"Pointless" second guitarists

Tubefox

• Members

How do you guys feel about bands that have a second guitarist who plays EXACTLY what the other guitarist is playing?

Are they worth having, just to keep the riff going during a solo, or for songwriting input, or just extra stage presence? Or are they a waste of space?

This question comes to me most often when seeing some of the "new" punk bands.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see that alot.. It's one of thr reason i work as a trio right now... I'd like to have a second guitar player but it would have to be someone at my level or better.. Maybe different but just having a rhythym guitar player to me is kinda meh.

I'd love to do some ripping dual lead stuff and have someone who can really groove to play off of.. switch back and forth kind of thing.. Its hard to find

• Members

If they are playing the exact same thing all the time then I usually do not see the point but if they are keeping the rhythm going during solos and lead work then there is a valid point for it IF the music calls for it.

Then again, the band I am in (original music) has 3 guitarists. Sometimes we are all doing the same thing. Other times not. Depends on what the song calls for.

• Members

How do you guys feel about bands that have a second guitarist who plays EXACTLY what the other guitarist is playing?

Are they worth having, just to keep the riff going during a solo, or for songwriting input, or just extra stage presence? Or are they a waste of space?

Humongous pet peeve of mine. In cover bands, its a sure sign of laziness, especially in a standard 5-piece (2 guit, drums, bass, singer). It is rare that there is only 1 guitar and no keys in a song. Having two guitars provides the ability to really fill out the sound. Having both guitars play the same thing is a giant wasted opportunity in my book.

• Members

Maybe different but just having a rhythym guitar player to me is kinda meh.

Listen to GnRs first album. IMO Izzy was the most important member of the sound of that band. A good rhythm guitarist is hard to find, but if you find one, they are gold.

• Members

If both guitarists are playing EXACTLY the same thing, then I'd say the "pointless" one is your lead guitarist.

A rhythm guitar player's job is keeping the rhythm. If your lead guitarist is strumming out chords through the whole song except for the solo, then maybe it's time to get rid of him!

• Members

I don't think I have ever once seen a band with a second guitarist playing
exactly
the same parts as another throughout a whole show.

:idk:

I have. It's mostly been young punk or punk-pop bands. It's pretty painful. :lol:

I mean, play a different chord inversion sometimes, at least. :facepalm:

• Members

Listen to GnRs first album. IMO Izzy was the most important member of the sound of that band. A good rhythm guitarist is hard to find, but if you find one, they are gold.

One of Slash's complaints about Buckcherry's Keith Nelson before Velvet Revolver's first record, "He just played everything I played."

• Members

I think (I don't feel anything about it!) that the said band in question needs to work on their arranging, and the two guitar players need to sit down together and work out some parts apart from regular rehearsal.

• Members

I probably qualify as one of those "pointless" guys. We're a cover bad and we try to pick songs that utilize two guitarists. Now, not every song is going to *need* a second guitarist, so we try to split things into different octaves/voicings if we need to play the same chord/riffs. Sometimes for a riff one of us will play the root and one will play the 5th - instant power chord format!

There are also times that two guitars ripping through the exact same riff in unison absolutely kicks ass! :thu:

• Members

There are also times that two guitars ripping through the exact same riff in unison absolutely kicks ass!
:thu:

^^Yes!

My cover band has two guitars and our two unique tones and styles lay very well over each other and when one of us stops, the absence is felt.

It's a magical mix that I admit has rarely graced my presence in the past. I take it for what it is. :thu:

• Members

^^Yes!

My cover band has two guitars and our two unique tones and styles lay very well over each other and when one of us stops, the absence is felt.

It's a magical mix that I admit has rarely graced my presence in the past. I take it for what it is.

Brad Whitford is probably the most under-rated rhythm guitarist in history, and one of my biggest influences on that instrument.

Nobody notices what he does, but if he were to stop: you'd notice.

• Members

We are not talking about Brad Whitford.. He is most definitely NOT Pointless

You're one of the few that realizes this.

Most would be hard pressed to know exactly what it is he does in that band - Perry gets all the attention from his leads.

• Members

There are also times that two guitars ripping through the exact same riff in unison absolutely kicks ass!

Yeah for emphasis occasionally, I agree, but if I were in a band where the two guitarists were playing the same thing for 35% of the time or more, I'd strongly question the need for guitarist #2. I mean, unless you're in a Judas Priest tribute band or something.

• Members

If both guitarists are playing EXACTLY the same thing, then I'd say the "pointless" one is your lead guitarist.

A rhythm guitar player's job is keeping the rhythm. If your lead guitarist is strumming out chords through the whole song except for the solo, then maybe it's time to get rid of him!

Sorry, I meant "second guitarist" as in "guitarist that makes the number of guitarists more than one" rather than "rhythm guitarist."

If both members are playing EXACTLY the same parts 90% of the time, I'm not sure either of them can really be called the lead guitarist.

• Members

Yeah for emphasis occasionally, I agree, but if I were in a band where the two guitarists were playing the same thing for 35% of the time or more, I'd strongly question the need for guitarist #2. I mean, unless you're in a Judas Priest tribute band or something.

Bad analogy.

KK and Glenn never played the same parts - those guys meshed like gears on a clock.

In fact, I can't think of a WORSE analogy than that one. FAIL - sorry, bro, but FAIL. :lol:

• Members

Bad analogy.

KK and Glenn never played the same parts - those guys meshed like gears on a clock.

In fact, I can't think of a WORSE analogy than that one. FAIL - sorry, bro, but FAIL.
:lol:

[YOUTUBE]8K7CNzFhnCE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GyxLGSMtqtM[/YOUTUBE]

Sure sounds like they play the identical part to me. Just the first two songs I could pull up. But I've played probably 10 of their tunes and about as "off" each other they go is an octave up from one another. I could cover any priest tune by myself easily. Just saying.

EDIT - the quintessential example

[YOUTUBE]W48H8iMPFEM[/YOUTUBE]

Archived