What's your opening set 1st song?

• Members

we open with a mashup of "Roxanne" by the police and "lose yourself" by eminem. It's essentially "Roxanne" over the guitar riff of Lose Yourself with an added bassline and more prominent drums.

Funny, we've been opening with a medley of "I Gotta Feeling" and "Roxanne" Basically the first verse of I Gotta Feeling, into Roxanne, back into the end of I Gotta Feeling.

• Members
Funny, we've been opening with a medley of "I Gotta Feeling" and "Roxanne" Basically the first verse of I Gotta Feeling, into Roxanne, back into the end of I Gotta Feeling.

We do I've got a feeling into "Love Story" by Taylor Swift and back into "I've got a feeling"... we do that because its REALLY funny when I'm singing Taylor swift and the band is trying to to crack up as the chicks in the front row are singing along with me.

• Members

We do I've got a feeling into "Love Story" by Taylor Swift and back into "I've got a feeling"... we do that because its REALLY funny when I'm singing Taylor swift and the band is trying to to crack up as the chicks in the front row are singing along with me.

I love goofy {censored} like that. We play Love Story as well, though we do it stand alone (then again, we have a 21 year old chick singer). We played for like 300 college kids about a month ago and I couldn't stop laughing at all the dudes that sing along to that song. Alcohol is a wonderful thing!

• Members

We start off with a simple blues shuffle so I can dial in the PA and monitors, the lead singer does a quick intro of the band members, maybe 2 minutes tops. Brown-eyed girl next to get it out of the way and set the vocal levels. Then we do into "Pump It Up" (Elvis Costello) to really kick it off.

I've heard from several sources that the third song is when you really get the audience's attention, so we plan for that. First song is mostly visual, they are checking out the band, second song they listen to see if you are any good, third song is when the crowd decides if they are into it or not.

If we can get 'em on the third song, we usually have them all night.

• Members

My classic rock band generally does Jackson Browne's "Somebody's Baby". Not a huge rocker or dance tune, but it gets everyone's attention, everyone sings along and most importantly we can check the sound. We will also use "Southbound" by the Allman (sp?) Bros.

• Members

Usually either Still of the Night - Whitesnake, or Don't Wanna Stop - Ozzy.

We prefer the bitchslap approach rather than the ease into it method.

I know another local cover band that said about the same thing... but then couldn't understand why they were losing the 35-60 year old dinner crowd. I've never understood the mentality of heavy stuff first..

• Members

Depends on the gig.

If it's a gig where we don't need to pack the dance floor right off, and one where we're not using a sound man (meaning I'm mixing from on-stage), we open with a jam-version of "When The World Is Runnin' Down" that starts off like the Police version and ends up like the live Sting jazzier version. Gives me a good chance to jump on and off stage and get all of our instruments and voices going at some point during the song so I can get a decent mix happening.

• Members

Last night, it was "Memphis, Tennessee" as done by Johnny Rivers. I like Chuck Berry's original version too, but I learned it the Rivers way first. I usually try to find an opening song that will not only get people's attention, but works as a nice vocal warmup for me. "Bad Moon Rising" is definitely not that kind of song (too high out of my comfort zone), so when I opened with that one a few months ago, that was a real mistake.

Not sure what we'll do for tonight.

• Members

Most of the places we play seem to always be in transition from an eating crowd to a dancing / drinking crowd when we're starting. We tend to open with something that starts a little mellow and then builds. Seems like we've been starting with Barenaked Ladies tunes alot lately ... "Blame It On Me", "Brian Wilson" and once in awhile "Alcohol". From the opener it's straight in the danceable stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I like Chuck Berry's original version too, but I learned it the Rivers way first. I usually try to find an opening song that will not only get people's attention, but works as a nice vocal warmup for me. "Bad Moon Rising" is definitely not that kind of song (too high out of my comfort zone), so when I opened with that one a few months ago, that was a real mistake.

Not sure what we'll do for tonight.

Love his version! It varies a lot for us depending on the crowd. We start with ALLISON ROAD quite often. PRECIOUS DECLARATION or RADAR GUN(Bottle Rockets) too if the crowd is already fairly lively.

Archived