Your Band's IMAGE. What works, what does'nt?

• Members

from what I understand we are going to start doing more blues on the texas deal . We did a blues set in our jam night last year and it went over really well. Who knows may be we will take that blues set starting line up and start doing full gigs. I know it goes over real well. I think places go through cycles. our winter demograhpics is into blues. We got lots of good blues players down there and a solid rhythm section to back them up.. so who knows what the future will bring.

I'd think if the blues goes over anywhere it would be in Texas and the midwest.

But out here in California virtually no one under 55 listens to the blues anymore.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But out here in California virtually no one under 55 listens to the blues anymore.

Our winter crowd is all over 55 ,, ,winter texans,, as in retired people from up north. We dont play kiddy gigs ,, these people are all older ,, serious live music fans ,, all eatin and drinkin ,, very little dancing. we have alot of californa transplants. They sold out when the getting was good ,, took their big profits on the house and moved to south texas :thu:

• Members

We seem to be getting more calls for blues too.

But I could see where that might not work out in Cali: like you said, TOP is still big out there.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone here that's even HEARD of that band....:facepalm:

• Members

from what I understand we are going to start doing more blues on the texas deal . We did a blues set in our jam night last year and it went over really well. Who knows may be we will take that blues set starting line up and start doing full gigs. I know it goes over real well. I think places go through cycles. our winter demograhpics is into blues. We got lots of good blues players down there and a solid rhythm section to back them up.. so who knows what the future will bring.

I think sets dedicated to a specific genre are a good idea, especially if you're prepared to focus on the one that consistently goes over best.

• Members

I think sets dedicated to a specific genre are a good idea, especially if you're prepared to focus on the one that consistently goes over best.

Absolutely.

We tend to do all our blues numbers in bunches: I guess you could call it a "blues set".

We just added another SRV, Thorogood, and ZZ Top to the list....I'll be doing the lead vox on the ZZ lol.

Helps to keep things interesting.

• Members

TOP is still big out there.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone here that's even HEARD of that band....
:facepalm:

Well, they're a local band basically. Based out of Oakland and have been playing regularly around Northern Cal for 40 years. I'm sure they must do some, but I really don't know HOW much they gig outside the area.

(note: just went their website. All West Coast and East Coast gigs and a bunch of stuff in Europe. Nothing at all in the midwest through the end of October.)

• Members

Well, they're a local band basically. Based out of Oakland and have been playing regularly around Northern Cal for 40 years. I'm sure they must do some, but I really don't know HOW much they gig outside the area.

(note: just went their website. All West Coast and East Coast gigs and a bunch of stuff in Europe. Nothing at all in the midwest through the end of October.)

Rocco Prestia is the most under-rated bassist of all time.

Anyone that cites Jaco as an influence must by definition list Rocco: you can hear his influence all over Jaco's grooves.

Of course his technique is pretty much retarded: kinda like Jamerson - taking an inadequate physical approach and just making it sing, thereby insuring that no one else can ever properly emulate your sound.

• Members

Rocco Prestia is the most under-rated bassist of all time.

Anyone that cites Jaco as an influence must by definition list Rocco: you can hear his influence all over Jaco's grooves.

Of course his technique is pretty much retarded: kinda like Jamerson - taking an inadequate physical approach and just making it sing, thereby insuring that no one else can ever properly emulate your sound.

Yep. Almost lost him there a couple of years ago. Guy was dead broke and begging fans for money for a liver transplant. But he's a legend, no doubt. Jaco certainly cited him as an influence and he's definately up there with a small handful of most influence bassists of all time.

• Members

Yep. Almost lost him there a couple of years ago. Guy was dead broke and begging fans for money for a liver transplant. But he's a legend, no doubt. Jaco certainly cited him as an influence and he's definately up there with a small handful of most influence bassists of all time.

You know about his playing style, right?

How he basically never uses more than 2 fingers on his fretting hand, nor spans more than 2 frets in any position?

He shifts his fretting hand up and down the neck like a maniac. I've never seen anything like it. :eek:

But that gets him that real controlled, semi-muted note envelope that is all Rocco. NOBODY else gets that sound. Flea tries. Jaco came the closest, but it was hidden under his mwah and note choices - lots of triplets in Jaco's stuff that you don't hear from Rocco, but still Jaco GOT the left hand muting and applied it flawlessly to even the fastest of lines.....(That to me is where all the clones fall short: his note envelope and consistent, musical left hand muting)

But that whole 16th note fast pulse just originated from Rocco - mindblowing stuff.

• Members

I feel many bands today don't think too much about their image. It is very, very important. You need to carefully plan what you image is, are you a happy go luck band, dark a secretive, sexy etc. Everything should reflect this image including how you dress what your stage looks like, your songs and certainly all of your band mates.

You need to all be in sync with the image or it just does not work.

• Members

You know about his playing style, right?

How he basically never uses more than 2 fingers on his fretting hand, nor spans more than 2 frets in any position?

Oh yeah. I've seen them play dozens of times. Rocco is a one-of-a-kind monster and a huge influence on all sorts of players that followed him. His name isn't known outside of other bass players, really, but he gets mentioned as a major influence by all sorts of players. In that regard, his fame and influence far exceed anyone else in TOP or the band as a whole, I would think.

Although Garibaldi is no slouch either.

• Members

lol I can't believe this has gotten this big and blown up.

I remember the last time we debated this - someone chimed in at the end and said this:

People LISTEN to music, but they go out to SEE a band.

"costume" is part of performance, and people come to see you perform.

OTOH,

for some truthiness and humor, maybe this will put it in perspective:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154495

• Members

This thread reminds of a scene in the movie, Singles, where Campbell Scott's character goes up to Kyra Sedgewick's "Linda", and begins to tell her that he thought about using an act to come over and hit on her, but decided not to have an act and just talk to her. Her reply was:

"I think that, a) you have an act, and that, b) not having an act is your act..."

jamieb

+++++

• Members

My band wanted me to join in some sort of vauge uniform. I don't get how it sounds better or worse if the band is in jeans or tuxes or tu-tu's. I don't care if its 1 of each. I've never left a concert saying "wow that band would have been so much better if they were dressed better" . I just watched a cover band contest. It made sense that the zep tribute looked like zep but the rest could do whatever they wanted. I noticed the singer big butt not her dress. The guys in suits looked overdressed and uncomfortable. I guess if its a wedding you dont play dressed like cobain. But what if you play mostly grunge? I play mostly rock. Rock mostly doesn't have a uniform. Maybe the singer wants to wear a tux and I'll wear shorts and a bowler hat. I would like to think something in my performance is unpredictable and I guess the clothes should be too. Or not. What does any of this have to do with music or show quality.

• Members

Some guys rock a suit.

Some guys rock jeans.

Whatever you wear you might as well be comfortable about it.

Screw it man - find a rule and break it....might as well put some effort into it one way or the other I guess.

{censored} - slacking is so "in" these days that you could get away with that look. Go all out and bring a la-z-boy up on the stage too. That'd be a hoot....

• Members

My band wanted me to join in some sort of vauge uniform. I don't get how it sounds better or worse if the band is in jeans or tuxes or tu-tu's. I don't care if its 1 of each. I've never left a concert saying "wow that band would have been so much better if they were dressed better" . I just watched a cover band contest. It made sense that the zep tribute looked like zep but the rest could do whatever they wanted. I noticed the singer big butt not her dress. The guys in suits looked overdressed and uncomfortable. I guess if its a wedding you dont play dressed like cobain. But what if you play mostly grunge? I play mostly rock. Rock mostly doesn't have a uniform. Maybe the singer wants to wear a tux and I'll wear shorts and a bowler hat. I would like to think something in my performance is unpredictable and I guess the clothes should be too. Or not. What does any of this have to do with music or show quality.

You just gave a half-dozen reasons about what it has to do with show quality. If the girl singer had a better dress you might have spend more time listening to her sing and not noticing her big butt; had the guys in suits dressed in more appropriate clothing you might have spent more time listening to their music and not noticing that they looked overdressed and uncomfortable.

It's not supposed to BE about anybody saying "That band would have been better had they dressed better"--it's about everything working in synch to achieve a desired result. I don't think I've ever left a show saying "that band would have been better had they had a light show", but almost every band that DOES use some sort of light show is going to get a better overall response from the audience.

Unless you're KISS or the New York Dolls, band attire is much more about the subtlety of it. If the crowd is focused on what you're wearing than it's probably too much (again, unless that's your desired effect).

Done right and it's an enhancement. Done wrong and it's a distraction. Not done at all and it's a missed opportunity to make your stage show the best it can be.

• Members

Yeah, to expand on what guido said-

you don't leave a concert saying "they should have added a light show", you just leave feeling like it wasn't that great. The flip side of that coin is you can leave feeling like it was the best F'ng show you ever been to, not realizing that a guy maybe spent $1000 bucks 20 hours programming intricate lighting for every song.

By some reasoning here, it would seem that a chef should just make good food, and who cares if it LOOKS like slop-

So why do 5-star chefs worry so much about presentation?

Cause it matters.

Archived