Starting my own band

• Members

I've been itching to form a new band, and I now have a drummer and bass player lined up.

Still searching for a lead guitarist who can sing a bit.

My band's repetoire will be what amounts to Sirius/XM's First Wave station.

Lots of early MTV music, Depeche Mode, Cure, Smiths, etc...on into 90s material, like Green Day and Weezer (I think I will forego any grunge, even though the genre became amalgamated with alt-rock)

I think this band will fill a definite niche, in the area.

So...anybody have suggestions beyond the obvious? :)

• Members

I've been itching to form a new band, and I now have a drummer and bass player lined up.

Still searching for a lead guitarist who can sing a bit.

My band's repetoire will be what amounts to Sirius/XM's First Wave station.

Lots of early MTV music, Depeche Mode, Cure, Smiths, etc...on into 90s material, like Green Day and Weezer (I think I will forego any grunge, even though the genre became amalgamated with alt-rock)

I think this band will fill a definite niche, in the area.

So...anybody have suggestions beyond the obvious?
:)

Move the band to Delaware so you can play the beaches and I can come to all of your shows!

My friend Marc was trying to get something like that together a little while ago. There is definitely an audience for it around here. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many musicians in this area willing/able to do much other than classic or modern rock. :(

• Members

Nah.

"Head over Heels" is more accessible for the ladies.

Hell, I'd play in a Tears For Fears tribute band if there was one around.

I love "Head over Heels" (and played that one years ago. GREAT song for a keyboard player). But "Change" has more of that synth-driven brooding "early wave" feel Cooter seems to be talking about.

TFF is one of all-time favorites. And one of the reason is because their albums are so different. "The Hurting" is a masterpiece of early 80's synth-driven angst. "Big Chair" is much closer to U2 style arena rock. "Seeds of Love" is a pinnacle of adult-contemporary slick-studio production. I love those first 3 albums. And the recent "Everybody Loves a Happy Ending" as well.

• Members

Actually, as I go through the now 90-odd list of song possibilities, there is not nearly as much keyboard as I would have originally believed.

Also...I have stretched my timeline into the late 90s...lots of guitar, so I will obviously have to re-develop my callouses, but I am still trying to find a lead guitarist.

Here's the songs under consideration, so far - feel free to comment.

Clash

• Members

Some advice from a band that named itself after your state - I figure they might know a thing or two about Alabama:

If you wanna play in Montgomery

You gotta have a Fender in the band

That lead synth is hot, but not for "Sweet Home Alabam"

So tune up that old gitar for "Freebird" and let's all dance

If you wanna play in Montgomery

You gotta have a Fender in the band

LOL

• Members

Sounds pretty cool, if I was anywhere near your area I'd want to audition. There's quite a range going on with some of those vocals however, isn't it gonna be tough to cover some of those?

I purposely stayed in my range, in case I wind up being the only lead singer.

• Members

Love the list, cooterbrown! My current band actually does a few of those tunes. I'm strongly considering switching off on keys for Gary Numan - Cars and Whip It! - Devo. It's fun to do them on guitar, but I can play them a lot better on keys already (worked on them in my teens) and it would certainly make my band stick out if I did that. Might have to add another guitarist like your approach, but I think it would be worth it.

If I were in the area, I'd go see your band in a heartbeat! :thu:

I purposely stayed in my range, in case I wind up being the only lead singer.

Very smart. I use this approach with almost every song I pick. There are a few tunes where I like to challenge myself, but if it starts to sound a bit painful (to hear and physical toll on me), I drop it.

• Members

Love the list, cooterbrown!

If I were in the area, I'd go see your band in a heartbeat!
:thu:

Thanks, Tim...let me get it to the stage before we pass judgement, though. I am kinda worried about finding the right guitarist.

Not a lot to choose from in town, that I think would be reliable, completely into the music, and easy to get along with.

• Members

Sounds pretty cool, if I was anywhere near your area I'd want to audition. There's quite a range going on with some of those vocals however, isn't it gonna be tough to cover some of those?

Did a sweep through the list - kinda singing every song to myself in fast-forward...and I realize covering Colin Hay is gonna be tough, so Men at Work may not make the cut.

• Members

Did a sweep through the list - kinda singing every song to myself in fast-forward...and I realize covering Colin Hay is gonna be tough, so Men at Work may not make the cut.

I've found that, for me at least, trying to nail a singer's particular phrasing can be just as difficult as trying to sing in key and within range.

• Members

Thanks, Tim...let me get it to the stage before we pass judgement, though. I am kinda worried about finding the right guitarist.

Not a lot to choose from in town, that I think would be reliable, completely into the music, and easy to get along with.

I hear ya, really. It was tough enough to find the two guys I'm with. While the situation is far from ideal, it's the closest thing to Heaven I've dealt with in quite a while.

Finding another guitarist that can compliment you, as you play keyboards and guitar, is going to be a challenge. I keep flip-flopping between being a vocalist/guitarist/keyboardist and find another guitarist, or sticking with being a vocalist/guitarist and just finding a keyboardist that could possibly play some rhythm.

Decisions, decisions...

• Members

I hear ya, really. It was tough enough to find the two guys I'm with. While the situation is far from ideal, it's the closest thing to Heaven I've dealt with in quite a while.

Finding another guitarist that can compliment you, as you play keyboards and guitar, is going to be a challenge. I keep flip-flopping between being a vocalist/guitarist/keyboardist and find another guitarist, or sticking with being a vocalist/guitarist and just finding a keyboardist that could possibly play some rhythm.

Decisions, decisions...

I don't play any lead guitar, so that narrows my choices even more.

I have a real good friend who might be interested...keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm not looking for a huge commitment...I would be happy to gig this band just once a month.

Archived