Guantanamo Bay... Anybody played there?

ckcondon

• Members

Ok Gang,

The gig is booked and we're heading to GITMO for July 4th! (Hence the other thread about patriotic songs)

We're pretty psyched about the opportunity to visit a foreign base and entertain the troops and their families.

We're playing two shows, one on the 3rd and then one on the 4th.

They are supplying all production and backline and it looks like they have hosted some pretty big bands. I'm pretty confident we won't have gear issues.

We're playing with another band, and they are more corporate/variety/wedding so there shouldn't be any toe-stepping (We're modern rock/party).

I'm curious if any of you have ever played down there and would be willing to share your experiences? How was the gear? Did you wish you brought something they didn't have? How was the crowd? What did you do in your downtime? (I hear the diving is pretty awesome).

Thanks!

Chris

• Members

Hey...I didn't reply to your other thread because I thought you wanted some Rara America songs to play at a BBQ or something. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't know of any that you haven't heard already. But this post makes me think you might be playing for the troops, and that's another story.

I have two songs to recommend for that. Both are by Kenni Thomas and Cornbread. In case you don't know him, Kenni was a Ranger in the battle of Mogadishu (better known as Black Hawk Down). He lost a couple of friends over there that day, and the songs he wrote about it are flat-out awesome. One's called Hero, and the other is called Crimson, White, and Indigo.

While I don't have the sheet music, and Kenni's gone all corporate snd stuff so I doubt you could get it in time, I can send you the MP3s' if you like.

• Members

I have two songs to recommend for that. Both are by Kenni Thomas and Cornbread. In case you don't know him, Kenni was a Ranger in the battle of Mogadishu (better known as Black Hawk Down). He lost a couple of friends over there that day, and the songs he wrote about it are flat-out awesome. One's called Hero, and the other is called Crimson, White, and Indigo.

This^^^^+1^^^^^

• Members

never played there... was there a couple of times to patrol the area during the Cuban and Hatian migrations of the early 90's..

1) Even back in the 90's it was a pretty cool base.

2) The snorkeling is amazing! Do try to do it.

3) The booze is CHEAP ... I don't know what your limitations will be. But if you can (chances are no), try to get a bottle. IIRC I could bring a bottle back with me every time I returned.

4) Don't drink to much beer there. The story is they put something in it to help it keep longer. The side effect is a NASTY ASS headache the next morning.

5) I do remember seeing some bigger named female country singer there on the 4th of July one trip. The stage set up looked pretty pro. Not sure how much of it was brought in by the band and how much was property of the US Navy.

Any ways, have a great time. Be careful of the banana rat's they will bite. The iguanas are pretty chill though. :)

• Members

Thanks for the input.

Aside from the early morning flight down, it looks like it will be a great trip.

We play 2-two hour shows in 3 days and will have lots of free time to enjoy the tropical vibe.

They have enough gear to have three bands playing simultaneously in separate venues, so I'm pretty sure we'll be fine there.

Really looking fwd to the trip and giving a little something back to the troops!

Archived