Do your band members like "toys"?

• Members

I recently joined a blues/rock cover band in my area... the other guitar player has a big collection of music gear... tons of guitars... but the issue is he has so many amps.

Because he's constantly bringing a new amp to rehearsal, he's having a lot of trouble dialing in a consistant sound and volume.

I've discussed this with the other band members, and we're going to try to persuade him to just stick with one amp... his recent TwoRock aquisition... and stick with that.

Let's hope it works, cause he's driving everyone else crazy.

How about you... do you have a band mate who keeps showing up with new toys... but they're causing a problem?

M

• Members

Most guitar players have this problem. I would just sit him down, and say its becoming distracting. Pick a sound that works and stick with it. Next he will be using a new overdrive on his pedal board at every practice, then by the time the gig comes he will have a different pedal.

Talk to him about it. If its a problem there are a TON of guitarists who can play the blues, so you won't have much of a problem replacing him.

Good luck.

dk

• Members

my guitarist has two rigs and he has both dialed in for our show. Everyone else uses the same {censored} all the time. If I break a string at a show and switch to whatever backup I brought I just wing it and hope people are smart enough to figure out that it's the same song regardless of whatever tiny nuance has changed due to the new guitar.

• Members

I recently joined a blues/rock cover band in my area... the other guitar player has a big collection of music gear... tons of guitars... but the issue is he has so many amps.

Because he's constantly bringing a new amp to rehearsal, he's having a lot of trouble dialing in a consistant sound and volume.

I've discussed this with the other band members, and we're going to try to persuade him to just stick with one amp... his recent TwoRock aquisition... and stick with that.

How about you... do you have a band mate who keeps showing up with new toys... but they're causing a problem?

M

How does he play? I was in a start up project blues deal with a guy like that. He was the reason why I loaded out. too loud , always screwing with his gear ,,, He was unworkable.... and it was his band. He has lost everyone that was with him then ,, and is still in the basment trying to keep forming and remforming a band. dont know what to tell you... gear freaks are strange cats.

• Members

I'm an anomaly. I have quite a few guitars, but my tele plus has been my #1 since 1990 and is what I use almost of the time. I've played through the same Blues Deluxe since '95. I have 3 pedals (I'm going to add a wah to make 4, though I'll use the wah and my whammy pedal for a total of about 5 songs a night)

I heard somewhere, that the quest for "the perfect tone" begins when someone realizes its a lot easier to buy gear than it is to practice. Though a generalization, I tend to believe it.

• Members

Part of the fun of having a bunch of stuff is using a bunch of stuff. Different stuff can inspire you to play differently. But if he can't dial it in, meh....

And I would NEVER take a rig to a paying gig that I didn't have gig-appropriate control over. Is he doing this at gigs or just rehearsals?

But "settling" on a Two Rock is NEVER a bad idea.....

• Members

Thanks for all the replies...

He's a decent player, but seems to have historical problems with "too loud syndrome"... at least according to the other members.

I've only gigged with him one time so far, and I'm the new guy in the band. He was a bit loud at that show, but he was on the far other side from me, so it was harder for me to tell. My friends in the audience did suggest I turn up a bit after the first set.

I think we can reason with him, if he's willing to settle on a single amp and learn to dial it in. Apparently in the past, he would actually stop in the middle of a song to futz with a pedal or amp... he didn't do this at the gig I was at.

Strangely, if he DOESN'T change his ways, he could be asked to leave... the other guys feel so strongly about it.

And I thought I had found a band with "no drama"... that probably doesn't really exist. :D

M

• Members

Part of the fun of having a bunch of stuff is using a bunch of stuff. Different stuff can inspire you to play differently. But if he can't dial it in, meh....

And I would NEVER take a rig to a paying gig that I didn't have gig-appropriate control over. Is he doing this at gigs or just rehearsals?

But "settling" on a Two Rock is NEVER a bad idea.....

Yeah, at least we're going to pitch him on the idea that he now HAS a great basic tone.

The previous practice, he brought a new to him Marshall 1/2 stack that was too loud even on 1... there's no way we're going to let him make that one his main amp.

M

• Members

M

This is a common affliction for guitarists with too much money in their pocket.

It's known as GAS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_Acquisition_Syndrome

• Members

Yeah, at least we're going to pitch him on the idea that he now HAS a great basic tone.

M

Just a thought....

Showing you his gear bag is his attempt to show his "music weiner". So work his ego and tell him the 2 or 3 amps you guys like. Maybe he's looking for your encouragement. Like "Yes Mr. Guitar Player, you DO have a big gear weiner!"

Try this:

"Dude, ya know, we really like the XXX and the Two Rock. The other ones just don't seem to work FOR YOUR STYLE. Dude, your playing just SHINES with the XXX and the Two Rock. Like it was made for your playing. The YYY rig comes in a distant 3rd. And leave the Marshall at home. Not you bro."

And if he starts tossing his ZZZ rig into the mix, just go on about how GOOD he sounds on XXX and the Two Rock. That way if he brings in another amp, he'll likely ask for your input.

Dunno, just a thought. Guys with gear weiners suck....

• Members

I have a bud Jeff that is like that.

He has around $25000 in Marshalls,Germino's,Soldano.Mesa and Bogners for a total of 6 amp heads and 4 combos's and 4 cabs not too mention another $25000 plus in Gibsons,Custom shop Jacksons,Suhr and Ibanez's.

He will bring a different amp and guitar too every place he plays.

He likes the revolving door of sounds that he has(me too btw).

I asked him what gives and he said he brings different combonations because he cant get a true test of them at home. But in a jam or band setting he can really run the stuff through their paces.

I can see where this would be waring on other band members though.

I just wish I had the terrible affliction of deciding which stellar guitar and amp in my vast collection I will play through next.

• Members

Just a thought....

Showing you his gear bag is his attempt to show his "music weiner". So work his ego and tell him the 2 or 3 amps you guys like. Maybe he's looking for your encouragement. Like "Yes Mr. Guitar Player, you DO have a big gear weiner!"

Try this:

"Dude, ya know, we really like the XXX and the Two Rock. The other ones just don't seem to work FOR YOUR STYLE. Dude, your playing just SHINES with the XXX and the Two Rock. Like it was made for your playing. The YYY rig comes in a distant 3rd. And leave the Marshall at home. Not you bro."

And if he starts tossing his ZZZ rig into the mix, just go on about how GOOD he sounds on XXX and the Two Rock. That way if he brings in another amp, he'll likely ask for your input.

Dunno, just a thought. Guys with gear weiners suck....

Yeah, this is our opinion too... and our planned response to the problem.

In fact, I don't want him to have even two choices, I want him to settle on just ONE. You see, he's a bit of a "tweeker", (no, not meth, thank God), I mean he will try to adjust his gear in the middle of a song. I don't mind this if there's a glaring issue... or maybe just once or twice at the beginning of rehearsal, but doing it song after song, all night isn't cool.

Then he started having trouble with the foot switch. He probably was doing something wrong, because the switch did not always do the same thing each time he stomped on it. But he had not tried it out at home, and he was wasting everyone else's time trying to figure it out at rehearsal.

Anyway, if we can get him to stick to a single amp... then he should be able to dial it in the way he wants, and we can count on this tone / sound from him all the time. If not... well we will have to cross that bridge when we get there.

M

• Members

M

Give him a video of any one of the Kings plugging a guitar straight into an amp and tell him to STFU, quit dragging gear around looking for the 'holy grail of tone' because no one but him cares, and just play.

• Members

No. I am probably the one with the most toys, but I have been playing the same guitar/amp combo since I was 17-18 years old. I'm just a guitar player, so I don't bring my toys (PA, recording stuff) to practice or gigs. I mention what I have, but no one ask me to bring it to check it out so I don't.

• Members

I've got plenty of gear/toys myself, but I stick to the 'best' of it primarily. Sure, I might swap snares once every couple months, or try a different set of hihats, but the stuff that's in primary usage is there not only because it sounds GREAT, but because it sounds RIGHT and I'm ok with using it regularly. My really collectible stuff stays at home for the most part.

Was in a band in my mid-twenties with a guy who at the time seriously collected and at any given time owned approximately 30 guitars and 30 rigs (cabs w/heads and combos): so much GREAT gear that one of HIS old guitars eventually made its way into the hands of a well-known uber-collector. If you want to see it...pick up the Rick Nielsen Guitar Collection book...

;)

Anyway, every couple weeks, I'd show up to rehearsal and the Dual Rectifier had been swapped for a JCM, then a few weeks later swapped for a HiWatt, then later a Bogner, then later a Matchless and on and on. Cabs would go from Marshalls to HiWatts to Mesas, etc. 4x12s, 8x10s, 4x12s w/folded horns,...you name it, he had it. Then he started running a dual rig: halfstack for dirty, combo for cleans, and through the whole mix & match process with that. And he'd do the SAME for our other guitarist, who would swap axes between an SG, then a V, then an Explorer, then a Tele, etc.

Thing is, ALL the gear was top end, they knew how to dial in great tone quick enough that it never impeded rehearsal (they'd come in early to spend time setting up), and it never bothered me because they weren't changing their sound drastically; just nuances that even I could appreciate. They NEVER brought in something new for a gig, though. And for gigs...well, all our peers/fans, etc. always knew we'd show up with the sickest gear, and back it up with great playing, so it added to our appeal.

It doesn't have to be a problem unless the player makes it one.

• Members

Yea, this. I'm an avid Les Paul guy. The other night I pulled out a tele at practice and half the band was like, oh cool I didn't know you had a tele. I told them, thats odd, I played it for the gigs we had back at the end of the year for like 3 or 4 straight dates, the reply was "oh, you sounded like you always do, guess I didn't notice."

My sound is similar wether I play through any of my amps or guitars, or at least not drastically different enough to be a problem.

• Members

Yep. Our prob is gear that is inappropriate to our stage set up. Newer/bigger amp shows up, everybody else has to tweak to get balanced. Bad to change the dynamics at every show. Sees the louder things get, the harder it is to hear what's going on. If you can convince him to use something consistantly, you're better off.

• Members

you tweak the endless amp models (two possible at a time on the X3) and effects on the X3.
:lol:

Ha! No.... I have three tones that I use live - clean, blues (think Fender blackface), and hard rock (think Marshall stack). I haven't found a need for anything else in a generic cover band.

• Members

I tend to bring some different gear around from time to time. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a different amp's sound, or a different guitar's feel. I always spend at least an hour in my practice space re-adjusting everything before I bring it to the gig. I don't like surprises onstage, and we pretty much go song-to-song, so there's no time to adjust sounds. The only thing I play with is the gain knob on channel 1B on the Triamp. I use it at 10 o'clock for some songs, and 2 o'clock for others. That takes no time to do though.:thu:

• Members

This can be done ina right way and wrong way.

I use three different amps depending on my mood for gigs. Fender SuperSonic Combo, Seymour Duncan Convertible combo, Traynor YBA-1 Head and 2X12 speaker cab. I don't use a lot of effects, but I do have a Line6 M13 stomp box modeler. I just set up a preset for each amp (really just need to tweak the overdrive pedal settings for each amp). I also often rotate guitar in and out. However after the first couple of sings in the night I don't have to touch the settings.

Our other guitarist brings two pedal boards full of pedals and seems to have little knowledge of how to use them consistantly. He doesn't seem to know which pedal to use so he sort of auditions them in between songs hunting for the right tone for the song. He also can't seem to leave his amp knobs alone. We have recently stopped giving him time between songs to twist knobs, we just start the song and often leave him in the middle of reaching for his amp or pedal board when the song starts. I am hoping that soon he will learn to use just a couple of pedals and stop tweaking and start playing.

Max

Archived