Is this the first post today?

• Members

The free {censored} thing has been tossed around here forever. This is what happens when your free thing you enjoy gets taken away by the folks who were giving it to you.

You are going to have to play by their game. YOU are not their concern, as they don't make much money off of as a result of this place....They were doing this as a courtesey for you. Seriously, how much ad revenue was generated by this place? Not much.:rolleyes:

This place is like a lounge outside a music store....if they change the furniture, and you get all pissed about it, do you think they really care how much it means to you? They have to do it in the manner that they see fit...YOU ARE NOT A CUSTOMER WHEN YOU ARE IN THE FORUM....just a potential one.

And I bet that there isn't ANYONE that posts here that is loyal to HC's parent retailer BECAUSE of this place.

I swing by occasionally cuz it will soldier on, but honestly don't expect it to be anything close to what it was. And I have learned another anti-"freemium" lesson.

• Members

The free {censored} thing has been tossed around here forever. This is what happens when your free thing you enjoy gets taken away by the folks who were giving it to you.

You are going to have to play by their game. YOU are not their concern, as they don't make much money off of as a result of this place....They were doing this as a courtesey for you. Seriously, how much ad revenue was generated by this place? Not much.
:rolleyes:

This place is like a lounge outside a music store....if they change the furniture, and you get all pissed about it, do you think they really care how much it means to you? They have to do it in the manner that they see fit...YOU ARE NOT A CUSTOMER WHEN YOU ARE IN THE FORUM....just a potential one.

And I bet that there isn't ANYONE that posts here that is loyal to HC's parent retailer BECAUSE of this place.

I swing by occasionally cuz it will soldier on, but honestly don't expect it to be anything close to what it was. And I have learned another anti-"freemium" lesson.

Here's the truth of the matter, for me, anyway. I never bought anything from musician's friend (or guitar center for that matter) until after I started hanging out on this site. It is where I learned about MF. All but 1 large purchase of mine has come from MF in the last 4 years, plus half of my small purchases (

So, you can call it a freebie, or, you can call it part of their advertising campaign, IMO. This site promotes music and bands, which drives their particular business. It was never set up out of the kindness of anyone's heart. Businesses don't have hearts, they have marketing strategies and business plans.

• Members

Here's the truth of the matter, for me, anyway. I never bought anything from musician's friend (or guitar center for that matter) until after I started hanging out on this site. It is where I learned about MF. All but 1 large purchase of mine has come from MF in the last 4 years, plus half of my small purchases (

So, you can call it a freebie, or, you can call it part of their advertising campaign, IMO. This site promotes music and bands, which drives their particular business. It was never set up out of the kindness of anyone's heart. Businesses don't have hearts, they have marketing strategies and business plans.

What she said - almost to the letter.

• Members

Plus one, except I have been buying at MF for a while and have bought a bit more than 2k. Cannot say that I buy from them because of this site, but I do buy from them. I can say for sure that this forum has answered a hell of a lot more questions for me than any of their clerks will ever, which has facilitated my decisions to buy - from them.

I do agree that if they own it, they have a right to {censored} it up, which is exactly what they did. Ebay did it, many others have done it. Does it make business sense? of course not.

What she said - almost to the letter.

• Members

I never bought anything from musician's friend (or guitar center for that matter) until after I started hanging out on this site. It is where I learned about MF.

You, ma'am are in a very small minority. There are very, very few folks that buy BECAUSE of this place. In fact there have been MANY threads slamming MF and GC in my short time here. If there were several thousand folks in this community, I wonder how many wandered in here, and said "Wow...I'm a loyal and trusting person...I'm going to buy from the store that provided this forum." Not many.

So, you can call it a freebie, or, you can call it part of their advertising campaign, IMO.

In marketing, it is called "community development". It is an ancillary part of any company's marketing plan not part of a store's advertising campaign. It exists to develop a group of potential customers. Not just for a specific store like a campaign would, but for a specific niche, which is in this case, musical instrument retailing.

It was never set up out of the kindness of anyone's heart.

"Community Development" happens when you offer a service that creates a group of potential customers. Once the community has been developed and awareness has been created, the task of that service is complete. Time to start another one. And that is what they are doing here. They don't care that this community is gone. They want to start a new one.

This place is the same as the after hours jams music stores used to have. Or community drum circles sponsored by a music store. Or bike shops bringing a BMX show to a school and "teaching" the kids safe riding.

But my point is that this place is different: folks EXPECT this place to be the way THEY want it. They feel like it is THEIRS. That is what happens when you use a free service alot and then get it taken away. You get PISSED!!:mad: Because you think it is YOURS!:mad: You feel ownership.

You are right Chord Girl, this place is all about marketing, and never has been anything else but that. So why were folks so pissed at first? Are you and I the only ones here that know that this place is about marketing? The vitriol spewed at the site was stunning!

So what would happen if we stopped giving away our music? Would folks get pissed that they can't download anything they want to for free? What would the back lash be?

Freemium sucks: it distorts the truth and the HC forums are proof.

Archived