My Splawn quickrod, my band , guns n roses and a live clip ;)

• Members
These guys are so damn good they make Van Halen look like a tribute band.
:thu:

Yep. This video on their website kicks ass:

http://www.theatomicpunks.com/video/runnin_with_mikey_superhigh.wvx

They didn't end up playing for a packed room at the House of Blues with Michael Anthony sitting in because the Dave and Eddie guys didn't want to dress the part or do their hair.

• Members

Here's the Catch-22 with tribute bands and costumes:

The smaller the gig, the cheezier the costumes look. If you're playing a small club for 20 people, it can be quite cheezy to be up on stage with a Slash wig. But if you're playing a big room with a big audience, the overall effect of the costumes is great. The Catch is that you're probably not going to GET the bigger gigs unless you are willing to suffer through some smaller gigs in your costumes.

This is true. A little story to back it up: A bunch of decent musicians in my area started an tribute to 80s rock. They wore the wigs and the hard rock 80s clothes, had a big light show and the works... But they were stuck looking really silly in small clubs playing to 12 people. After several shows most of the members started shedding the 80s rock attire and about 6 months in the band ended up being just another rock band with a dated setlist.

a little OT but anyway: IMO (and the opinion of one of the guitar players) it was their setlist that did them in. It was not good. Most of the decision makers in this band were pushing 50 years old. They picked songs they liked when they were young. not really songs that their crowd (30 somethings) wanted to hear. So with a crappy set + no 80s costumes the gigs dried up. I think they were charging a lot too.

so like I said to get back to the OP. If you are an 80s rock tribute (apparently you are) then you guys are OK. Actually I think you guys are pretty damn good.

• Members

Uh....you don't think Steven Adler has his own gimmick already for drawing crowds? When you get a former member of the band to join yours, maybe I'll bother to go see you. Otherwise, I'm going to leave disappointed that you were too lazy or think you're too cool to try and look the part.

Look, you don't HAVE to dress like Slash if you don't want to. Just tellin' ya..the truth is that if you have two musicially-identical GnR tribute bands, the one who dresses like them will get more work for more money. In fact, the dress-up band will get more work for more money than a lot of GnR tribute bands who ARE BETTER musically.

Just the way the business works. You can do all the handstands you want trying to convince yourself otherwise because you personally find dressing up to be "cheesy". But it doesn't change the facts, my friend.

I understand your point but where we play, people doesnt really care and our singer take care of the crowd. And we only do 4 of 5 show a year and we always change our music. We started as an Ozzy tribute band, after that, some covers of old school rock band and now, Guns.. Next, Iron maiden.. I still find it cheesy lol! i dont see myself wear a {censored}ing big slash wig and a hat

And for the guy who was telling that it may look cheesy in a small club and look great in a big audience.. i agree..

I could find alot of tribute band who are doing well and are not wearing the same clothes etc,, and i'm sure, you could find alot of band who are doing the opposite..

and.. sorry for my bad english

• Members

I understand your point but where we play, people doesnt really care and our singer take care of the crowd. And we only do 4 of 5 show a year and we always change our music. We started as an Ozzy tribute band, after that, some covers of old school rock band and now, Guns.. Next, Iron maiden.. I still find it cheesy lol! i dont see myself wear a {censored}ing big slash wig and a hat

If you're not that interested in doing the full-on tribute thing and trying to make good money with it, then it doesn't really matter. Just play the songs you like and have fun!

But I still want to ask you--what makes you think people where you play don't really care if the band dresses up or not? How would you know if you've never tried it?

• Members

For me, it's an all or nothing thing. If the singer's gonna dress up like Axl, the rest have to look the part. Hell, if you're not going to put on a wig and a top hat, at least wear a fried chicken bucket on your head (only about 5 people will get that :poke:).

The point is this, having a singer dress up like the real deal while the rest of you don't just looks a little silly IMO.

One last thing. Two tribute bands that are equal in every way musically. One dresses the part. The other doesn't. The one that does will make SIGNIFICANTLY more money and be thought of SIGNIFICANTLY better than the one that doesn't. No doubt.

• Members

One last thing. Two tribute bands that are equal in every way musically. One dresses the part. The other doesn't. The one that does will make SIGNIFICANTLY more money and be thought of SIGNIFICANTLY better than the one that doesn't. No doubt.

Apparently, much more important than what the audience thinks of him or how much he can do to help the band make more money is whether or not the guitar player thinks of himself as "cheesy".:facepalm:

• Members
Apparently, much more important than what the audience thinks or how much money the band can make is that if the guitar player himself thinks he is "cheesy".
:facepalm:

I'm cheesy.

I just got back from watching my former band play a gig.

I was all over the place, rocking and out and having a good time. I have pics.

I had a lady literally congratulate me on my performance afterwards, and I wasn't even on the stage. She says she's coming out to see our band gig this saturday, but we'll see.

Fear of cheese is weaksauce. That ain't rock and roll, and it ain't even any kind of integrity.

It's just weaksauce.

There, I said it. Damn neck gazer guitarists - look up and out every once and a while - join the show!

• Members

Yep. This video on their website kicks ass:

They didn't end up playing for a packed room at the House of Blues with Michael Anthony sitting in because the Dave and Eddie guys didn't want to dress the part or do their hair.

It still amazes me how much Michael Anthony had to do with the VH sound. What a cool backup voice.

Archived