A proposition from another band...

• Members

You've already told him you're not interested and why, and offered a band referral. IMO, you should just go with the email. Otherwise you're likely to have to sit through yet another sales pitch, only this time with more people on his team. How many times do you have to tell a person 'No.'? Once again, I think you're being very generous with your patience. ;)

• Members

I've seen this kind of thing before and IMO you should stay away from it.

Usually when someone suggest this kind of thing its because there not getting any gigs.

Your right also about it pissing off the club owners, thats what happened out here, I was smart enough to stay away from it and ended up with more work than I could handle.

You've done enough for your friends band by giving him names and such of who to talk to for gigs.

• Members

You've already told him you're not interested and why, and offered a band referral. IMO, you should just go with the email. Otherwise you're likely to have to sit through yet another sales pitch, only this time with more people on his team. How many times do you have to tell a person 'No.'? Once again, I think you're being very generous with your patience.
;)

+1

If you go in person, he may thing you're starting to break down, and he'll be that much more persistent.

Clearly, this arrangement makes no sense whatsoever for your band. What would be in it for you guys? Nothing - you have coattails, and they want on 'em. That's all it looks like to me.

I'd just keep turing him down sternly but friendly, and eventually he'll figure it out.

Hey - take it as a compliment to how popular you guys have become!:thu:

• Members

Just because he won't take no for an answer doesn't mean you need to change your tune.

You don't want to do it. That's all you need to tell him.

And don't go to the thing in person.

"Sorry guy; like I said, sounds cool for you if you can make it work, but this is just not for me/us."[click]

• Members

you're Brad Pitt... William Macy, Paul Giamatti and Steve Buscemi want you to make a pact with them that none of you will bang Angelina Jolie unless ALL of you get to bang her. You're already banging her. Do you sign the deal?

LOL!!! :thu: Thanks great!

• Members

Always move up, not side or down. You may have to pass up on gigs here and there but it all takes time.

That being said, these other bands are trying to latch onto your band's recognition, that you've built over the years, to better themselves. Can't fault them for that. HOWEVER that in no way means you should help them out. Be polite and cordial, as it seems you have been, and decline. I would not go to the meeting only because it's like in a Mob movie when you know the guy's gonna get whacked and he's still wondering why everyone's acting funny then BAM ice pick to the dome!

:poke:

• Members

I think that band is really on to something. I'm going to give John Mayer, Jason Marz, and Keith Urban a call this weekend to discuss the same thing. I think the four of us could really put together something great.
:idea:

Hey I can help you out with that! More leechers the better!

• Members

you're Brad Pitt... William Macy, Paul Giamatti and Steve Buscemi want you to make a pact with them that none of you will bang Angelina Jolie unless ALL of you get to bang her. You're already banging her. Do you sign the deal?

hahaha! awesome!

• Members

Yeah - he definitely wants to ride some coattails. I think I've had that guy in my group for every group project I ever did in college. "Thanks for the A, buddy, see you next semester!"

You say he won't take no for an answer. Try "{censored} No!" that usually works for me!

• Members

there is a big difference between "Hey can ya put in a good word for me" and what this guy wants. I have helped other local bands before and they have helped me but what this guy wants IMO won't work for any involved.

• Members

If I felt VERY comfortable that they were a really good band that will do well in A list rooms, I'd offer to be their agent and use the connections I had to get them gigs and then take 10% of whatever they make, MAYBE.

But what they are asking for nets you or your band NOTHING, yet risks an awfully lot.

• Members

If I felt VERY comfortable that they were a really good band that will do well in A list rooms, I'd offer to be their agent and use the connections I had to get them gigs and then take 10% of whatever they make, MAYBE.

But what they are asking for nets you or your band NOTHING, yet risks an awfully lot.

I've thought long and hard over the years about doing the booking agency thing, but in the long run it's really not worth the headache. These guys are good, far from A list but solid B-list with potential for more. The problem about being an agent in this neck of the woods is that

#1- 10-15% doesn't net you much. 10% of $600 is $60.. and this band is worth $600-800. I've heard that they have charged upwards of $1000-1200 and club owners have been disappointed with both the turn out and quality of musicianship. These guys are all in their late 20's early 30's... so factor decent musicianship with lots of booze.

#2-Time & Rep- involved... I could probably get 4-5 bands booked... but I'd be on the phone and sending text messages every day. Also if they had a bad night, or a blowup or etc... then it's my neck on the line.

#3- Conflict of interest- I would always consider my band first. Plaoin and simple. I couldn't be objective, and I admit that. The other band would always get the short end of the stick or the {censored}tier booking. Hey... at least I'm honest. :D

• Members

You're a big fish in a small pond? He came to you to get established in your pond. You are in a position to move up and out. He wants a free ride on your coat tails. If he needs you to make his plan work, you don't need him, you need a plan. Sharks don't need lampreys. Lampreys need sharks.

He's all hat, no cattle. Pass.

• Members

Not sure where to just tell him in the email or in person with the other bands present.

I'd say email is fine. This isn't going to work for you. You've explained to him why. Meeting up with all the other bands will only get their hopes up if they feel they really need you to make this idea of theirs work.

• Members

I've thought long and hard over the years about doing the booking agency thing, but in the long run it's really not worth the headache. These guys are good, far from A list but solid B-list with potential for more. The problem about being an agent in this neck of the woods is that

#1- 10-15% doesn't net you much. 10% of $600 is $60.. and this band is worth $600-800. I've heard that they have charged upwards of $1000-1200 and club owners have been disappointed with both the turn out and quality of musicianship. These guys are all in their late 20's early 30's... so factor decent musicianship with lots of booze.

#2-Time & Rep- involved... I could probably get 4-5 bands booked... but I'd be on the phone and sending text messages every day. Also if they had a bad night, or a blowup or etc... then it's my neck on the line.

#3- Conflict of interest- I would always consider my band first. Plaoin and simple. I couldn't be objective, and I admit that. The other band would always get the short end of the stick or the {censored}tier booking. Hey... at least I'm honest.
:D

5 bands making $600 a show that play every weekend net you $300 a week, which is $15,000 a year in your pocket. Again, I'm not saying I'd do it. I'm just saying that's enough money to give me pause.

• Members

I have to agree with this. They have not got much to lose here, while the potential gain on their side is substantial: They take advantage of your rep to get into rooms you already play . . .

The loss to you . . . possibly a LOT.

1) One of their drunken musos has a run-in with a patron or staffer, or fouls up a set, and it's a black mark on YOU.

2) They start taking less money to get/keep gigs at one or more of your venues, and next thing you know, they've skewed/screwed the market and then YOU and other bands who had those rooms first are being pressured to cut your fees.

(I have to admit here to having played some years ago with a band that did that to a small market area near my home town. I was fairly naive at the time. I now no longer admit to having played with them unless someone has photos.)

3) And maybe one day they get to push YOU out and take over one or more of "your" venues. Who knows? Owners are venal by nature. It's not their fault. If they can get band B cheaper than band A, whatever their respective merits, they're gonna do it.

And what exactly do you gain? Not that much.

Bottom line, I say is . . .

Brad, keep Angelina to yourself!

(and frankly you were nuts for dumping Jen in the first place, but that's another story . . . ;) )

Archived