Do you think club owners complain about

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tired of living out of a suitcase and being in bars all the time.

Sounds like you gave it a shot ,,,, before pulling the plug to weekend warrior status. For us it was pretty easy. Our horn players still had a year in HS to go ,, and the rest of us were going to college when we were getting approachd about recording and doing the road thing. That band meeting didnt take long.

The ones that wanted music as a career all majored in it. Vietnam and the draft and watching guys get drafted out of signed bands made up alot of guys minds to choose other career paths. Being on the road gets old. I know , you travel alot as a pilot ,, but it was part of the job as were the long hours and having to be at the airport 7 days a week. I knew that going in. I can say I dont miss it ,, but I am glad i had enough success at it to stick it out. It took a while to get a job where I didnt travel as much ...but you will have that.

• Members

Tired of living out of a suitcase and being in bars all the time.

I've tried to find a copy of Frank Zappa's movie "200 Motels", but netflix doesn't have it. (I played with Jeff Simmons briefly.)

The main problem with the road is that it's 24/7 (we had no home base.) There's no room for other interests outside the band "family". There's no escape from band issues.

Later on I had house band gigs . . . but I thought I could find a better paying career.

I consider myself fortunate. I worked with several guys who would tell me repeatedly, "this is all I know", as if they couldn't imagine getting trained in anything new at the age of 24.

Archived