OT: Going to see Mark Knopfler!!!

ChordGirl

• Members

I'm excited!! I'm going to see him play tomorrow night! I saw him once before. Incredible show! He gave us 2 encores and as we were begging for the third, he came back out onstage and told us essentially, "Thank you, but we're old, we're tired, we want to go home now!"

Seriously, if you get a chance, go see him. He's definitely one of my favorite guitarists. The first time he had surrounded himself with virtuoso musicians. He did quite a bit of Dire Straits material, and his solo stuff was awesome, too. There was no autotune, or other musical 'trickery,' just flawless music played the good old fashioned way. :thu: Definitely one of the top 5 concerts I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of powerhouses over the years. :)

Can't wait!!!! :cool:

• Members

So.....where's
our
tickets?
:mad:

Color me chartreuse with envy. Knopfler puts on a killer show and his quiet playing is, to me, better than his power stuff.

Have a large time!

$60.00, please. ;) I would've paid more, too. (Don't tell him that. :o) I love his quiet stuff, too. Talk about smooth.... :love:

Thanks, it's going to be an absolute blast! :D

• Members

I just typed a huge detailed report of the awesomeness that was last night, and my session timed out, and I lost it all. :mad:

It was great, as expected. :thu: Here's the setlist from last night: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mark-knopfler/2010/the-fabulous-fox-theatre-st-louis-mo-53d4f791.html

I'm going to have to do this later, because literally, I just spent an hour and a half listening to the stuff at that link and commenting about the incredible use of instruments, and that all but 3 of them were multi-instrumentalists, and etc. etc. etc. :mad: Now my brain is teh fried. :(

• Members

Mark played about 10 guitars, including his 58LP, 54 Strat, 61Strat, a Tele, a Danelectro played with a slide, a couple of different acoustics, a pensa (which I had to look up), and a resonator.

There were 3 types of flute-like instruments(celtic sounding), a fiddle, mando, banjo, different-sized ukeleles, a couple of what looked like lutes, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. All of these instruments were split between 2 different guys--both of which also played guitar.

There were two keys players. The one on the left was split between the smallest baby grand I've ever seen, and some kind of old organ, I think. I couldn't see the face of it, and it's dimensions were odd. He also played the accordian on one song.

The second keys player had two boards also ran the synthesizer. He occasionally played guitar, also. He also had what looked to me like a 16 or so channel mixer he was messing with--I'm guessing it was something other than that. I did notice on speedway at Nazareth they definitely used a drum track, which I think he implemented. It was almost had a marching cadence feel to it, imo. It turned out really cool with what they did, which was to use the drummer about 1/3 of the way through to intensify the drums exponentially.

Bass player used 2 electrics and a standup. Very cool. The drummer just played the same drums all night. :lol:

When they played the Dire Straights songs, they dropped from 7 down to 4 or 5 players, of course.

The coolest thing about all the instrument changes was that they did it so smoothly you barely knew it was happening. I really enjoyed the different sounds they layered along with some etherial sounding synths, then they'd cut all that out and go back to drums, guitars, and bass. And, used very very sparingly, they had up to 4 part harmonies. Literally, though, I think I heard harmonies for about a measure or two at a time during maybe 3 songs.

Anyway... Once again, I loved it. He is definitely a musician's musician.

He also takes a significant chunk of time out to intro all his players. Very cool, as they're all amazing.

• Members

I really don't know jack about amps, but MK had a couple behind him, and he was mixed on top with the vocals. I really think half his sound was coming from the back line. The way the theatre is really steep and it was coming almost straight at us.

Archived