Most Ridiculous Ambition Thread

Tubefox

• Members

I havnt run into people with ambition problems as much as I have run into people who are forming start ups that just were not able to see their short fallings and be willing to do anthing about it. Its either too loud problems or lack of singer problems. Typically the volume problems never let them get tight enough to attract a good vocals. Lack of the ability to just settle down and learn songs seemed to be a problem as well. No big deal ,, you just load out and continue the search. Never had this problem in teen bands ,, those were always a tight focus on the task at hand.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At my last show I was talking to the bass player for the band that organized the show. Young guy (early to mid 20s). He was telling me how he wants to start getting local shows that bring in $200 - $300 for each band on the bill.

For my area a show will have usually have 3 bands. Original bands just do not draw well (for a whole list of reasons). The only venues for originals here are dive bars. Those bars only pay $150 - $200 for ALL the bands. If you charge a door they will subtract $50 from what they pay to cover for the guy they hire to do the door.

So this could only happen if you have a cover charge and would need to make $500 - $800 at the door. At $4 a pop (the normal cover) you need 125 to 200 people show (not counting what the door guy might skim and people let in for free). It just does not happen.

I did not have the heart to spell it out for him so I just said "That would be cool."

This is ambition not delusion. This is exactly what I'm currently pulling with my band and it "does not happen" around here either, according to many. It's taken me two years of busting my ass but it's not delusional.

My money's on the kid thats goal is to pull 125 to 200 people, not the people that tell him he can't.

• Members

I have been working on a formula to apply to the outer part of the hand. It would add any number of digits to your hand, just reapply. It would allow me to play at least equal to John Petrucci and Yngwie. Who said you can't have 20 fingers?!?!

• Members

However, I suppose I can't really talk, since I'm hoping to one day be able to list "guitar god" in my resume, and am hoping to go to Berklee. However, I do think Berklee is a significantly less insane goal than Julliard.

Spend some time at The Lesson Loft forum. There's a lot of Berklee grads there. John Finn even posts semi regularly and he's a professor there. Talk to them and they'll tell you exactly where you need to be to get in.

• Members

This is ambission not delusion. This is exactly what I'm currently pulling with my band and it "does not happen" around here either, according to many. It's taken me two years of busting my ass but it's not delusional.

My money's on the kid that's goal is to pull 125 to 200 people, not the people that tell him he can't.

Yes, it's possible. See, that's my definition of an ambition, not delusion.

I've been around here playing in various bands for 18 years and doing my own for 5 years. I've worked hard to promote, to make decent sounding CDs and put out a decent product live. I did a concert last night from 6-8:30 in a park 10 miles north of here and drew over 300 on a Wednesday night. My band isn't super fabulous, I'm a fair to middling singer, but I work hard at it. And if I can draw 300 on a Wednesday evening, I have every reason to believe some kid with a dream can draw 200+ with three bands if he's willing to put in the work.

• Members

And if I can draw 300 on a Wednesday evening, I have every reason to believe some kid with a dream can draw 200+ with three bands if he's willing to put in the work.

The venues for original bands top capacity at anywhere between 100-150 people. There is no where locally that books original music (except national acts) that could hold 300 people.

This area is a weird vortex still dreaming of the days of Kyuss when it comes to original music. Cover bands can do decent at any of the many resorts or more party orientated bars. The only time I have seen draws bigger than 100 for original music is when some former member of Kyuss or any other stoner rock band from that era is playing. The last draw I saw of over 100 people was when Brant Bjork played. A few have come close since then but again there was some big name or local legend in the main act. As soon as that act is over, poof, crowd gone.

I definitely wish things were different here for original music but it is not. To draw good crowds, an original band here must work on promoting and establishing crowds in other areas.

• Members

Sorry but knowing my area .

I opened for those Kyuss guys years and years ago in New Orleans. Damn dirty desert rats whiped the floor with us! HA!

I know your area a little. Yea, best for that kid to leave town if music's his goal. He wouldn't be the first to make that leap though.

He should be able to sort that out on his own soon enough.

• Members

"Hey, everybody, I could be an astronaut and an ice road trucker!":wave:

When I was in college, my roomie's uber rich dad gave me some interview advice:

"No matter what they ask you, tell them you can do it. If they ask you if you can build a bridge, tell them yes. Just don't tell them you don't know how yet."

:facepalm::lol:

• Moderators

It is entirely within the realm of possibility to get into Julliard. Even starting right now with no reading experience. All it takes is hard work and dedication.

However, by and large, hard work and dedication are in short supply, so it is unlikely.

• Members

I responded to a Craiglist ad that stated "Band with gigs looking for guitarist".... only it was a band looking for a guitarist, drummer, and bassist.

.... Until last week I saw an ad.... "Band with Gigs looking for Bassist". And so it continues...

Wow, I think I may have experience with the same guy. He looked like Weird Al Yanchovick, shredded on some 80s Kramer like Yngvei and even had the same line about being set for life with one song. His wife was some sort of promoter for bands and had a few accounts, they were all about as far from this guy as possible; young, talented, good looking and most importantly, in bands that were actually gigging.

I could swear that the few times I went there for "practice" she always had this really sympathetic look on her face, like "Yea hes pathetic isn't he, but I love him!"

:facepalm:

• Members

My ambition is to fill all the spots in my band with people who are reliable, reasonably talented, and collectively working toward a common goal without fighting, playng crazy head games, passive-agressively manipulating, power-playing, or quitting.

Sadly, I have become convinced that this is actually a delusion.

• Members

Spend some time at The Lesson Loft forum. There's a lot of Berklee grads there. John Finn even posts semi regularly and he's a professor there. Talk to them and they'll tell you exactly where you need to be to get in.

I took lessons from a Berklee graduate, who told me I could "almost definitely" get in.

EDIT: I'm sorry, that sounds a bit like bragging. However, I have to say, being told I could almost definitely get into one of the best music schools in the country is something I'm willing to brag about.

I'm familiar with the requirements, I hope to audition within the year. Right now all I really need to work on is sightreading and selecting my audition song. Fortunately I graduated from high school a year early, and therefore don't have to deal with much life crap between now and then.

I could swear that the few times I went there for "practice" she always had this really sympathetic look on her face, like "Yea hes pathetic isn't he, but I love him!"

:facepalm:

I have to say, I hate to see someone with a girlfriend who shoots them down all the time, but the results of the overly supportive girlfriend can be a good deal uglier.

• Members

I know a drummer here that got into Juliard this past year. He was 17 and playing gigs with one of the better known pros here in a jazz, blues, jazzy rock group. He is the son of a music teacher and pro musician.

Oddly enough, I had a friend whose father turned down an Opera scholarship to Julliard :eek: because he wanted to make a better living for his family. He and his wife basically 'came over on the boat' and accomplished the American dream, just not with music. :lol:

• Members

Oddly enough, I had a friend whose
father
turned down an Opera scholarship to Julliard
:eek:
because he wanted to make a better living for his family.

Wow. I mean, maybe I have severely overestimated the amount skilled opera singers are paid, but I'd think that the sort of singer who gets a scholarship to Julliard is the sort that could make a pretty good living for his family.

• Members

Wow. I mean, maybe I have severely overestimated the amount skilled opera singers are paid, but I'd think that the sort of singer who gets a scholarship to Julliard is the sort that could make a pretty good living for his family.

My sister lived in NYC and studied opera for 2 years. It's like anything else. A few make good money, the rest don't.

• Members

I was pretty shocked when I heard the story.

I'm not sure what an opera singer would make. He was making 6 figures as a CEO when I met him. I'm guessing it was probably more. :idk:

• Members

I'm convinced that most musicians are completely delusional. Ambition is good but ambition turns into delusion if you don't put in the work and don't have the the talent for it.

My ambition is to be a part of the best band that ever lived. Not realistic, but I feel I have the talent for it and just need to be in the right situation and surrounded by the right musicians (ie someone that can actually sing). I just don't want to look back 20 years from now think of what could have been but I'm fine with looking back 20 years from now and thinking "I tried my hardest and it never happened". It's not for the fame or the money, if nothing happens I'll still be playing my guitar when I get home from work big dreams or not.

• Members

I think most music school grads end up making most of their annual income doing the same thing (it's just a matter of what level) - teaching.

• Members

I had the misfortune of being involved with a delusional musician, years ago. It just makes me shake my head to even think about the time I wasted on this dip{censored}, because I believed he had the talent to go somewhere. Unfortunately, he had {censored} for brains, and any attempt I made at giving him pointers fell on deaf ears.

What a {censored}ing nightmare...I could write a book on that dude.

• Members

I take lessons from a guy who went to Berklee. I've also played in bands with several people who went to classical oriented music schools a notch below Julliard. All of those people are either working outside of music now or teaching. None of them makes significant money from gigging or recording. Especially for the people who want to do classical music, there's only a handful of job openings each year at their instrument across the country. One guy I played with was trying to get started as a concert timpanist. He had a master's degree in it, but there's only like 6 openings a year, so he had a real hard time of it. Last I heard, he was teaching high school drum line.

From what I've heard Berklee isn't super hard to get into. It takes a basic level of skill + the willingness to pay the tuition. The second part is really the bigger hurdle.

• Members

I was in a band with a bass player who was in his early 50's. The rest of us were in our late 20's early 30's and we were going to try to put together an original/cover band. The plan was to do covers that was in the same style of the originals that we wanted to do. We figured the best way to go was to get enough covers around for a full nights worth of music and work on originals at the same time and insert them in with the covers. Then as we wrote more songs we would gradually replace the covers with our own. So we picked the covers and had them pretty much rehearsed and we also wrote about 3 or 4 originals that were good enough to play out with. After about a month of rehearsal we started talking about booking some gigs. We figured that we should team up with some well known bands in the area and build our following. The bass player didn't agree. He wanted to book a venue in town and make it private and sell tickets. We tried to explain to him that we were unknown and that we probably wouldn't be able to sell any tickets and that our best bet would be to latch on with another band for right now. He kept saying, "if we play with another band then it's not all about us." After a few meetings we finally got him to go along with this, but he really wasn't happy about it. We played a few gigs around town and started to get a pretty decent following of people who were into our originals. We did a myspace site and had some demos recorded of our originals. The only problem is that he didn't want us to put the demos up. He kept saying "we're rockstars and we should be paid for our music." Finally after clashing with him way too many times we had a meeting and when he saw the writing on the wall that we were going to be parting ways with him he says, "I came up with the band name and I'm keeping it because there's going to be a clothing line as well as fragrances." We all just sort of looked at each other and said, "whatever." Last year they did a music section in our news paper and he had a section in there about himself about how much of a success he is. So yeah, I'd say the guy was delusional to say the least.

• Members

I just saw the movie "Bigger, Stronger, Faster". The older brother reminded me of a delusional musician. If you see the movie you will know what I am talking about. I actually think the movie could apply to musicians just as much as athletes....... It's a side effect of being American.

• Members

I just saw the movie "Bigger, Stronger, Faster". The older brother reminded me of a delusional musician. If you see the movie you will know what I am talking about. I actually think the movie could apply to musicians just as much as athletes.......
It's a side effect of being American

:lol: Now that, is funny--although it does make me want to cry.

Archived