How Do I Sample This And Best Keep My Integrity?

• Members

...because I don't want to offend any REAL musicians that might walk into a gig of ours...

So we're playing the song "Dude Looks Like A Lady" by Aerosmith, and it's got that Robert Plant sample that is played throughout. Do I go back and snip the original bit from "Black Dog"? Or do I just snip from the Aerosmith recording?

Which is more "authentic" and less of a "rip off"?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...because I don't want to offend any REAL musicians that might walk into a gig of ours...

So we're playing the song "Dude Looks Like A Lady" by Aerosmith, and it's got that Robert Plant sample that is played throughout. Do I go back and snip the original bit from "Black Dog"? Or do I just snip from the Aerosmith recording?

Which is more "authentic" and less of a "rip off"?

Robert Plant sample?

I've heard that song a million times; didn't realize there was a Robert Plant sample in there.

• Members

Robert Plant sample?

I've heard that song a million times; didn't realize there was a Robert Plant sample in there.

Yeah, the "Hey, hey. Hey, hey" that is on every chorus before Tyler sings "Dude Looks Like A Lady" is a sample of the very beginning of "Black Dog".

• Members

Yeah, the "Hey, hey. Hey, hey" that is on every chorus before Tyler sings "Dude Looks Like A Lady" is a sample of the very beginning of "Black Dog".

Crazy.

Why not just sing it live?

You don't need a sample for that: have a background vocalist do it.

• Members

Crazy.

Why not just sing it live?

You don't need a sample for that: have a background vocalist do it.

What he said. The only person at the gig who's going to care that it's an authentic sample is going to be you.

• Members

Neither, because your band will NOT have the exact tempo as the recording, and when you trigger that sound, it will sound like {censored}.

• Members

I don't know what he does live. The one time I saw them do the song in concert years ago, I'm pretty sure they were playing to a track with the sample on it, but I actually don't remember.

The video I uploaded above is a live version. Check it out.

• Members

Neither, because your band will NOT have the exact tempo as the recording, and when you trigger that sound, it will sound like {censored}.

Not true. For one thing, we have a drummer who gets tempos VERY VERY close. And the sample is so short that you'd have to be playing way, way off tempo for it to matter.

The truth is, I've done this song with both samples. Interestingly enough, my first thought was that Aerosmith used a sample of Plant singing "hey hey". So I sampled that. But when I did that I realized the Plant singing is a bit slower than the Aerosmith record. So they either sped up the sample, but kept it in pitch or had a quick loop of just the first "hey". So I sampled just the first "hey" and would trigger it twice every time. Worked fine, even though there was a slight (but undetectable live) hic-cup when I'd cut the first "hey" off a little too quick.

When I accidentally dumped that sample, I decided to sample off the Aerosmith recording. It's easier to play, because I only have to trigger once (actually twice, instead of 4 times) and sounds a bit more authentic because Aerosmith dirtied up the sample a bit with effects, but then I've got the background noise to deal with (which, again, isn't detectable live but is a tad annoying for me personally.)

I brought this subject up somewhat facetitiously not because I really need help on choosing which sample to use, but because I wanted to make the point that sampling does not exist because, as some have asserted here, those who sample can't play. Tyler is obviously more than capable of singing those notes. But using the Zeppelin sample creates a certain effect that, consiously or subconsiously, give the recording a particular flavor and reaction from the listener that could not likely be achieved by just having Tyler sing the notes.

• Members

The video I uploaded above is a live version. Check it out.

No it isn't. It the video they made of the studio version. Tyler is lip-synching, and he's not lip-synching the sampled vocal. It's just playing with nobody lip-synching to it. (Same with the horn parts.)

• Members

No, it's studio audio, synced to "live" footage.... that isn't really live.

OK, you're right. It did sound like a different version . . . but it took me several times through to finally pick out the (very short) Plant contribution.

It would never occur to me that that part would be considered essential to a cover performance of this song.

• Members

OK, you're right. It did sound like a different version . . . but it took me several times through to finally pick out the (very short) Plant contribution.

It would never occur to me that that part would be considered essential to a cover performance of this song.

Maybe we're not talking about the same part.

• Members

I'm sure we all are - "Hey Hey x 2" before every "Dude looks like a lady" - Taken from "Hey hey mamma said the way you move..."

To the rest of us, it just seems so minor an issue, that it's really not worth all this trouble.

• Members

I think we are . . . the measure leading into the chorus. As you said, it's very brief. I take your point about it being so brief that it has little chance of messing up the time, but for the same reason, it just doesn't seem like a cover band needs to go to the trouble.

You do realize, of course, that I (and I think Wade, too) knew what you were up to with this post. I don't think I every claimed that the use of samples immediately relegates you to the ranks of talentless, hacks. I think the point that Wade and I are making generally about the samples compromising a groove is important, but in this case, I would say that the real issue is more about what attributes of a song you want to bring to your cover version. Depends on your musical style, genre, philosophy, skill set, equipment. As was stated above, I don't think anyone but you will care . . . . but if you want to do it, in this case, I don't mind. ;)

• Members

I'm sure we all are - "Hey Hey x 2" before every "Dude looks like a lady" - Taken from "Hey hey mamma said the way you move..."

To the rest of us, it just seems so minor an issue, that it's really not worth all this trouble.

In other words, bad example to make your point. ;)

• Members

I just find it odd that Carl doesn't find the part to be essential. Sure, you could leave it out and still play the song, but I would think any band covering this song would either sample or sing these notes. They seems as essential to the chorus to me as the words "dude looks like a lady" are.

Like I said, I started this thread to make a point about sampling as an offshoot from the other thread we had on the topic. I've played the song with both samples and both work fine (although in slightly different ways). When we were playing this song at our gig yesterday it got me thinking about the use of the sample so I thought it was a valid point for discussion here.

Archived