No Ad in the Newspaper

jeff42

• Members

uggh... happened to us today. We are playing a club in town and the ad in the newspaper doesn't mention us. There is an ad there but no mention of the band... We are on the sign in front of the place (so we ARE supposed to play tonight) but not in the newspaper. I would think it's the clubs fault normally but- our town's paper has been screwing up more often lately with this kinda stuff.

Lucky for us it hasn't happened since last year but for a few other local bands it has happened more often. We'll be calling the club soon and making them aware of the situation. We have a great relationship with them and they have a decent crowd usually no matter what so-

Hopefully word of mouth, us plugging this show at the benefit we played last night and the sign out front will make for a decent night

• Members

Do you think people go to the paper to see what's going on on a given night? I haven't gotten a newspaper in years, so I don't know.

I do know that advertising in the LSU Tiger Weekly is a good thing, but the general newspaper????

My gut feeling is that the paper's oversight will have little to no effect on the size of the crowd you play to tonight.

• Members

uggh... happened to us today. We are playing a club in town and the ad in the newspaper doesn't mention us. There is an ad there but no mention of the band... We are on the sign in front of the place (so we ARE supposed to play tonight) but not in the newspaper.

How long have you had the gig booked? Maybe they didn't get the info about you playing until after they put the ad copy to bed.

• Members

this has been booked for about 2 months. in my town if you want to know what's going on on the weekends the back page of the newspaper will tell ya. My boss would kill me for saying this but the newspaper (in my town) is still is the way to get your ad out there to a ton of people on a daily basis.

But this family owned newspaper was bought out by a big ass corp. a fgew years ago and since then the quality has dropped and many mistakes have been made with countless ads.

No ad in the newspaper does have an effect on our crowd, how much of an effect depends on where we are playing. Tonight I feel like we'll be OK.

• Members

The entertainment rag in my town won't mention your show unless the club buys advertising.

You might find the new "corporate owner" has the same philosophy.

this was a paid ad. Something this place does almost on a daily basis with the newspaper. I found out last night that it was the newspaper's fault. They ran friday's ad saturday too. same ad both days.

as far as the crowd goes it was lighter than the last 2 times we played there but I think it wasn't us. it was the lack of an ad. still a decent night overall.

• Members

There was time in my market about 10 yrs ago where local newspaper ads were an effective way of advertising a club schedule... but that's probably faded in the last 4-5 years with social networking. It's funny but the only bars that still do place ads are the ones without websites or facebook pages. They are usually the ones that are empty as well. I know that some local clubs we play still place regular ads, but most don't. My dad will tell me if he saw that we were play 'X' club... but that sorta my point. My dad is 68 and checks his email 1x's per week. That's pretty much the remaining demographic for the local paper. ;)

• Members

Could it be the same ad that the club run every week? Sort of a Live Band Friday and Saturday at 9:00.

that wouldn't have been bad if it was but the ad that ran made no mention of any live music.

Grant, I wish my hometown was more like that but it's not. Newpaper ads are a must for places having live bands. Even if they promote on thier website/facebook/myspace they need to run an ad. And this place we played at doesn't have a facebook or webpage.

The entertainment news-mag in Northeasten PA pretty much only covers bars/clubs 20 miles north of me. Places we only play once every few months.

I SO hope this changes...

Like I said before we did do OK last night but in the back of my mind I know we could have done so much better.

Archived