Selling T Shirts

bnelly428

• Members

I had an "idea"

I know Mstreck has the "pet me?" t shirts that have a cool slogan and people would genuinely buy. We have tshirts for my band (as you can see in the link in my sig) Basic with our band logo. We usually have small "contests" during a show and hand them out etc.

Would it be proper or would there be a good repsonse if we were to sell a few? We're a cover band so merch isnt really an income generator. Have other cover bands sold their tshirts when its just the band name etc.?

B

• Members

I had an "idea"

I know Mstreck has the "pet me?" t shirts that have a cool slogan and people would genuinely buy. We have tshirts for my band (as you can see in the link in my sig) Basic with our band logo. We usually have small "contests" during a show and hand them out etc.

Would it be proper or would there be a good repsonse if we were to sell a few? We're a cover band so merch isnt really an income generator. Have other cover bands sold their tshirts when its just the band name etc.?

B

We sell 4 or 5 a night with just the name and logo.

• Members

Its worth it to keep alot of inventory.

We are a cover band in my area and we sell T's in both ladies and mens,Tanks in both,Dew-Rags,Bandanas,sleeveless T's,Hoodies,womans underwear, all of it in black or pink. We will do custom printings of our logo too.

I started out with a 360.00 dollar investment for the fun of it and now in our area it's become a huge thing to have our logo on something.

That 360.00 has been returned to me and I have 1200.00 in the bank and that much in inventory.

One word of advice is to let someone you trust outside of your band handle the merch and money that comes in from it.

Oh our logo is my avatar.

It's worth it if you do it right,and you end up with free stuff to give away too.

• Members

TIP: girls like fitted shirts and spaghetti strap tanks (see pic above). Save the blocky t-shirts for the guys.

I want to add that one guy made his own t-shirt to wear to our last show. Our guys shirts say "pet this!!!" instead of "pet me?"- he added an arrow below it (pointing down).

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs095.snc4/36118_443217215271_84125810271_6408839_4137576_n.jpg

I have to say... these t-shirts are probably best thing we've ever done to help get out name out there. Soemone saw a girl wearing one two hours away at a car show last week. :thu:

• Members

Yes my band sells at least a few shirts at nearly every gig and some nights we sell 10 or more. The Band is called Hotbox and our best selling shirts says HOTBOX in big letters and underneath in much smaller letters it says (It's A Band). We only give away shirts to someone that is having a birthday party at the venue we are playing and we also often give them to the wait staff as long as they promise to wear them when we play.

Max

• Members

We have sold special There & Back Again shirts @ Cancer benefits to raise money but almost every show we have a contest and toss out FREE there and back again T shirts. (drunks LOVE free stuff) Our guitar player has a print shop and he prints women's Ts and guys Ts. We usually change the design every few months. Its great to see more and more people wearing our shirt around town, to our shows and when I look and pics from our band's shows I am starting to see our Ts pop up! :thu:

l_fe5b009a8310412cae220849bd021e6e.jpg

Our Cancer Telethon Tshirt seller committee.

l_b88f2aa6993b446a8c0ac941d16481cf.jpg

some girls wearing our Ts

l_0d684f452f894c40a8e55e1c8f16fd0f.jpg

another one

l_48f3e984cba94705938d325a41a49243.jpg

we get stickers like these bumper stcikers printed too once in awhile. and we toss out beads and whatever other stuff we find that week at the "dollar store" :thu:

Sorry can't find any pics right now of our women's Ts. we do want to start doing Tanks and other stuff too.

• Members

I've been considering doing some merch. I do the solo acoustic thing. Last year I paid to have a pretty cool logo designed. I've had friends ask about t-shirts, but it's a lot of $$$$ layout to start with.

I've also considered having some koozies printed as giveaways.

I'm going to start with having some magnets done in the next few weeks to give away and see what the response is.

To do t-shirts and koozies, I'd probably have to have my logo simplified a bit. It's full color and fairly intricate. Those shirts would cost a LOT to print.

• Members

We had our shirts printed up at Innerstate T-Shirt. Their site is down right now, but the link is www.innerstatetshirt.com. They have essentially no minimums, were cheap, and the quality was better than what we were expecting. Our logo has lots of very small dots in it, and even after several washings, none of them have started to fade. Plus, they can do other merch, too.

We sell much more merchandise when we've got someone standing there selling it for us. We also give $1 per item to the Red Cross, and accept donations, which helps attract attention and gets people buying for a good cause. (We also do a 100% charity raffle at several shows. We provide the raffle prizes, and just use it as a write-off.)

• Members

Charity stuff always helps with merch. I'm giving 10% to Guitars Not Guns this year.

I don't think it matters if it's a cover band or not. Sell some stuff! The general public doesn't really differentiate between bands like the rest of us do.

Definitely get the girl shirts. They buy more and they don't like regular t's.

Howie.. Take a look at your audience and see what kind of stuff they might like. Maybe it's not t-shirts. Maybe it's tote bags or something. Solo acoustic audiences have different tastes from band audiences.

If you can make a shirt that has a funny saying on it, people love that. Something from your show, of course. It may not have your face emblazoned on it, but it becomes a conversation piece for the person wearing it. Stick your URL under the saying.

A friend of mine does a lot of relationship songs. His shirts just say "Emotional Wreck". Then his small logo at the bottom. Sells like crazy.

Archived