New Gear!

• Members

I just received a 1990 ADA MP-1 guitar preamp from an eBay auction.

These things were used on lots of records and tours in the 80s and early 90s. It is highest gain thing I own.

I am in the process of setting up a rack guitar rig, even though I already have three great tube amps that I use. I can't seem to stop buying gear.

Anyone else playing through a rack rig?

Max

• Members

I just received a 1990 ADA MP-1 guitar preamp from an eBay auction.

These things were used on lots of records and tours in the 80s and early 90s. It is highest gain thing I own.

I am in the process of setting up a rack guitar rig, even though I already have three great tube amps that I use. I can't seem to stop buying gear.

Anyone else playing through a rack rig?

Max

I have one of those preamps too. It's the one with umpteen little mini switches that change things around with the gain staging, right?

I messed around with mine a bit but couldn't really get a sound that I liked. It's either really sterile clean or really over the top distorted - not much in between. I'm gonna hang onto it in case I ever want a really heavy sound, but I don't use it much. I wonder if some lower gain tubes (like 12AT7's) would help.

EDIT - actually, upon some googling, I must be thinking of a different unit. Nevermind.

• Members

It looks like this:

15315-1-big.jpg

It can be really over the top as far as gain, but I was able to get some real nice crunch tones, and I think if I play with the clean tube voicing I can come up with a pretty good clean tone. The Solid State clean voicing is a kinda sterile sounding though.

I guess I am just a gear junky at heart.

Max

• Members

I used to run a rack with an Alesis Quadarverb GT. The quadraverb was replaced with a POD.

When I started playing covers of 60s and 70s I got a couple of decent low gain tube amps. This new piece will let me play some heavier stuff when I am in the mood.

Max

• Members

Yep, I had an MP-1 back in the day. I also had the MC-1 foot controller and later when I got into home studio, and ADA MicroCab miked cabinet simulator. All good stuff. Wish I had it back. I sold it all as a package on ebay to raise funds for another purchase. Set the Buy-It-Now way too low and cheated myself out of a few hundred bucks.

Whenever someone mentions ADA gear, I always kick myself in the ass for letting those pieces get away.

• Members

Still have an MP-1 and a Rocktron Voodu Valve and a Digitech 2112.

I'm using a Digitech GSP1101 straight to the board now.

Out of all of them the MP-1 is the best most organic sounding.Paired with a G-Major and a good controller it's a great combonation.

I like the Behringer FCB1010 controller upgraded with the uno chip.

I used the FCB1010 with every preamp combo I've owned with great success.

I know someone will flame me for the Behringer reference but its one of their products that has worked well for me.

I would suggest a couple of Mods to the MP-1,the noise mod and the stock gain mod do wonders for it.

Go to the AdaDepot for lots of great info and good forum help if you need it.

http://www.adadepot.com/forum/index.php?board=21.0

• Members

rack gear...rack gear...hang on, it's been a few years...

Furman Power Conditioner

G Major

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Roland VG Synth

all into a Crate Excalibur head. there's probably more, but i just plain don't remember.

• Members

Still have an MP-1 and a Rocktron Voodu Valve and a Digitech 2112.

I'm using a Digitech GSP1101 straight to the board now.

Out of all of them the MP-1 is the best most organic sounding.Paired with a G-Major and a good controller it's a great combonation.

I like the Behringer FCB1010 controller upgraded with the uno chip.

I used the FCB1010 with every preamp combo I've owned with great success.

I know someone will flame me for the Behringer reference but its one of their products that has worked well for me.

I would suggest a couple of Mods to the MP-1,the noise mod and the stock gain mod do wonders for it.

Go to the AdaDepot for lots of great info and good forum help if you need it.

The FCB1010 is most likely the best thing Behringer has ever made (I dont think they even copied anyone elses design). I have had one for many years, I am using mine to control our lighting. I also have an old ART X-11 that I will probably try to use for this system since the FCB is tied up with lighting.

So far the unit is not too noisy (I don't play with huge amounts of gain) but I really might consider the noise mod. What does the stock gain mod do? This thing already has way more gain than I will ever need. I was setting up some sounds and found that I could probably just use the clean tube voicing for most everything, it gets pretty crunchy at higher gain settings.

Max

• Members

Hey Max theres a way to use your X-11 for your lighting so you can benefit from the EXP pedals on the FCB. PM me and I can give you the details ,its free.

Really if you use the G-Major with the MP-1 you don't need the noise Mod.

I did the Gain mod just to check it out. It gave me a more useable overdrive2,as far as being able to dial in more distinct voices for overdriven stuff.

Your right it's got enough gain on hand,the tricks are in the EQ settings.

• Members

Great preamp! :thu:

I still have mine from 1989 along with my Quadraverb.

ADA Depot has a lot of great info and a loyal community.

Whatever you do, don't use the effects loop on the MP-1...it sucks tone big time.

Take the regular outs from the MP-1 into your effects unit and then into your power amp.

Use the volume knob on the effects unit to control your overall volume.

AFAIK, the SS channel ALWAYS has compression on and there is no way to turn it off.

As a result, I never use the SS channel....only the clean and dirty tube channel.

• Members

So far I have been able to get the tones I need for my current band using just the clean tube voicing. The Clean Tube setting goes from clean to enough gain for 70s stuff.

I have a Peavey classic 60/60 tube power amp on the way to finish up this rig. It should be fun to play with.

Max

• Members

I just figured out that the Peavey Classic 60/60 is a three space unit. I guess I am going to need a larger rack case because 4 spaces is not going to cut it.

Time to start looking for a good deal on a 6 space rack case.

Max

• Members

Great preamp!
:thu:

I still have mine from 1989 along with my Quadraverb.

ADA Depot has a lot of great info and a loyal community.

Whatever you do, don't use the effects loop on the MP-1...it sucks tone big time.

Take the regular outs from the MP-1 into your effects unit and then into your power amp.

Use the volume knob on the effects unit to control your overall volume.

AFAIK, the SS channel ALWAYS has compression on and there is no way to turn it off.

As a result, I never use the SS channel....only the clean and dirty tube channel.

Except for the 1989 part, I could have written this myself. :thu:

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p146/one4rich/Gear%20Pics/?action=view&current=1-6-10086.jpg

Archived