Do you think club owners complain about

• Members

If you have a band with people who have serious day jobs they will ALL arrive on time and start on time and have the stage cleaned off right away. If you have a band of full time musicians... not so much.

-that's just a general observation but I've noticed it a lot. Seems when responsibility is required in one aspect of your life you let it bleed into others.

I don't know...it's the opposite with me. I'm the one with the day gig usually running in at the last minute while the full timers have been there for hours, just chillin. But we do start on time every time, empty room or not.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The club where I work has a band every night. Local and regional acts, or the house band.

The club opens at 8:00 and the band has to have competed load in and sound check by then.

The show ALWAYS starts at 9:30 even if there is no one there. The band gets a guarantee. We charge a $10 cover. Usually (not always) the door is enough to pay the band.

One thing is certain, no matter what week of the year, or what convention is in town, the band always think the crowd is there because of them.

One week we had a big convention in town and the place was packed. We probably did $6,000 at the door. The band

• Members

I do personally think that if you're running an entertainment venue you shouldn't expect the bands you book to bring in all your clientel. If that's the case, why does the band need you?

It should be a joint venture. It's in everyone's best interests to get as many people out there as possible. The band still needs the venue to provide the place, the alcohol, the food, the staff.

• Members

The complaints I hear from bar owners about other bands are

Too loud

Play boring, cry in the beer type of songs that nobody wants to hear.

Play blues.

RE: these last 2 points:

Are bands not doing a good enough job of letting the client know what songs they play, or is it more a question of the club owner's not paying any attention at all to what the bands are about and what they do before they hire them?

Our songlist is easily accessible online as well as in our promo pack, and no doubt contains songs that some would find "boring" or "blues".

But we're getting and keeping gigs, as are other bands that also play "boring cry in your beer tunes" and "blues".

So again, I wonder were the problem truly lies here?

• Members

RE: these last 2 points:

Are bands not doing a good enough job of letting the client know what songs they play, or is it more a question of the club owner's not paying any attention at all to what the bands are about and what they do before they hire them?

Our songlist is easily accessible online as well as in our promo pack, and no doubt contains songs that some would find "boring" or "blues".

But we're getting and keeping gigs, as are other bands that also play "boring cry in your beer tunes" and "blues".

So again, I wonder were the problem truly lies here?

Couldn't tell you. That's just what I hear on a somewhat regular basis.

• Members

there is room for all types of bands. Years ago I used to go out to see a band and what kept me interested was the level of their musicianship. Now that would bore me unless they were great musicians AND knew how to keep a crowd interested.

I recently saw a band playing great classic tunes flawlessly to a bored crowd.

• Members

Some club owners are professional. Some club owners are retards.

Some bands are professional. Some bands are a group of ass hats.

Professional people tend to work with professional people.

Ass hats get to work with retards.

• Moderators

Some club owners are professional. Some club owners are retards.

Some bands are professional. Some bands are a group of ass hats.

Professional people tend to work with professional people.

Ass hats get to work with retards.

So... if I am a 'short bus' driver or a Special Ed. Teacher I'm an asshat?!?!? What if I'm related to retards? Like in the cases of my cousin John-John. Am I still an asshat? In other words, can I inherit my asshatedness? Or is it something I need to choose.

Genetic or Environment?

• Members

So... if I am a 'short bus' driver or a Special Ed. Teacher I'm an asshat?!?!? What if I'm related to retards? Like in the cases of my cousin John-John. Am I still an asshat? In other words, can I inherit my asshatedness? Or is it something I need to choose.

Genetic or Environment?

It all depends...are you a club owner or are you in a band?

• Members

Those are the bands that I avoid. Nothing like watching a bored drummer and bass player keep time & rhythm while someone is trying to be SRV. A couple of songs maybe but not all night.

Those are the bands I avoid. Nothing like watching an over-animated drummer and bass player lose all sense of groove and rhythm while someone is trying to be Scott Weiland. A couple of songs maybe but not all night.

• Members
Couldn't tell you. That's just what I hear on a somewhat regular basis.

I've heard club-owners bitch about the bands that they hire on a regular basis, and praise bands that they don't.

Kinda makes me wonder how much stock I would put in that kind of opinion; seems to me in many cases personal musical preference and not necessarily what's good for the business. :idea:

• Members

What I hear the most is: "That band is too damn loud".

That is one thing that we have worked on. We get compliments from owners and staff on our volume. It isn't always easy. I think everyone likes to open up thier rig a little and most gigs just don't allow you to do that unless you are using a lower wattage amp.

Max

• Members
That is one thing that we have worked on. We get compliments from owners and staff on our volume. It isn't always easy. I think everyone likes to open up thier rig a little and most gigs just don't allow you to do that unless you are using a lower wattage amp.

Max

Several months ago, our guitar player started using a tiny 15-watt practice amp that we mic and run it through the mains and monitors. I have also made a point of just turning my bass rig up loud enough to be a heard on stage and thereby allowing the PA to do it's job. It's been mostly fantastic.
:thu:

• Members

Those are the bands that I avoid. Nothing like watching a bored drummer and bass player keep time & rhythm while someone is trying to be SRV. A couple of songs maybe but not all night.

I couldn't agree more; blues just bores me to tears after two or three songs.

• Members
One thing I have noticed with a lot of bands in my area is the inability to start on time. I think the band I am in is part of a small percentage of bands that can actually be ready to play when we are supposed to. Do these guys show up late every day for thier day time jobs also?

Max

We have had clubs bump the start time many, many times. It's equally irritating for a band to be ready to go at the advertised start time and then have the club bump it back a half hour... leaving the band to field any potential complaints from patrons about not starting on time. One hand washes the other.

• Members

We have had clubs bump the start time many, many times. It's equally irritating for a
band
to be ready to go at the advertised start time and then have the club bump it back a half hour... leaving the band to field any potential complaints from patrons about not starting on time. One hand washes the other.

That reminds me of another one; juggling the order with multi band sets.

"Oh by the way you are playing at 1:00 instead of 11:30"

And the ever popular:

"Band is here from out of town so we are putting them on in your place"

All kinds of fun making your fans sit around 2 hours longer than they planned because some club owner is so daft he would screw up a cup of coffee.

• Members

...Not to mention multi-band gigs where the schedule was planned without any consideration that there will need to be some time set aside to change bands between sets. ...But now I'm going off topic here...:facepalm:

• Members

That reminds me of another one; juggling the order with multi band sets.

"Oh by the way you are playing at 1:00 instead of 11:30"

And the ever popular:

"Band
is here from out of town so we are putting them on in your place"

All kinds of fun making your fans sit around 2 hours longer than they planned because some club owner is so daft he would screw up a cup of coffee.

He isnt screwing up ,, he is keeping your people there two extra hours and sucking more money out of them. dude they plan that {censored}.

Archived