for some amusing replies. Thanks for the LOL moments....

So, I quoted double our regular bar rate, half on deposit and the other half before we start. We need an indoor place to play in case of bad weather, or we get paid anyway. We need a dry, level spot at least 150 feet from the pool. I gave them the set lists in advance and said we'll take requests two weeks in advance -- if we can't play 'em, we'll DJ 'em on the breaks. Then I gave him a contract and said it had to be signed by one of the frat's officers.

He didn't gulp hard at the price, and he's taking the contract back to "the brothers." We'll see.....

• Members

I knew I could count on you guys for some amusing replies. Thanks for the LOL moments....

So, I quoted double our regular bar rate, half on deposit and the other half before we start. We need an indoor place to play in case of bad weather, or we get paid anyway. We need a dry, level spot at least 150 feet from the pool. I gave them the set lists in advance and said we'll take requests two weeks in advance -- if we can't play 'em, we'll DJ 'em on the breaks. Then I gave him a contract and said it had to be signed by one of the frat's officers.

He didn't gulp hard at the price, and he's taking the contract back to "the brothers." We'll see.....

You are a brave soul. God speed. :wave:

• Members

Some of you made the "frat --> sorority girl" connection, but nobody has made the "sorority girl --> pool party" connection yet?

I'm surprised they haven't sold it that way and found some local band to pay THEM to let them come watch, I mean play.

• Members

Some of you made the "frat --> sorority girl" connection, but nobody has made the "sorority girl --> pool party" connection yet?

I'm surprised they haven't sold it that way and found some local band to pay THEM to let them come watch, I mean play.

Hmm... Not sure where you are in NC, but Chapel Hill's only like a 15 hour drive for me.

Archived