Most Ridiculous Ambition Thread

Tubefox

• Members

Not merely "produce music that is incredibly popular," which I believe is the goal of most bands. This thread is to share the ambitions of bands or musicians you know that are just totally, utterly, beyond absurd.

I'll start. I know a drummer. He's a very good drummer, keeps time well, can play an awesome fill if he needs to, you know, the things that make a good drummer.

However, he thinks he could go to Julliard for percussion. Not "music school," Julliard. He can't read the percussion clef. His only experience drumming outside of the context of rock was a stint in concert and jazz band when he was in 7th grade. Also, this isn't something where he would like to go to Julliard, but accepts that he probably can't, or anything like that. He claims that he is almost certain he could get in.

However, I suppose I can't really talk, since I'm hoping to one day be able to list "guitar god" in my resume, and am hoping to go to Berklee. However, I do think Berklee is a significantly less insane goal than Julliard.

So, post the ridiculous goals of you and those around you.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Your friend sounds delusional, not ambitious. If it were ambition, he'd be learning to read and studying under a percussion teacher who could teach him enough to pass the entrance audition. Ambition is working toward a goal. Delusion is being certain you could do something difficult without working toward it.

My only ambition anymore is to have fun at the gigs I play and make at least respectable money doing it. That's it.

• Members

Call reality the enemy of dreaming, I dunno. I get told I'm ridiculous for thinking one day I might be able to make a living with music as a career..

As far as Juliard or Berklee, seems there's a distinct breakdown of those who go:

49% want to teach music at a high level college or private school

49% want to be able to brag and be smug about their education at said places

2% actually go there to learn everything they can about embracing music

...and

50% of that 2% drop out before finishing one year when they realize the school is 98% smug.

• Members

Your friend sounds delusional, not ambitious. If it were ambition, he'd be learning to read and studying under a percussion teacher who could teach him enough to pass the entrance audition. Ambition is working toward a goal. Delusion is being certain you could do something difficult without working toward it.

Both of us are recent high school graduates, a group of people noted for having "dreams" that sound like utter delusions to anyone over the age of twenty.

• Members

Both of us are recent high school graduates, a group of people noted for having "dreams" that sound like utter delusions to anyone over the age of twenty.

Age has nothing to do with knowing that saying you could get into Julliard without being able to read music isn't dreaming; it's completely moronic.

And not to knock your friends skills but he better be able to do a whole hell of a lot more than just keep good time and be able to play a killer fill if he's aiming to impress the admissions folks at Julliard; I probably have 20 close friends who can do that in their sleep.

• Members

At my last show I was talking to the bass player for the band that organized the show. Young guy (early to mid 20s). He was telling me how he wants to start getting local shows that bring in $200 - $300 for each band on the bill.

For my area a show will have usually have 3 bands. Original bands just do not draw well (for a whole list of reasons). The only venues for originals here are dive bars. Those bars only pay $150 - $200 for ALL the bands. If you charge a door they will subtract $50 from what they pay to cover for the guy they hire to do the door.

So this could only happen if you have a cover charge and would need to make $500 - $800 at the door. At $4 a pop (the normal cover) you need 125 to 200 people show (not counting what the door guy might skim and people let in for free). It just does not happen.

I did not have the heart to spell it out for him so I just said "That would be cool."

• Members

I play rhythm guitar in our band.

My ambition: to be THAT guy:

1) The guy who always shows up prepared to rehearsal or a gig.

2) The guy who always plays in the pocket.

3) The guy who always plays for the song, rather than for his ego.

If I can achieve those things, then I am happer camper.

• Members

My own ridiculous ambition is not to fumble any of my own lyrics at our show on Friday. It is, indeed, a rather ridiculous ambition.

My ridiculous ambition is to have sexytime with Alyson Hannigan.

• Members

My ambition is to replace Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page and fill in for George Benson whenever his isn't feeling well or has some crisis on his hands. I am 100% certain that I should be able to do all three of these. I know it will take some time but it should be possible by at least next Friday. I know you all think I'm delusional but I'm not; I'm not!; I'm not, I tell you! Hey, get away from me with that white jacket! Can't you see the buttons are all in the back!:)

• Members

Well, he said he was good enough to get into Julliard. Is he or is he not working hard to make that a reality? If he is, great. If not, he's delusional. Delusion doesn't have an age limit. Simply pronouncing yourself good enough to do something without working at it is just silly.

"Hey, everybody, I could be an astronaut and an ice road trucker!":wave:

• Members

Well, he said he was good enough to get into Julliard. Is he or is he not working hard to make that a reality? If he is, great. If not, he's delusional. Delusion doesn't have an age limit. Simply pronouncing yourself good enough to do something without working at it is just silly.

He's not working hard towards it. It doesn't even appear to be a goal of his, he just likes to comment he thinks he could.

However, he also once looked at a gap that was about thirty feet wide, with only ten feet of drop from the jumping edge to the landing, and confidently said he could jump it.

I can't tell if it's some sort of self-esteem thing for him, delusion, or if he can keep a straight face better than anyone in the world.

I think it's one of the first two.

• Members

I still don't understand the Ice Road Truckers thing. I understand that the trucks are, short term, cheaper than airlifting the goods, but in the long term, I can't imagine that you wouldn't come out ahead.

Then again, I don't like Discovery Channel's current trend towards "reality tv" at all, so I may be biased.

• Members

I still don't understand the Ice Road Truckers thing. I understand that the trucks are, short term, cheaper than airlifting the goods, but in the long term, I can't imagine that you wouldn't come out ahead.

Then again, I don't like Discovery Channel's current trend towards "reality tv" at
all
, so I may be biased.

Well, some of the stuff they haul, like drilling rig pieces and whatnot, would be nearly impossible if not stupid expensive to fly in. Plus, trucks don't depend on clear weather the way aircraft do. But yeah, there isn't enough money in the world for me to do it.

The reason I mentioned it is because a few years ago I worked with a guy who used to claim he dated supermodels (he didn't- he didn't even know any) and one day said that he was bummed because the only reason he couldn't go be an ice road trucker is because of his diabetes. We thought he was kidding, but he was dead serious. This from a guy who never ever even sat in the passenger seat, let alone behind the wheel, of a big rig on any road whatsoever, ice or otherwise. He was also an amateur rock climber who said he was going to climb K-2. Oooo-kay....

• Members

Well, some of the stuff they haul, like drilling rig pieces and whatnot, would be nearly impossible if not stupid expensive to fly in. Plus, trucks don't depend on clear weather the way aircraft do. But yeah, there isn't enough money in the world for me to do it.

The reason I mentioned it is because a few years ago I worked with a guy who used to claim he dated supermodels (he didn't- he didn't even know any) and one day said that he was bummed because the only reason he couldn't go be an ice road trucker is because of his diabetes. We thought he was kidding, but he was dead serious. This from a guy who never ever even sat in the passenger seat, let alone behind the wheel, of a big rig on any road whatsoever, ice or otherwise. He was also an amateur rock climber who said he was going to climb K-2. Oooo-kay....

I just figure they could airlift most of it (you can airlift an Abrams, I think you could airlift pieces of a drill rig) and then fail over to trucks if you need to do so. Just seems weird to me is all, but what do I know, I'm just some dude posting on HC at 12:40am. :cool:

• Members

I responded to a Craiglist ad that stated "Band with gigs looking for guitarist".... only it was a band looking for a guitarist, drummer, and bassist.

Only it wasn't a band... it was one guy at his house. Only it probably wasn't his house since his wife was the only one who worked.

And he didn't have gigs.... it was a booking agent he had talked to who told him he was a sure thing. Only he hadn't talked to them... he messaged them ony myspace.

I played with him twice... only we didn't really play. He would talk for 30 minutes about all the great things he accomplished and would accomplish in the future.

He really liked to talk... he would talk before we played a song and say stuff like "this is a song that means a lot to me. It really puts everything in perspective about what is important in life and where we should go from here. This song is called 'Keep Your Hands to Yourself'." He would talk after a song saying stuff like "thank you! Thank you! We love you all! It means so much to me to see you out here tonight". He was 100% serious, too.... I think he thought Spinal Tap was a real band.

One time he talked about how it only took one song to be set for life... only the guy was in his mid 40s, didn't work, didn't have to get up in the morning. I thought he was set for life?

After playing with him twice, I e-mailed him to say I was no longer interested and I wish him the best of luck. He replied to my e-mail.... about 10 times. Remember, I only played with him twice and each time he had a different "band" at his house. One time he said he was going to get this drummer who gigs with a local band that plays 6-7 times a month... I asked why would the guy leave a sure thing for a start up project? You would have think I insulted his wife.

He eventually did play out... He posted an ad on craigslist saying he would play for free. One bar responded. A 2 month long craigslist war started and that was the end of him....

.... Until last week I saw an ad.... "Band with Gigs looking for Bassist". And so it continues...

• Members

In spite of being a "dream big" person, I vote "delusional" as well.

Juilliard is a cream-of-the-crop school where the vast majority of students have been reading & thinking music like it is their native language since before they had pubes.

He wouldn't be the first person to talk big & then sit on his ass waiting for the Juilliard fairy to sprinkle musical-genius dust on him.

Personally, my ambition is to work my knowledge of chord theory up to the level that when my voice starts failing in another decade or two, I can get a nice jazz box and a micro-cube and be the old man doing fingerstyle pop-jazz at all the nice lounges in town. :cool:

Now, where's that damn Juilliard fairy?

• Members

I responded to a Craiglist ad that stated "Band with gigs looking for guitarist".... only it was a band looking for a guitarist, drummer, and bassist.

Only it wasn't a band... it was one guy at his house. Only it probably wasn't his house since his wife was the only one who worked.

And he didn't have gigs.... it was a booking agent he had talked to who told him he was a sure thing. Only he hadn't talked to them... he messaged them ony myspace.

wow I jammed with a guy like this back in the early 90s. I responded to an ad that said something like rock band looking for a drummer. I showed up and it was just a guy and his bass in his girlfriend's basement. When I asked where the rest of the band is he said "we" have to find them. :facepalm:

BTW I can read music and used to teach at a music store but I KNOW the people at pretty much any music school would hand me my ass. :lol:

• Members

wow I jammed with a guy like this back in the early 90s. I responded to an ad that said something like rock band looking for a drummer. I showed up and it was just a guy and his bass in his girlfriend's basement. When I asked where the rest of the band is he said "we" have to find them.
:facepalm:

He told me he had them though, they just couldn't make it. But, like I said the drummer was a guy from one of the bands in the area who gigged pretty frequently. The guy I met was not a horrible singer, but he wasn't good enough for the guy to leave his current situation.

He was just dellusional.

• Members

He told me he had them though, they just couldn't make it. But, like I said the drummer was a guy from one of the bands in the area who gigged pretty frequently. The guy I met was not a horrible singer, but he wasn't good enough for the guy to leave his current situation.

He was just dellusional.

I worked with many delusional muscians. a singer once auditioned for the original metal band I was in without singing a note. He came to our practice space, listened to us play some orignials and covers (without vocals) and then asked if we wanted to start riots with his lyrics... without showing us them. When asked to sing the covers we gave him for the audition he said no, I'll just listen to you guys.

• Members

Most of my auditions have involved drummers. And I've run across many delusional ones over the years. Mostly simply because they thought they could play when they absolutely could not.

A couple of years back this guy shows up for an audition--around 40, fairly nice kit, brings his girlfriend, drops a couple of names about bands he's played with, talks about how many years he's been playing, etc. Sets up his kit and starts playing and literally can not even keep a simple beat.

It's one thing to be a guy who thinks your better than you are. But to be so clueless that you can't even realize you have ZERO ability to play music? And you make it to FORTY without anyone telling you? I'm looking at his girlfriend for something but it's clear she's as clueless as he is.

I'm sure he went home and told everyone we weren't good enough for him anyway.

• Members

wow I jammed with a guy like this back in the early 90s. I responded to an ad that said something like rock band looking for a drummer. I showed up and it was just a guy and his bass in his girlfriend's basement. When I asked where the rest of the band is he said "we" have to find them.
:facepalm:

I've lost count how many times I've shown up to a "band" audition based on an ad, only to find the band was one guy who was usually at a skill level of 1 year (regardless of how long he's actually played) and no other bandmates. so .. many .. :facepalm: 's

Probably one of the reasons I'm such an asshole to deal with when placing or responding to ads today...

Archived