its opinion time: new music

• Members

I posted the REALLY rough mixes some time ago but this is essentially the finished product minus mastering, backing vox and some touches. So... if you are putting 4 songs on the EP which 4? Thanks in advance for anyone who listens and gives me helpful feedback.

**IMPORTANT - Please tell me what you think of the bassline in "When We Do". I'm leaning towards redoing it with a completely different bassline***

http://www.myspace.com/alonsolo

• Members

OK - just listened to all the tunes - most of them more than once.

I think that Valerie is the most finished product and I would definitely include that one. I really like Walk Away as well and also I really like How It Breaks. With the both Walk Away and Breaks, I'd love to hear some harmonies, though. A female harmony in How It Breaks would be especially nice in the prechorus and chorus.

I'm assuming that you were only looking for critique on the unmastered stuff, by my favorite thing of all the tunes is the chorus of Maybe.

The country song has potential in a Bare Naked Ladies sort of way, buy I don't think it fits with the rest of your stuff IMO

• Members

OK - just listened to all the tunes - most of them more than once.

I think that Valerie is the most finished product and I would definitely include that one. I really like Walk Away as well and also I really like How It Breaks. With the both Walk Away and Breaks, I'd love to hear some harmonies, though. A female harmony in How It Breaks would be especially nice in the prechorus and chorus.

I'm assuming that you were only looking for critique on the unmastered stuff, by my favorite thing of all the tunes is the chorus of Maybe.

The country song has potential in a Bare Naked Ladies sort of way, buy I don't think it fits with the rest of your stuff IMO

Thanks a ton. I'll be putting female vocals on "How it breaks" sometime soon..

As for "Maybe" (I recorded that demo on my Iphone) that's the song everyone loves. In fact, that's the reason I am going back into the studio. Everyone loves that song to the point that it just *needs* to be on the EP. From a crowd acceptance standpoint, that's my best song.

• Members

Walk Away - Nice bouncy tune 2/4 time? Cool. I like the way the brushes go with electric lead and the beat of the acoustic. Although, I think there may be one too many lead guitars under the singing as the song builds. Makes the song sound busy - I like a single subtle electric lead in this kind of application. The vocals are apropo - haven't had time to absorb the lyrics, but on glance they seem decent.

Valerie - Never been a fan of gimmick vocal tricks. I suppose in this instance, it's warranted because of the implied anger in the lyric and overall tone of the song. I haven't heard strong backing vocals yet - although it's hard to tell because of the distortion. I'd like to hear backing vocals in your songs wherever you can manage. This is a cool retro sounding tune, though. Got a very 80's vibe with a catchy hook. I like how it builds both in energy and vocal cadence through the chorus. I like the way it ends.

Memphis - This song, too has a bit of a retro vibe. The drums sound panned to the left a bit more than I'm typically used to. The chorus on this one may need a few more takes to get a pitch problem or two cleared up - although you've hit most of it - I hear it mostly on the first chorus. But it sounds like it's right on the edge of your range. You've got a nice sense of dynamics - with all the songs so far - and song building - you know bringing it up and down without being too predictable. Very cool bridge into a cool and short guitar solo.

Song about a Girl - I'm not sure this is your type of song to sing. The vocals sound like they're being sung by someone who is not country but is trying to sound country. I get the premise of the song. It's clever - and God knows they love to be clever in country music - which I suppose is the joke. But the corny lyrics with the vocal delivery style may make it a novelty - and if that's the point, then that's just fine. Musically, it's competant, if not unremarkable. The electric guitar is quite good.

Maybe - I'm thinking this recording is not going on the record - but i like the song. Oh - I just reread your post. Yes - I agree - this should be recorded properly. It's perfectly in your vocal range and it's very catchy and heartfelt. I would say that in the purest sense it's the best song of the bunch.

I see no When We Do song in your list. Good luck - hope this helpful and not counterproductive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow....was expecting something a little different....lol

Only one thing that really stuck out....besides maybe rerecording these songs.

Memphis = Hold on Loosely

That intro really jumped out at me. Maybe that's where the "retro" vibe is coming from.

I like the songs. I just think the recordings are a little weak.

But what do I know....You live in Austin and only have 3 more chicks to bed before having done them all....lol

Were these project studio recordings?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived