Contests During Gigs...

mineame

• Members

So I was talking to my drummer today about an idea I have...

To end set 3, we would have a song where the chix dance. Winner of said dance contest would win a drink on the band.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Too cheesy?

Any good ideas for tunes that women will just get up to?

• Members

To end set 3, we would have a song where the chix dance. Winner of said dance contest would win a drink on the band.

Every halloween the bass player and I pick four chicks out of the crowd and make them do a sexy dance contest. It's really just a shameless way to hit on attention whores... which... is kind of awesome.

• Members

We used to play the 11' oclock game where we would ask a girl onstage and see if she could chug a beer faster than the singer (she usually won!). We'd then do it again at 12:00 etc. It was a good way to get some cheap audience interaction, a quick break for the drummer who had to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes for a piss and generally well received.

We used to ask the manager at the start of the night if it was cool. All of the bars we played had no problem with it (some even bought the beers) but I could see some places frowning on drinking games.

• Members

we usually split the crowd in two have 'em sing a chorus of a song and the loudest side gets a few free T-shirts.

Saturday we gave away 2 NASCAR tix to the best dancer. Some girl cleared the floor and did "the worm." :lol: She won! it was too funny! I wish we had it on video!

• Members

LOL... there was a local band that began promoting 'Free Budweiser" at shows to gain the attention of a local beer distributor for sponsorship. They would give "Free Bud" coupons printed from a home printer, to people in the audience and encourage them to go to the bar for a free beer.... where the bartender would usually say... "Um, what's this? We're not giving away free beer"

The gimmick worked initially... the beer distributor agreed to sponsor them. Until a few months down the road, club owners complained and they were unceremoniously dropped from the sponsorship.

:facepalm:

We just do things on the fly. Then again we usually have people onstage dancing with us by the first set. If the mood strikes us or someone in the crowd stands out we'll do something sponatenous. Invite someone up. We do a Grease medley and we usually will choose someone different from the crowd to sing the Sandra Dee parts. It's ok to plan a little crowd interaction, but if it looks rehearsed or planned well then it just looks like a gimmick.

DSC04896.JPG

DSC09019.JPG

• Members

Sounds like a good idea to me.

• Members

Question about driving/drinking and liability. - Do you have any concern if someone injured themselves after one of your contests where alcohol was a prize, that they might go after you?

We've stayed away from doing stuff like that because there's been cases where the bar has been held libel for someone's idiocy.

js

• Members

In terms of liability we always asked the owner/manager first and made sure we gave away only 1 beer. Plus we hand-picked the girl and made sure she was'nt drunk. I do agree with your point on drinking and driving. Perhaps this could be avoided when you bring the "contestant" on stage and asking if they're driving.

• Members

We used to play the 11' oclock game where we would ask a girl onstage and see if she could chug a beer faster than the singer (she usually won!). We'd then do it again at 12:00 etc. It was a good way to get some cheap audience interaction, a quick break for the drummer who had to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes for a piss and generally well received.

We used to ask the manager at the start of the night if it was cool. All of the bars we played had no problem with it (some even bought the beers) but I could see some places frowning on drinking games.

we did the KJB Challenge(Kevin James Bitch, thats me) where i would pic one girl out of a group of volunteers to chug a beer faster than me. i was undefeated until this one chick absolutely kicked my ass! i thought i was good but she could chug! heard later that she could chug all kinds of stuff! anyway, if the girl lost she had to pull her shirt up(they seldom did), and if i lost, i had to play the rest of the set with my shirt off(i had to once). it works great but not a lot of fun if i was sick that night!

• Members

We try to do things more on-the-fly than planned out, but if you're going to do any sort of contest stuff, it's best to bring 'em up on stage if you can so you can get more audience response. We do air-guitar contests, who-can-sing-the-song-best...stuff like that. One that works pretty well is playing the intro to "Don't Fear The Reaper" and having a "who can play the cowbell the loudest" contest. That one is more for the guys though.

"Jessies Girl", "Don't Stop Believin", "Pour Some Sugar On Me", "You Shook Me All Night Long", "Sweet Child of Mine" are probably our best sure-fire chick-dancin'/singin' songs.

• Members

We just started playing Bad Romance by Lady Gaga and that seems to pack the dance floor.

we've been doing this one for awhile. It hasn't failed yet. We do a rockified version of it but it works well.

"Jessies Girl" - still works

"Don't Stop Believin"- we don't do it but I have never seen it not work.

"Pour Some Sugar On Me"- works even better than jesse's girl for us

"You Shook Me All Night Long"- ladies love to scream along with this

"Sweet Child of Mine" - we stopped playing this years ago when we parted ways with our female vocalist. No one has asked about it so I doubt we'll bring it back. BUT it does work well usually.

• Members

Like Jeff42 said, it works great rocked out. We have a male singer that's got great high end so we get away with the AC/DC's & Guns stuff. We just don't do Journey cause I'm sick of seeing bands that have a terrible selection of music that they play a Journey song, pack the dance floor, move to the next song and everybody is in the bathroom so they play another Journey song playing four or five in one set.

• Members

Like Jeff42 said, it works great rocked out. We have a male singer that's got great high end so we get away with the AC/DC's & Guns stuff. We just don't do Journey cause I'm sick of seeing bands that have a terrible selection of music that they play a Journey song, pack the dance floor, move to the next song and everybody is in the bathroom so they play another Journey song playing four or five in one set.

We do two Journey songs--"Don't Stop" and "Any Way You Want It". Thinking about maybe adding "Lovin' Touchin'". "Don't Stop" isn't a song for packing the dance floor, but is a great sing-along tune. We often do it at the very end of the night as a way to wind-down: get the the whole room standing around singing it instead of dancing.

We have a female vocalist now that sings it, but we were doing it before with no singer at all. We didn't have anybody who could even come close to singing that high, (even our guy who screams out the AC/DC and Guns and does a good "Any Way" can't hit the high notes on that one!) so we would just do it as a "let the crowd sing it" song.

• Members

We just started playing Bad Romance by Lady Gaga and that seems to pack the dance floor.

we've been doing bad romance more or less note for note to the album (clip on the wesbite in my sig) and we've had people RUN inside from having a smoke outside to the dance floor. not many bands are doing it right now (probably because its highly synthesized)

• Members

Every halloween the bass player and I pick four chicks out of the crowd and make them do a sexy dance contest. It's really just a shameless way to hit on attention whores... which... is kind of awesome.

ahh.. ^^ This is why I wanted to play in bands when I was 15 :thu:

• Members

we've been doing bad romance more or less note for note to the album (clip on the wesbite in my sig) and we've had people RUN inside from having a smoke outside to the dance floor. not many bands are doing it right now (probably because its highly synthesized)

We do it 2 guitars, bass, & drums; no keys.

• Members

LOL... there was a local band that began promoting 'Free Budweiser" at shows to gain the attention of a local beer distributor for sponsorship. They would give "Free Bud" coupons printed from a home printer, to people in the audience and encourage them to go to the bar for a free beer.... where the bartender would usually say... "Um, what's this? We're not giving away free beer"

The gimmick worked initially... the beer distributor agreed to sponsor them. Until a few months down the road, club owners complained and they were unceremoniously dropped from the sponsorship.

:facepalm:

I wonder if it was that baldguitardude guy....:lol:

Archived