Fired for bringing a P.A.

maxnew40

• Members

We played this BBQ place on Saturday. It was our second gig there. The owner is a grumping ex-musician.

We showed up early to get set up and asked him about mving his little tiny P.A. system that consisted of a very small 6 channel powered mixer two monitor speaker and two mains. I'm betting that that mixer couldn't have pushed more than 200 watts for both monitors and mains. No aux send or anything. He said that he sort of had a problem with us not using his system. I tols him that it didn't have the sends we would need to hook up ear monitors and regular monitors and that our P.A. system was much better and wouls allow us to get the mix that we needed. So he starts bitching about why he paid money for his crappy little system, and is pissed that we critized his gear.

He let us tear his stuff down as long as we set it back up, so we moved his stuff and set our stuff.

At the end of the night he was again complaining that he had to hang around while we tore down and loaded out. He got pissed at the singer for implying that the owners gear was crap (which it is). The singer told him that if he really didn't like it he could fire us, and that we were not going to use his system.

I don't think we are going back there, we can't play through a system like that.

Max

• Members

That's lame as hell.

We run minimal PA but even so, what you've described is not acceptable.

We had a similar deal with a VA hall, and we haven't been back, even though the owner called our leader himself and even offered to increase the pay by 200 dollars.

• Members

Sounds like the owner got all butthurt because his musician ego got bruised. I mean, a system like that would be okay for a solo or duo acoustic set up, but for a full band? C'mon, that's ridiculous. You'd think he'd be happy that you'd come in with superior gear and not put wear and tear on his.

Oh well...they can't all be winners I suppose.

• Members

This situation that occurred though, with both the singer and Max basically pissing off the owner, is why our band has ONE point of contact with club staff.

At the VA hall, I bitched about the PA to Tim, not the VA staff. I let him translate that into an acceptable, businesslike presentation that will hopefully have the desired result.

Every band IMO should have one and only one spokesperson: other members should not communicate band issues to staff. That's the way we roll and it seems to be working.

I take it so far as to refer prospects to Tim - even if I have business cards, etc... and could IN THEORY help to promote our band - I'm not the one in charge of the calendar - I'm not the one that has proven success in negotiating and keeping gigs.

Tim is - so I send those folks over to him. I think sometimes band members try to do too much, and sometimes appoint themselves as a band spokesman without realizing they're doing that; that's problematic at best.

• Members

Any time we play a place that says they provide the PA we get details on exactly what they provide. If it's not adequate we'll tell them we're bringing our own. That doesn't happen often and it the rare occasions where we have provided our own instead of using the house system it hasn't been a problem, but in your case, I think I would have turned down the gig.

• Members

Every band IMO should have one and only one spokesperson: other members should not communicate band issues to staff. That's the way we roll and it seems to be working.

I take it so far as to refer prospects to Tim - even if I have business cards, etc... and could IN THEORY help to promote our band - I'm not the one in charge of the calendar - I'm not the one that has proven success in negotiating and keeping gigs.

I agree. In my band, too, we have a "spokesman" who is the contact person and books the gigs. He's the one who handles dealing with the clubowners/managers etc at the gigs. Works best.

Since I'm the 'technical' guy, they'll often get sent to me so we can discuss hooking up to house PAs, power issues and the like, but otherwise I don't, and would rather not, have direct discussion with clubowners beyond casual conversation.

• Members

I agree. In my band, too, we have a "spokesman" who is the contact person and books the gigs. He's the one who handles dealing with the clubowners/managers etc at the gigs. Works best.

Since I'm the 'technical' guy, they'll often get sent to me so we can discuss hooking up to house PAs, power issues and the like, but otherwise I don't, and would rather not, have direct discussion with clubowners beyond casual conversation.

We have a manager who is treated and an equal share member of the band. He deals with all communications with club owners/managers. IMO, he's worth every penny he makes.

• Members

Sounds like the owner got all butthurt because his musician ego got bruised. I mean, a system like that would be okay for a solo or duo acoustic set up, but for a full band? C'mon, that's ridiculous. You'd think he'd be happy that you'd come in with superior gear and not put wear and tear on his.

Oh well...they can't all be winners I suppose.

It may be a case of the owner was interested in limiting the volume of the band. Too loud can be a big problem when a band starts loading it the big gear. I can see not wanting to use a PA thats junk ,,,I can also see a bar owner wanting to get his customers blown out of the place. What ever ,, you guys go fired over it. The bottom line is that its his bar.

• Members

We have a manager who is treated and an equal share member of the band. He deals with all communications with club owners/managers. IMO, he's worth every penny he makes.

I want this, but the rest of the band feels like it would be a waste. One extra gig per month and it would pay for itself.

The band leader does have a rather strong personality, so I could see some conflict arising.

• Members

This situation that occurred though, with both the singer and Max basically pissing off the owner, is why our band has ONE point of contact with club staff.

At the VA hall, I bitched about the PA to Tim, not the VA staff. I let him translate that into an acceptable, businesslike presentation that will hopefully have the desired result.

Tim is - so I send those folks over to him. I think sometimes band members try to do too much, and sometimes appoint themselves as a band spokesman without realizing they're doing that; that's problematic at best.

and this ... fellows ... is the true meaning of life. figure out what you do great, do it. figure out that you aren;t great at something, let someone else handle it. whether it's the PA system, contract negotiation, payment, accounting ...

if you are not good at it, admit it and get someone else - whether they are cooler, more verbally adept, or a better liar to handle it.

that's why at my company we only let ONE person speak to customers about money issues. he wins everytime and the customers like him. (BTW, it's me).

• Members

He knew in advance that we would be bringing our P.A. The owner was just in a pissy mood because he had put in a long day the day before for a catered event. He was just walking around venting to the whole band while we were tearing down trying to start some {censored} with anyone that would listen.

It was kinda funny in a way because at the start of the night he said he was happy that we brought so many people because his music nights have been real slow lately. However we got a lot of online and personal comments that while the band was good, the food and the service were not good. It would likely be a tough sell to get those people to come back there again anyway.

Max

• Members

If I can use their mains & mons it's a lot less bull{censored} to haul and deal with. I like to bring my own mixer, because I know how to run it. Much easier than learning another board on the fly.

Sounds like the real prob here was about the gig, not the music. Seems you could reason with a current/former working musician. A little diplomacy can carry the day.

• Members

This guy likes to brag about firing people. The first time we played there the waitress told us to stop at 10:00 and we were supposed to play until 11:00, he let us know that he fired her for that. We noticed during set up that none of our posters were up in the windows. He told us his window washer ruined them so he had to fire the window washer.

His favorite band tried playing on his system one time, and they were making comments on the mic about how they had to bring thier own system from now on.

With the poor food and poor service I think his days may be numbered in the BBQ business.

Max

• Members

We do something similar - except that it's not necesssarily the same guy for each gig. In our case, it's the guy who brought the gig. Each of us has been around the block a few times and each have contacts in our own right. If a gig comes from one of my contacts - I'm the point of contact for that client. If a gig that come through one of the guitar player's contacts - he's the contact for that client. The approach applies to all members of the band.

I play the role of "business manager" for random contacts (meaning that my bandmates point random requests to me). I also work with any bandmates who are serving as "point of contact" for their contacts to ensure that we coordinate schedules and pricing in a consistent manner.

We've found that this approach lets clients feel like they're getting some "I know somebody in the band" leverage ... along with the comfort of dealing with somebody they already know.

• Members

This guy likes to brag about firing people. The first time we played there the waitress told us to stop at 10:00 and we were supposed to play until 11:00, he let us know that he fired her for that. We noticed during set up that none of our posters were up in the windows. He told us his window washer ruined them so he had to fire the window washer.

His favorite band tried playing on his system one time, and they were making comments on the mic about how they had to bring thier own system from now on.

With the poor food and poor service I think his days may be numbered in the BBQ business.

Max

wow sounds like an ass

• Members

THIS.... :thu: We've been doing this for 8 years. He is the single point of contact with all club owners, manages bookings, negotiates pay... etc. He also runs sound and is present at every gig. Better to pay an equal share instead of 15% to someone who doesn't even show to the gig.

It probably wouldn't have saved Max in his situations. Owner sounded like an ass. I would have laughed at the suggestion of using a 6 channel PA as well. ;)

• Members

I had a guy book me once for a solo gig and insist that I use this house PA. I had this little setup that was fine for the room - especially since it was a happy hour gig. But he wanted me to use this big house PA. So when I was done, i went to get paid and he wanted to charge me $50 for using his PA.

How could you take that any other way than he was ripping me off?

Lesson learned. It was about 15 years ago and I never played there again.

Archived