Songs for rock singer with Limited range

rotoitiman

• Members

Hey Guys

Been involved with a band for about 3 months now. Problem is singer has a limited sort of range. He came from a death metal background but wanted to move into more mainstream stuff. He can screech like Pantera and stuff, but struggles hitting anything like Kings of Leon or stuff like that tone. (actually, I think he sounds fine reaching for those notes, but he lacks confidence)

So we do songs like Sublime, 3 doors down, RATM, Pearl Jam, Killers, Ben Harper etc sort of easier singing stuff.

Can anyone recommend songs that work for them that aint to hard to sing?

• Members

this stuff is beat to death but:

sublime: what I got, wrong way

bush: machinehead

jimmy eat world: the middle

3 doors down: kryptonite, not my time, loser

blur: song 2

pear jam: courdory, jeremy, evenflow

if he can do Pantera type stuff he should have no problem with Godsmack or Korn

• Members

Time for a new singer...just kidding, look what Paul Rodgers was able to do with a limited range.

There you go, try some Bad Co.

What?

Try singing any of that stuff and you'll realize the guy was one of the best rock singers ever with a huge range.

He's doing Otis Redding as a rocker basically.

Someone with a limited range is Bruce Springsteen--now he has done a lot with a little.

Rodgers is prodigiously gifted and can STILL bring it at like, 80 or whatever he is now.

• Members

Here's the deal with the majority of singers they have no formal training at all.

For example I learned to play bass from a studio musician out in California.

Our lead guitarist took lesson from our local guitar wizard and since his son is now is in the band he teaches him.

Our drummer was a drummer in High School marching band.

Every singer I ever had in my band's line up. Never took a lesson in their life, and they all learned from trial and error. Now some singers that use the trial and error method of singing pick up pretty quick while others don't.

Another problem is, even with video or audio singing lesson. They can't talk back to the singer and critique their progress. Sure it can help with streching and scales, but there's nothing like having a one on one classical vocal coach that will monitor your progress and critique on your progress. :cool:

I could make a fortune here in my town if I knew how to sing and teach, because there's not a single freaking soul that teaches about singing here. :cry: Now if you wanted to learn how to play a instrument the phone book is loaded with instructors.

• Members

+1000! Look at Motley Crue...they were tuning down a whole step way before it was cool to do so, because Vince Neil had (has) a {censored}ty ass voice.

I played for a while in a band back in the day in which my sister was the lead singer / front person. She sang NOTHING in the same key as the recording. We changed the keys on just about every song. Is transposing a lost art? :confused: Just sayin' :wave:

• Members

+1000! Look at Motley Crue...they were tuning down a whole step way before it was cool to do so, because Vince Neil had (has) a {censored}ty ass voice.

Which they learned from Jimmy Page of Zeppelin that used all kinds of {censored}ed tunings on his Celtic rock tunes.

• Members

I'm not trying to be an asshole but imagine:

we just got a new drummer. He is from a death metal background so he can play double-bass and beat the {censored} out of his entire kit great but can't play in four... or three.... or 8... or 2.... What are some songs that we could play that would work around his deficiencies?

If your singer's range is basically death metal and monotone your singer isn't a singer.

• Members

Hey Guys

Been involved with a band for about 3 months now. Problem is singer has a limited sort of range. He came from a death metal background but wanted to move into more mainstream stuff. He can screech like Pantera and stuff, but struggles hitting anything like Kings of Leon or stuff like that tone. (actually, I think he sounds fine reaching for those notes, but he lacks confidence)

So we do songs like Sublime, 3 doors down, RATM, Pearl Jam, Killers, Ben Harper etc sort of easier singing stuff.

Can anyone recommend songs that work for them that aint to hard to sing?

I'd say just pick whatever you want from the worst decade of music ever AKA the 90's (just here to start a flame war:poke::thu::cop:)

• Members

here are a few particular songs that might work

landing in london - 3 doors down

round here - counting crows

tennessee line - daughtry

black balloon, iris, slide - goo goo dolls

most matchbox 20 stuff

some shinedown stuff if you sing the few high parts down a bit

everything changes & right here - staind

Archived