Songs for rock singer with Limited range

rotoitiman

• Members

I'm not trying to be an asshole but imagine:

we just got a new drummer. He is from a death metal background so he can play double-bass and beat the {censored} out of his entire kit great but can't play in four... or three.... or 8... or 2.... What are some songs that we could play that would work around his deficiencies?

If your singer's range is basically death metal and monotone your singer isn't a singer.

I see what you're getting at here, but I have to point out that example is terrible (no offense). Death metal drummers in my experience know more time signatures not less.

• Members

hell, it works for Shinedown when they try to pull their tunes off live.

Recently... yeah and it sounds weak like Axl Rose with dreads. Back about three or four years ago Brent would peel the paint off the walls and nail it. But similar to what he's saying and IMO... if the music sounds just like the record and the vocal melody is different it's going to stick out and sometimes that works and sometimes it'll flop and you'll come off looking like a poor singer. I'd use this to your advantage and take the songs you want to do and rework them and fit them to your style if you are set on keeping your singer. Vocals are the center of most songs and I'd much rather hear the music worked around a nice vocal line than the vocals altered to fit the music, though sometimes there are exceptions when that sounds great too.

• Members

I see what you're getting at here, but I have to point out that example is terrible (no offense). Death metal drummers in my experience know more time signatures not less.

I was thinking the same thing.

They also tend to know every Mike Portnoy and Neil Peart lick ever created.

But then again, he did say 8, 4, 3 or 2.

Give em a 9/8 and they're good, but try to get a Portnoy clone to swing over a 12/8 shuffle and he'll sound retarded (unless of course he happens to be a well rounded drummer that just so happens to be into death metal.)

FYI: the drummer in my band is a former death metal drummer. (Not just goofing around - he was in a signed death metal band and played a lot of gigs with those guys, including a European tour)

Now he plays blues and classic rock. Does it pretty well too - certainly doesn't have the hangups we're goofing on here.

• Members

I'm not trying to be an asshole but imagine:

we just got a new drummer. He is from a death metal background so he can play double-bass and beat the {censored} out of his entire kit great but can't play in four... or three.... or 8... or 2.... What are some songs that we could play that would work around his deficiencies?

If your singer's range is basically death metal and monotone your singer isn't a singer.

Ain't you that young feller that does all those weird mashups songs. Hell I betting he's confused, I know I would doing mash ups, it's not a easy task playing mash ups. :eek:

Hell I can barely remember one song much less 3 different songs into one song.:confused:

• Members

This is what I feel is wrong with most cover bands and why I'm just not the guy for one. They should pick material based on the singer and how he/she sounds. I tried singing for a cover band and they wanted me to sing Nirvana then Aerosmith then U2 then Billy Idol... I was thinking- who has the tone quality or timbre...not to mention vocal range to do all of those singers? Nobody, its super human to fit all those singers.

Any guitar player can change their tone with a click of an effect. But for a singer, a voice has to match the music to sound good. Even if you have a great singer with range doesnt mean he'll sound good singing Knockin on Heavens Door. Cover bands lose me alot of time because they'll have a guy sound good or decent at one thing, but then have him sing something that doesnt suit his voice.

• Members

This is what I feel is wrong with most cover bands and why I'm just not the guy for one. They should pick material based on the singer and how he/she sounds. I tried singing for a cover band and they wanted me to sing Nirvana then Aerosmith then U2 then Billy Idol... I was thinking- who has the tone quality or timbre...not to mention vocal range to do all of those singers? Nobody, its super human to fit all those singers.

Any guitar player can change their tone with a click of an effect. But for a singer, a voice has to match the music to sound good. Even if you have a great singer with range doesnt mean he'll sound good singing Knockin on Heavens Door. Cover bands lose me alot of time because they'll have a guy sound good or decent at one thing, but then have him sing something that doesnt suit his voice.

that's why it's best if more than one person can sing in a cover band. In ours all of us can sing... me being the worst at it but I can do AC/DC while our lead vocalist can not.

• Members

Time for a new singer...just kidding, look what Paul Rodgers was able to do with a limited range.

There you go, try some Bad Co.

I think he's a tough one to copy.....he had some serious soul and range.

• Members

Cover bands lose me alot of time because they'll have a guy sound good or decent at one thing, but then have him sing something that doesnt suit his voice.

Stop giving away all the secrets: I want the other bands to pick tunes that everyone else does even if their singer can't do em right :mad:

;)

Archived